CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious scalp issues anyone?

5 posters

Go down

Serious scalp issues anyone? Empty Serious scalp issues anyone?

Post by reginastwin 3rd January 2010, 8:35 pm

Do any of you natural ladies suffer with severe dry scalp issues such as seborrheic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis? I have this problem and I was wondering if someone can share some scalp care tips with me since I am a newby. In my relaxer days I used a prescription scalp oil containing a mild topical steroid. But I was wondering if anyone found a special hair cair regimen or natural remedy for this problem. Thanks
reginastwin
reginastwin

Back to top Go down

Serious scalp issues anyone? Empty Re: Serious scalp issues anyone?

Post by Curly Film Chick 5th January 2010, 1:15 pm

What about tea tree oil? I have scalp issues and I use tea tree and EVCO and it really really helps. I found a link giving a brief overview of tea tree here:

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/TeaTreeOil.htm

hopes this helps
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 5th January 2010, 7:06 pm

I have suffered from seborrheic dermatitis since I was in middle school or so. There are times where I was okay and other times it would flare up horribly. It made me very self conscious. One time, it even spread to my eyebrows when I was in 9th grade! A topical lotion helped with that. Over the years however, I've used so many different medications and shampoos that were supposed to help me but nothing really work. The most luck I had was with T-Gel shampoo and I think when I used to go to this one salon, the hairdresser used the Keracare line of products for dry scalp. Now, what I found to have worked better then all of these different medications is apple cider vinegar! Simple but effective. I put some on my scalp and let it on for thirty minutes and my scalp has never been as clear as it is now. I still have some flakes in some areas but ACV has helped me greatly.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 6th January 2010, 3:05 pm

My husband has seborrheic dermatitis. There is a SebaMed and SeboCalm line that is HEAVEN for your hair, and skin. They have differnet moisturizers, shampoos, body washes, etc. He has tried everything in the US and nothing really has worked...he got these from Israel...you can probably order them online, and they are not that expensive (in israel they arent anyway)
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by reginastwin 7th January 2010, 8:41 pm

Curly Film Chick wrote:What about tea tree oil? I have scalp issues and I use tea tree and EVCO and it really really helps. I found a link giving a brief overview of tea tree here:

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/TeaTreeOil.htm

hopes this helps

Thanks for the info. I do have a tea tree/aloe vera combo oil. I could use. I'll give it a try. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming EVCO is "extra virgin coconut oil". How often do you apply?
reginastwin
reginastwin

Back to top Go down

Post by reginastwin 7th January 2010, 8:42 pm

cutephantasm wrote:My husband has seborrheic dermatitis. There is a SebaMed and SeboCalm line that is HEAVEN for your hair, and skin. They have differnet moisturizers, shampoos, body washes, etc. He has tried everything in the US and nothing really has worked...he got these from Israel...you can probably order them online, and they are not that expensive (in israel they arent anyway)

Thanks Cutephantasm. I'll definitely look that up online.
reginastwin
reginastwin

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 7th January 2010, 8:45 pm

@reginastwin my scalp has been itching and peeling like crazy..it has calmed down the last few days but I am waiting to get in to see a dermatologist to see what is going on. I thought it was just a bad case of dandruff and I'm hoping that's all it is. I just keep oiling my scalp with essential oils...
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by reginastwin 7th January 2010, 8:50 pm

Janique wrote:I have suffered from seborrheic dermatitis since I was in middle school or so. There are times where I was okay and other times it would flare up horribly. It made me very self conscious. One time, it even spread to my eyebrows when I was in 9th grade! A topical lotion helped with that. Over the years however, I've used so many different medications and shampoos that were supposed to help me but nothing really work. The most luck I had was with T-Gel shampoo and I think when I used to go to this one salon, the hairdresser used the Keracare line of products for dry scalp. Now, what I found to have worked better then all of these different medications is apple cider vinegar! Simple but effective. I put some on my scalp and let it on for thirty minutes and my scalp has never been as clear as it is now. I still have some flakes in some areas but ACV has helped me greatly.

Wouldn't you know the most inexpensive and simple products always work the best. I think the weather and my diet plays a great part in my flare-ups. Right now I'm swearing off caffeine and reducing my sugar intake to see if it improves. I know from experience that scalp issues are very embarrassing. Once I had such a severe flareup that my hairdresser at the time accused me of not washing my hair right in front of another client! Needless to say I don't see her anymore. Thanks for the ACV tip. I will try it next hair day. Do you DT afterwards?
reginastwin
reginastwin

Back to top Go down

Post by reginastwin 7th January 2010, 8:56 pm

loveself247 wrote:@reginastwin my scalp has been itching and peeling like crazy..it has calmed down the last few days but I am waiting to get in to see a dermatologist to see what is going on. I thought it was just a bad case of dandruff and I'm hoping that's all it is. I just keep oiling my scalp with essential oils...

It sounds like inflammation. I had the same problem. That's why I had to go natural because my dermatologist said the relaxers were making it worse. Try not to break your scalp when you scratch because it'll make it much worse. Also, I try to wash my hair with lukewarm almost cool water to calm my scalp down. Make sure you use no heat until your scalp calms down. Do you notice a change with different styling products?
reginastwin
reginastwin

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 7th January 2010, 8:56 pm

@reginastwin..yup..I think too it has alot to do with the weather..I just moved to Houston from Detroit, Michigan and although it doesn't get really cold here,,,the weather has a tendency to drop a bit...lol. my scalp will only itch and peel in the front across my hair line and crown but nowhere else. My scalp looks and feels normal, I just have these ridiculous sheets of skin peeling off mys scalp at time. Gross right...lol. I have to comb it through my hair to my ends in order to get it off.. Yuk.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 7th January 2010, 11:21 pm

Well I put the ACV on my when I'm about to wash my hair. After 30 minutes, I wash my hair and scalp with baking soda. Then afterward, I deep condition. About once a month, I also use the ACV to clarify my hair. It makes my hair look shinier after using it.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down