CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats up with Black Hair

+10
naturallyu
Ladybug83
Thetruthisoutthere
Free2Be
SwirlyCurls90
TheRYL1
chynadoll8799
sonance
ciara89
MikMont
14 posters

Go down

Whats up with Black Hair Empty Whats up with Black Hair

Post by MikMont 5th October 2010, 6:13 pm

I found this pretty disturbing/interesting, so I decided to share. A fellow natural sent the article to me. Thoughts?

http://www.viceland.com/blogs/en/2010/07/23/pop-vox-whats-up-with-black-hair/
MikMont
MikMont

Back to top Go down

Whats up with Black Hair Empty Re: Whats up with Black Hair

Post by ciara89 5th October 2010, 6:39 pm

I thought that the article was sad but yet informative. Even though we have come into out own and has accepted our hair, they have not, and the sad part is that they think thier natural hair is bad, but a lot of women feel that way. When I was reading the interview I felt like I was back in high school reading the Bluest Eye. It sad but its the truth and they are just the tip of the iceberg.
ciara89
ciara89

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 5th October 2010, 6:46 pm

Yes, very disturbing but not surprising. So many of us naturals felt the same way just a few years ago! Proper education on our hair and self-love will be needed to change that negative way of thinking.
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 5th October 2010, 6:58 pm

disturbing, to say the least.

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 5th October 2010, 7:05 pm

I agree, disturbing, but not surprising!

It's just like one of my friend's saying, "I can't go natural because I don't have 'good hair' like you." The same mentality...different country!

It's unfortunate so many of us believe our natural texture is "horrible". All we can do is continue to be role models to let folks know: IT'S ALL GOOD, IN ALL IT'S FORMS! LOL

TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by SwirlyCurls90 5th October 2010, 7:06 pm

Thats sad. But I'm not surprised. I encountered a lot of racism in France on a study abroad. I wore my hair curly the whole time and people talked about my hair like I was from a different planet. I can't imagine what those girls re going through LIVING there. I just wish we as women of color could rise above what people say about our appearance. Oh btw, is anyone else FREAKING that black women are calling themselves "niggas" in a foreign country? The media has taken that word everywhere. Disheartening.

SwirlyCurls90

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 5th October 2010, 8:23 pm

Hmm. Profoundly disturbing and sad. But think about how many of us once had those same feelings about natural hair...or worse, how many of our friends and family members still do. Ugh.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 5th October 2010, 9:08 pm

So sad to see such lovely young women regarding a part of themselves as "disgusting".

Soon, they will be learn to care for hair properly, like we are learning to now, with natural-hair friendly products.

I'm a child of the '60s - we used us some Prell concentrate or dishwashing liquid back in the day! No conditioner either - pressed flat with "Hair REP" and "Dixie Peach". No wonder our hair looked dried and jacked up. Evil or Very Mad

Jheri came along providing moisture and smoothness, and raise your hand if you wrapped your relaxer down with "baby oil"!

Europeans are always mimicing American style. It's just a matter of time before they catch on to what we're doing over here and start burning those wigs and weaves on the other side of the pond too.
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 5th October 2010, 9:09 pm

I'm so disturbed by that article. Especially the 15 year old who plans to marry a white guy so that her children can have "good" hair. It reminds me of a girl that I knew in high school. She was very beautiful, yet couldn't see it for herself. She constantly made negative comments about her dark skin, short hair, and more African features. She vowed to marry a light skin guy so that her children would not have her skin tone. So sad. Too much self-hatred....

Ladybug83

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 5th October 2010, 9:22 pm

It is sad, but they lack the natural hair education that we have received. We have learned through trial and error, online blogs, books, etc. how to treat our natural hair and how to love our natural hair. With the resurgence of black women going back to natural and realizing that the chemicals are not only harmful but alter our appearance, we have hope that more people will learn about their own natural hair textures. A lot of the statements made on the interview were myths that a lot of us held in the past.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th October 2010, 9:40 pm

lmao..sum ppl r pitiful and honestly, i think sum ppl will nevr change, not juss when it comez to hair, but in other ways also Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 6th October 2010, 2:35 am

Sometimes the environment can create these images we have of ourselves. Yea this article is sad, but their speaking the thoughts of many girls.. I used to have the same thought about myself, but now I understand why. If you grow up being told your hair is nappy, or you're too dark, and other disturbing opinions, your brain is trained to think this way about yourself and others. Glad to say I don't think that way now.. but once upon a time I did. I was always led to believe that light was better, and straight hair was good hair. I have a 7yr old niece and make it a point to tell her how pretty she is, and how nice her natural hair is (helps having someone who looks like you). I don't want her to grow up with ANY negative thoughts of what she shouldn't look like. She's my biggest cheerleader!! run
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 6th October 2010, 10:10 am

Wow, it was sad. But I agree that it is mostly due to lack of information and a poor self image.
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by bludini1 6th October 2010, 10:35 am

The saddest part about this article is that these young women will pass this mentality on to their children. How do we expect anyone else to have good things to say about us if we are so hard on ourselves. Sometimes we are our worst enemy and our biggest critic.

And yes, I am not feeling the women addressing themselves as "niggas" but again, that is a reflection of how they feel about themselves.

bludini1

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 6th October 2010, 2:11 pm

What?!!! I can't say I'm shocked since I've heard the same comments from people that I know. It's just sad to see how prevalent it is. I'm not even going to get into the "out there there nigga" piece. Let me think about it over lunch and I'll something later.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down