CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skin/scalp issues leading to hair issues

5 posters

Go down

Skin/scalp issues leading to hair issues Empty Skin/scalp issues leading to hair issues

Post by QueenAquita 14th December 2010, 1:13 am

I have a skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis which causes me to have very dry flaky scalp and skin around my hair line and on my face. In order to keep the condition in check I have to constantly wash my hair with either a medicated shampoo or a shampoo containing tea tree. On average I shampoo my hair 3-4 times a week and this is causing me to have dry brittle hair, I try to moisturize to the best of my abilities but I'm not seeing any progress as far as moisture. My hair is so dry at times I'm afraid to touch it let alone try to style it. This issue is also preventing me from being able to do protective styling because of the constant washing which I fear will begin to hinder my hair growth. This issue is becoming very discouraging.

I wanted to know if anyone else in the natural community is dealing with this or a similar situation and how they are handling it.

QueenAquita

Back to top Go down

Skin/scalp issues leading to hair issues Empty Re: Skin/scalp issues leading to hair issues

Post by Emartini04 14th December 2010, 1:27 am

Yep. Me right here. Nice to meet you bounce

Well your hair may have dry issues because of the shampoo you're using and the ingredients that are inside of them. Try co washing your hair instead to give your hair that extra moisture. They have conditioners with tea tree oil inside of them so don't worry about it. Also see if your doctor can give you a scalp solution instead so you won't have to constantly wash your hair so much.

Ok for the scalp issues .. try doing an apple cider vinegar rinse at least once a week. It sounds gross but trust me girl it really works for people like us with itchy dry scalps. All you need is 1/3 of apple cider vinegar and a cup of water. Pour throughout your hair and allow to sit for 5 minutes then RINSE out. Don't shampoo out. You'll smell like a salad for a little while but trust me the smell will wear off. Also try not to use any products with fragrance until your scalp clears up and oil your scalp every 2 -3 days because it cravessss moisture.

I hope this helped you in some way and if you have anymore questions please feel free to hit me up.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Skin/scalp issues leading to hair issues Empty Re: Skin/scalp issues leading to hair issues

Post by TiseeBabee 14th December 2010, 1:44 am

This was me last year...scared to do anything.

I used the apple cider vinegar rinses every time I washed, I started using coconut oil to soothe my scalp. I also pre-poo and spent extra time deep conditioning my hair every week. Very time consuming, but I have little to no problems with my scalp now. Also, stay away from sulfates, SLS, (SLS alternatives), mineral oil, and things like that.

HTH
TiseeBabee
TiseeBabee

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenAquita 14th December 2010, 1:07 pm

Well I will definitely be stopping at the store today for some ACV. I have just been afraid that it would burn or irritate my scalp in some way but I guess it won't hurt to give it a try at this point. I just want to start making some type of progress because right now I feel like my hair is suffering.

QueenAquita

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 14th December 2010, 2:00 pm

Just don't scratch before your pour because it will burn!!
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 14th December 2010, 3:14 pm

I have seb. derm. as well and I use a prescribed medicated shampoo (ketoconazole). The trick with using the medicated shampoo is to get it only on your scalp. Don't 'wash' your hair with it b/c think about it, your hair isn't the problem, its your scalp. I part/section my hair and go through applying the shampoo directly to my scalp and rub it in. I let it sit in my hair for about 10 minutes and then wash it out. When I first got diagnosed with seb. derm. in the summer I was washing my hair every two days (the doctor suggest every day but I said 'heck no'), now its a bit more under control so I just wash once a week. Whenever the weather changes (like now) it flares up, so I may bump up to washing twice a week. For my hair itself, I wash it with sulfate-free shampoo and deep condition once a week (add oils and honey to my DC), so even with using the medicated shampoo on my scalp my hair is still soft and moisturized. I also don't put any oils or anything directly on my scalp b/c that is what the fungus (fungus causes seb. derm.) lives off of.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 14th December 2010, 11:06 pm

QueenAquita I understand the frustration. I have eczema and have dealt with seborrheic dermatitis mostly all of my life. My skin is extremely sensitive and issue prone. I stopped using prescribed Nizoral shampoo when I went natural and I kind of regret it.

I wash weekly. The day before I wash I mix tea tree and peppermint oil together and apply it to my scalp. This helps with lifting the dead skin--so it washes away without me scratching my head.

This weekend was the first weekend I did an ACV wash. So far I've had decent results considering the issue.

ebonediva
ebonediva

http://God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It....AMEN

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenAquita 14th December 2010, 11:42 pm

Today I tried the ACV rinse and while it smelled like I was making cucumber salad in the shower it didn't burn like I thought it would. I followed by doing a semi DC which means I was only able to keep it in for a few minutes because I was called out of the house. I plan on repeating the ACV this weekend with an intense DC. If I am able to see improvement in my scalp health after the next few weeks I will definitely be continuing with this regimen.

@BajanPrincess82 I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis when I was 12 yrs old so you would think that I would have the condition under control by now but when one thing doesn't work my dermatologist switches me to something else. I tried applying the medicated shampoo to my scalp directly but my hair is sooo thick I was still getting it on my hair.

QueenAquita

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down