CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did your natural hair texture surprise you?

+5
Ebbz
dnzblack
Curly Film Chick
AllNaturalBeauty
mizcreativelyme
9 posters

Go down

Did your natural hair texture surprise you? Empty Did your natural hair texture surprise you?

Post by mizcreativelyme 13th December 2010, 10:58 am

Happy Holidays Curlies! Please allow me to start off by saying that this post is NOT intended to deem any texture as "good" or "bad." But more so to explore how we've fallen in love with our delicate tresses. When I first went natural, even with having years of experience as a kitchen-beautician, I still had no idea how I would go about styling let alone taking care of my natural hair (thank goodness for hair blogs/vlogs). And Although I admire many natural beauties, at the end of the day the hair that grows from my scalp is what I have to work with. No two heads are identical. Needless to say, the texture of my untamed coifs have pleasantly surprised me! Since the day of the big reveal, I've never looked back. Aside from the infamous creamy crack dream or shall I say nightmare, long gone are the days of bio-hazard sessions to achieve a thin 'n limp roller wrap style that only lasted 2 days. I had no clue that I really didn't NEED a relaxer for more 'manageable' hair. As an added bonus, I enjoy how my natural hair can be free-form and still be DivaViscious. So my question to you ladies, has your natural hair texture surprised you? And do you find it to be more manageable/versatile than when you were relaxed?
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Did your natural hair texture surprise you? Empty Re: Did your natural hair texture surprise you?

Post by AllNaturalBeauty 13th December 2010, 11:58 am

I transitioned with extensions and sew ins so I really had no clue what my texture would look like. I remember cutting some of the relaxer off just a small part of my hair in the back and it was really curly, cute bouncy soft curls. Well when I did the big chop, I found out that my hair has many different textures, and I was very surprised, haha! 3b/c and 4a all mixed in. Some days I feel like my hair is so easy to manage and other days I just don't even want to deal with it, but I would never go back to a relaxer, I still love my natural hair Smile
AllNaturalBeauty
AllNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Did your natural hair texture surprise you? Empty Re: Did your natural hair texture surprise you?

Post by Curly Film Chick 13th December 2010, 12:40 pm

I've been natural all my life and was still surprised about my natural healthy texture. I was just like whoa my hair does this and THIS? awesome Very Happy
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dnzblack 13th December 2010, 12:54 pm

I stopped relaxing in March and have been wearing braids until this weekend. I was very surprised at my hair. I love it! It is quite an adjustment but I am going to take it one day at a time and enjoy the journey. I educate myself by watching videos and reading blogs. I have to get the frizz and dryness underway and I will be on point! Loving my hair!!

dnzblack

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 13th December 2010, 2:00 pm

I BC'd in July after a 3 month transition. I watched a lot of youtube videos and thought that my hair would have the nice spirals and big coils that I saw a lot of other naturals with. I was surprised to find the fine, yet tough free moving texture of my 4a/4b ish hair. It was very thick, but my hair has always been thick, even when I relaxed but I barely saw a curl pattern. Since that day I realized, all of us are not born with the same texture and I must embrace what I was given by God. I love my hair texture now!
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by pie 13th December 2010, 2:19 pm

Ebbz wrote:I BC'd in July after a 3 month transition. I watched a lot of youtube videos and thought that my hair would have the nice spirals and big coils that I saw a lot of other naturals with. I was surprised to find the fine, yet tough free moving texture of my 4a/4b ish hair. It was very thick, but my hair has always been thick, even when I relaxed but I barely saw a curl pattern. Since that day I realized, all of us are not born with the same texture and I must embrace what I was given by God. I love my hair texture now!

I was going to responds but this is exactly what I was going to write, except I bc'd in Aug. LOL. I love my hair now and my twist-outs are fierce........... Very Happy
pie
pie

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 13th December 2010, 2:28 pm

In the beginning? No. But as my hair grew? YES. I was like "wait, why are the curls bigger here and small as hell THERE?? AND WHERE DID ALL THIS FRIZZ COME FROM!?" lol! These days, I know what to expect from my hair so I'm not too surprised anymore. I'm just waiting for it to grow more so I can finally get locs next year! Very Happy
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 13th December 2010, 2:30 pm

Yes it did ...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 13th December 2010, 3:06 pm

I was surprised that my dreaded "kitchen" is my least kinky hair, the curls are loose and easiest to detangle back there. What was my mom complaining about with the hot comb all those years? LOL. I also thought most natural hair was what is actually a picked out afro. I had no idea that my hair would make curls. I assumed I would have a Michael Jackson fro because I had "regular" black people hair. I was totally ignorant about my own texture, as well as the many textures of black people's hair.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down