CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gone natural but reverted to relaxed

+18
trae
naomimaxine927
Karyn
Ekaette
~*Kiana*~
ladygogohot
FalconTress
aprilj90
morenachula
Ambitious_Tiff
courtrhapsody
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
naturally yours
bludini1
SummerSkye
j. kinky
creolebeauty1
CiaE
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gone natural but reverted to relaxed Empty Gone natural but reverted to relaxed

Post by CiaE 10th December 2010, 12:29 am

I am not against perms because I am "pro-choice" when it comes to hair. I am also pro healthy hair, so i was just wonder what are your takes on the issue? Are any of you in this situation??
CiaE
CiaE

http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Gone natural but reverted to relaxed Empty Re: Gone natural but reverted to relaxed

Post by creolebeauty1 10th December 2010, 1:28 am

what situation is that ?
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Gone natural but reverted to relaxed Empty Re: Gone natural but reverted to relaxed

Post by Guest 10th December 2010, 1:30 am

like when ur natural and u go back to relaxing ur hair....hmmmm...good post; even ppl who have thought about it, which i'm sure alot have should even post in response to this....not gonna lie, i've thought about going back to relaxed, but i couldn't even if i wanted to and it would be such a HUGE mistake; PLUS i've found a great moisturizer, which defines my curls well and i'm starting to fall in love w/ my curls lol, so it helps to rebuke any kind of temptation~ Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 10th December 2010, 1:39 am

going back to relaxer...hmmm...it popped in my mind from time to time when i was transitioning for 2 long years but i remember how damage my hair was and the hair i was losing and all the heat i used and i dismiss it. I spend to much time and money getting my hair back healthy and beautiful i refuse to let the creamy crack ever touch my head again. I am happy to be nappy!!!!
Like Whitney said..."crack is whack"
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 10th December 2010, 1:55 am

O i see im in transition and after 9 months of hard work relaxing is the last thing on my mind right now after a few years of fully natural hair idk what my state of mind would be but the way i look at it now days if straight hair is what i wanted i can always get my hair flat ironed and go back to my fro , our natural hair is so versatile i think a relaxer truly hold us back to exploring other options so no i do not think of relaxing again i will however get my hair straighten every 6 months as a treat after i'm fully natural though just to keep it versatile and enjoy it :)but if someone was natural and went back i wouldn't judge them but i would think they weren't exploring all their options
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 10th December 2010, 2:00 am

I agree with creole...i mean our hair is so unique and is our own. why do i want to do boring straight look...again
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 10th December 2010, 2:55 am

Okay, @creolebeauty - First of all, everything about your avatar is hot!

Now, the topic at hand. I am also pro-choice when it comes to hair because I triple dog dare someont tell me what to do with mine! :-)

I was never into relaxers that much anyway. Most of my life I just thermally straightened my hair. I'm just not interested in straight hair for me - at least not as a regular/ usual way to wear my hair. If my hair was thicker maybe I'd think differently. So, for me straight hair is the equivalent of a bun. Buns take less time and I don't have to pay anyone to do it!
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

http://plumspectacles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 10th December 2010, 4:13 am

Thank you @ miss Summer sky .. Smile
and jkinky
I mean im going through the storm and back with this transition as far as time it takes so long it's been 9 months and i have until april to cut than really start growing after 2 or 3 years to just relax it OMG i would cry lol after all the pain i'm going through lol
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by bludini1 10th December 2010, 10:47 am

I too am definately pro choice, everything is not for everyone.
Because I don't have the option to relax again due to my scarring alopecia, it does get to me at times. There have been days during this long 14 mo transition where I long for the funky relaxer smell. Then, I wake up, shake my big curls and my momentary lapse of reasoning disappears.

bludini1

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 10th December 2010, 10:47 am

SummerSkye wrote:Okay, @creolebeauty - First of all, everything about your avatar is hot!

Now, the topic at hand. I am also pro-choice when it comes to hair because I triple dog dare someont tell me what to do with mine! :-)

I was never into relaxers that much anyway. Most of my life I just thermally straightened my hair. I'm just not interested in straight hair for me - at least not as a regular/ usual way to wear my hair. If my hair was thicker maybe I'd think differently. So, for me straight hair is the equivalent of a bun. Buns take less time and I don't have to pay anyone to do it!

Good for you guys!! But what is thermally straighten??? lol

I first thought about gooing back to a relaxer after I BC'ed because of all the negative energy I received... My parent literally had my cry for a couple days. When i thought about it after awhile...i convinced myself that i came too far to put that cream back in my head. It was my choice to go natural and i never appreciated my hair when it was relaxed anyway.

I had a few friends transition for months and then give up...i do feel sorry for them but they all said they were disappointed in themselves but couldn't mange their hair. In my opinion not everyone can go natural if they are not mentally prepared...which is what i experienced but snapped back to reality =)
Thank God im natural!!!!
CiaE
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by naturally yours 10th December 2010, 11:10 am

i know i wont go back to relaxing. when i want to go straight i will flatiron. im pro choice, a person should wear their hair how they want to. if a natural went back to relaxing, so what its her hair. if i never want to go straight again that dosent mean other people shouldnt want to go straight. we are all different and have different preferences.

