CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amla Hair Oil

4 posters

Go down

Amla Hair Oil Empty Amla Hair Oil

Post by lumii 4th December 2010, 9:20 am

I heard of Dabur Amla Hair oil lately and wanted to try it out. I'm just not sure for what purpose it is. Has anyone of your tried it and if yes, do you use it to seal your ends, use it as a DC or put it in your henna mixture?
My hair is type 4b and I'vebeen using coconut oil to seal my ends for the past 2 months. I heard sealing should help my hair grow and reduce split ends, but so far, the split ends keep coming back as usual. I don't know if I might need a heavier oil.

And btw I also want to know how well coconut milk works as a DC on type 4 hair!

I'm honestly really clueless about all this products and I really need your help Wink !
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Amla Hair Oil Empty Re: Amla Hair Oil

Post by Tminus10 4th December 2010, 11:51 am

Hi lumii,

I use Dabur Amla Oil mostly in my DCs. I mix it with Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose. I actually use this combo on dry hair before I wash with a no-poo. I tried to use it to seal but it was a little messy. I hope that helps.

Tminus10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 4th December 2010, 6:58 pm

I have used this mixed w/tea tree oil because of itching I also use it as a prepoo as well It does stink scratch so use it at night Ive only used it 2x but it has helped w/the itching
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 6th December 2010, 12:55 am

lumii wrote:I heard of Dabur Amla Hair oil lately and wanted to try it out. I'm just not sure for what purpose it is. Has anyone of your tried it and if yes, do you use it to seal your ends, use it as a DC or put it in your henna mixture?
My hair is type 4b and I'vebeen using coconut oil to seal my ends for the past 2 months. I heard sealing should help my hair grow and reduce split ends, but so far, the split ends keep coming back as usual. I don't know if I might need a heavier oil.

And btw I also want to know how well coconut milk works as a DC on type 4 hair!

I'm honestly really clueless about all this products and I really need your help Wink !

Amla oil has many proported benefits. Here is a link with a brief summary of some of them: http://www.livestrong.com/article/219676-what-are-the-benefits-of-amla-oil/

The traditional ayurvedic method of using amla is to massage the scalp with it. It is often left in overnight. Its used prior to henna so the hair will not be overly dry from the henna process also. It is a good multi-tasking oil that you can use many ways, including sealing your ends, if you like, and all the ways you mentioned above can be helpful. I use amla, but not dabur because I am suspicious of the preservative in it--t-butyl hydroquinone. You can take a look at this link to see why I am suspicious of it--http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=706418. I feel the word antioxidant is used in conjunction with the use of this ingredient because "antioxidant" is a more palatable word to the public and we pretty much associate "all things good" with antioxidant. So, I just prefer to stay away from this version of amla. There are many brands and websites that offer amla without preservatives and dyes, etc. (just google search). Often other beneficial herbs are added to amla oil--like brahmi. The 2 work very well together. I use them together sometimes. Another option is making your own. It is very easy to make by using either coconut oil or sesame oil as the base. I have some brewing now.

Lumii - Sealing does not "grow hair." The concept of sealing targets maintaining moisture. Considering your entire length of hair, the ends are the most vulnerable part because they have been exposed to the elements (environmental exposures, hair products, smoke, etc.) the longest. In other words, the ends are the oldest. An analogy is the face (skin) of a 20 year old compared to a 40 year old (under ordinary circumstances). The 40 y/o skin has been exposed 20 yrs longer and it is usually obvious in the appearance of the skin (barring outright abuse) If ends are truly split, removing them (cutting them off) will solve the problem of the existing split ends. Certain hair products minimize the appearance or give the illusion the split ends are gone. I have not seen any evidence of any product "curing" split ends. Alot of the cause of split ends has to do with our handling of the hair (such as overprocessing, brushing the hair while wet or being too rough with the hair... Dry hair is more prone to split ends as it is more prone to being damaged in general. So, this is another reason to keep the hair properly moisturized.
I am not big on "hair typing," but I can say that there are certain ingredients that are natural conditioners. Coconut milk is conditioning as is coconut oil. Now terminology comes into play, what do you mean when you say condition? Coconut oil/milk is nourishing, moisturizing, and helps smooth the hair and make it soft. This has definitely been my experience and of other people I know (all of us having different texture/density/porosity hair. I sometimes do a coconut milk conditioning treatment on my hair and have always gotten the same results using organic EVCO.

Here are 2 links for your review: http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/318031-the-health-benefits-of-coconut-milk-soap/

Hope some of this makes sense and is helpful.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down