CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's Your Current Hair Care Regimen?

2 posters

Go down

What's Your Current Hair Care Regimen? Empty What's Your Current Hair Care Regimen?

Post by exhale1913 1st December 2009, 3:54 am

I am always looking to tweak my hair care regimen with new ideas, so ladies please dish on your current regimen. Include your hair type, products, and be as detailed as possible.

I’ll start off with mine, my hair type is 4a/4b

Every 3-4 weeks:

- Finger detangle my dry hair to remove any shed hair because I typically wear combination of twists or twist-outs for 2-3 weeks at a time

- Pre-poo with strengthening/protein treatment on dry hair for 25-30 min
Currently using Neutrogena Triple Moisture Pure Strength, layered with Vitale Olive Oil Hair
Mayonnaise. My only complaint is that you have to rinse really really well to make sure that all
of the green specks are out. I’m thinking about trying Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise
next.

- Rinse pre-poo, and shampoo with diluted shampoo in the shower. I use an applicator
bottle, and squeeze shampoo on my scalp throughout my head, and use my fingers to massage
my scalp only.
Currently using Crème of Nature, Old formula, green bottle. Every once and a while, I’ll use
Suave daily clarifying shampoo. Thinking about trying diluted castile soap next.

- Apply deep condition and leave on overnight. Use with plastic caps, and cover with scarf to
retain body heat. Deep condition with conditioner mixed with extra virgin olive oil, home health
castor oil, and sometimes honey.
Currently using Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol Crème Conditioner mixed with Neutrogena Triple
Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner with EVOO, castor oil, and/or honey

- Detangle in medium-small sections in the morning using wide tooth comb, followed by a
toothed comb from the ends to the roots, and twist. Use the smaller toothed comb to make
sure that my roots are thoroughly detangled. This takes me a little over an hour to do, and is the
longest part of my process. I used to try and do this in the shower, but it takes too long, so I
sit down in front of the mirror, and take my time.

- Rinse out deep conditioner in the shower, with twists still in.

- Dry drippies, and apply creamy-leave in along with oil based moisturizer to each twist.
Currently using Giovanni direct leave in with my whipped shea butter concoction consisting of
unrefined organic shea butter whipped with extra virgin olive oil or Qhemet Biologics Alma and
Olive Heavy Cream

- Style. Most of the time, I either take down each twist and do smaller twists on wet hair, or put
in bigger sections to dry/stretch, and do smaller twists on dry hair. I twist with QB-AOHC, or
my whipped shea butter.

Nightly/every other night, I moisturize, concentrating on my ends with either QB-AOHC, Whipped Shea Butter, or Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair lotion.

If I keep the twists in for more than two weeks, I’ll rinse my hair with diluted conditioner, using a light cowash conditioner like Suave Coconut, Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa, and then moisturize the twists with either the Giovanni and whipped shea butter, or one of the nightly moisturizers that I mention above.

I know that this is a long post, but I would really appreciate reading about your current hair care regimen. The longer that I’m on my hair care journey, the more I’m starting to realize that technique is just as, if not more important, as products!!

exhale1913
exhale1913

Back to top Go down

What's Your Current Hair Care Regimen? Empty Re: What's Your Current Hair Care Regimen?

Post by maysay 1st December 2009, 10:10 am

Once a week I:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Oil my hair with coconut oil (usually the night before I wash).
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Wash/condition hair in the shower. Generally I use Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner mixed with water and baking soda (but sometimes I do try new things, but that mix is my favorite). I leave the conditioner mix on for the duration of my shower and rinse at the end. I generally wash my hair loose. Squeeze out extra water with a towel or something.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Add moisturizer as I section, detangle, and twist or braid. Airdry. Favorite moisturizer right now is Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, but really any moisturizer that allows me to detangle easily and makes my hair feel good works. For the longest I only used coconut oil for this step (though it's not a moisturizer) and still do depending on my mood.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Wear the twists/braids or a loose pinned up style for the week.

I wear my scarf every night (from prettywrap.com [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ). Throughout the week I add some coconut oil or moisturizer if my hair feels like it's getting dry. I always wear my hair stretched now (wash and go's=single strand knots [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).

Also, if I feel like I need protein I'll mix up a packet of unflavored gelatin with some hot water...put it in a spray bottle and spray it on before I oil my hair. This works for me since gelatin is hydrolyzed collagen...it's not a super hard protein, it's easily accessible, it's cheap, and it doesn't have all the extra ingredients that traditional protein treatments have.

My hair is 4a...and is 11 inches all around. I've had the same basic regimen since I began my hair journey in '08 (at 4-5inches)...though the styles I wear and some of the products have changed. I've been using coconut oil and baking soda since summer 08 and AO White Camellia for about 6 months. TW mist I just started using recently (it's great though).

maysay

Back to top Go down