Last edited by naturally yours on 10th December 2010, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

naturally yours

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 10th December 2010, 11:26 am

I am def. pro choice as well. I think that you should do what makes you feel beautiful. That being said I just think that whatever state you where your hair in you should take care of it so that it's healthy. As for myself I have no desire to ever go back to the crack not even even when I was transitioning. I think the one and ONLY time it even crossed my mind was when my mom was making fun of me real bad after i fist BCd. But even then...I just made a decision to let the ridicule strengthen my resolve to do what I want to do which is stay natural. (Now she loves my hair btw lol) I look back @ pics of my permed hair now and realize it was thinning and limp and lifeless...unrecognizeable as the lush thick long hair i had as a child. I will never go back b/c it's whats best for ME.

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 10th December 2010, 12:03 pm

I don't see myself ever relaxing again. I will never say never, but I highly doubt I will ever want to. But I will still notice if a woman looks really nice with a relaxed style and I gots no problem with it. I also have white friends who blow out and flat iron their hair every day and would not leave the house with curls or waves, and no one would have a strong opinion about that choice. I am pro-choice all around.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 10th December 2010, 12:12 pm

I concur. I certainly am pro choice but I am not above touting the benefits of going natural, lol. Whenever someone talks to me about how damaged or sad their hair is, I throw in some tips I have learned in taking care of my natural hair (Lol, I don't try to convince, I just like to enlighten). I just think as long as you're happy with your hair, its all good. Perm it, flat iron it, press it, twist it, braid it, just love it whatever your choice is. I haven't considered perming again (How would I get that adorable lil curly fro then?) b/c I love my hair in all of its fluffy, lush, natural, magnificence! afro
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by morenachula 10th December 2010, 12:18 pm

Well I went natural back in 2004, then sometime in 2006 I went back to the relaxer. I began to regret it shortly afterward. This Nov 2010 marked one year of no relaxers. I even cut off a few inches. My natural wave pattern is coming back sooner than I thought and I even saw a few curls in the areas where the hair is shorter. I don't go around scolding those who relax their hair....to each is own.
morenachula
morenachula

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 10th December 2010, 12:40 pm

Last year I decided I wanted to go natural without the big chop. I went six months (4 in of new growth) before getting another perm. Now I'm back and ready to start again. It was a learning experience and I feel like I'm better able to handle what's coming up because I've already been there and done that lol
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 10th December 2010, 1:04 pm

I also agree that people have to make their own decision. There are trade-offs with being natural or relaxed and people have to decide for themselves what they can tolerate. The subject is just too personal for me to declare myself a qualified interventionist. lol

There are overzealous people on both sides who forget that it is just hair and they cannot control what other people do with theirs. Sometimes emotions cloud judgement and someone who can accept science in other areas of life reject facts about hair. Sometimes people know the facts and still make a decision to do potentially harfmul things.

I do me. Period. Some days me is "out" hair , some days it is a bun.
I doubt if I will ever put a relaxer in my hair again. I can't think of any circumstances that would make me do it, but I cannot see into the future.

I try to phrase any advice I give as suggestions ( I also try to remember to include "this works for me") and research the information I see to identify the source of some of the facts & theories that are floating around. That doesn't mean that we can't have a sense of humor.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 10th December 2010, 1:08 pm

I honestly feel bad though... When i am around people with relaxed hair i do tend to speak fondly of naturals...giving them the idea that i hate relaxers (which i do) but its a personal thought. I feel sometimes people just get my pro-choice mixed up with radical natural hairism lol
CiaE
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 10th December 2010, 1:19 pm

Well, What a topic!!! I am pro-choice and to each his own.

On another note, if i want straight hair, i wear a wig!! Laughing and i keep a tub or ole relaxer in my bathroom so when i am twisting or having a hair moment i pull it out and smell it and i am convince- Never again.

I love my Natural hair and i want a big ridiculous fro afro
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 10th December 2010, 2:13 pm

LOL @ radical natural hairism! You are too funny. Razz
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 10th December 2010, 2:41 pm

I am PRO choice as well.
For me I don't think I will relax again, but like others I will NEVER say NEVER. But I'd found that I can achieve what I want with a good protectant and flat iron, so If I do want to be straight I can, and if I want curls I can....I want DIVERSITY!!!
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 10th December 2010, 4:25 pm

i keep a tub or ole relaxer in my bathroom so when i am twisting or having a hair moment i pull it out and smell it and i am convince- Never again.

Wow! That is a righteous deterrent ladygogohot.
I had trouble using the infamous Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner because it reminded me of the relaxer odor.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 10th December 2010, 11:11 pm

I look back at old pics. I've gone from this (my longest relaxed)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

To this
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My hair is way healthier now than it ever was relaxed and if I get weak I just need to look at my old pics to realize how much better my hair is natural
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 10th December 2010, 11:34 pm

ahah this reminds me of when erica (known for her freedom fro afro ) went back to relaxed. i'm gonna go find the thread, but i was so convinced she was joking LOL

as long as your hair is healthy, then it shouldn't matter what state it's in. that being said, i don't want any of those chemicals burning my scalp. i don't even look good with straight hair hahaha

https://curlynikki.forumotion.com/general-f3/i-crossed-over-to-the-dark-side-t4450.htm

^^link. LOL at me "june fools" lmao
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by naomimaxine927 11th December 2010, 12:03 am

I thought about it while I was transitioning, but I was like man, months of transitioning can be gone in 10-15 minutes. That right there made me change my mind. I was like, I'm not going through all this work/trouble for nothing!

Glad I stuck to it, when I am feeling that way, I try to do something cute with my hair, like a rod set or flat iron, to switch it up a bit.
naomimaxine927
naomimaxine927

http://beautifulkinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next