CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flaxseed Gel

+8
morenachula
letha
gemofacurlgirl
QueenSheba
Lynnieluve
Sebastain13
ChrsLvsBks
DreamMerchant
12 posters

Go down

Flaxseed Gel Empty Flaxseed Gel

Post by DreamMerchant 28th November 2010, 11:01 pm

I finally took the plunge and made some flaxseed gel. I boiled some hot water and poured it over the flaxseed and let it sit. It will get gooey without boiling it. I used some to slick down my eges and it works really well. I just did some twists so I will have to report back tomorrow after a Monday of teaching. My hair is 90% dry and I do not feel any crunchies yet. I really want this to be a good thing!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Flaxseed Gel Empty Re: Flaxseed Gel

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th November 2010, 1:14 pm

Hmm, how long did you let it sit? Also, what color were your flax seeds?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 30th November 2010, 8:01 pm

I have the dark flaxseeds. I let it sit overnight and it got gooey. Not as gooey as if you boil it but it did get some gel.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 30th November 2010, 8:10 pm

How did you get the flax seeds out of the gel
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th November 2010, 9:18 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:How did you get the flax seeds out of the gel

Check out this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWaH8GIbLrM
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenSheba 1st December 2010, 12:42 pm

i made some gel the other week and it worked great. but, it looked and felt like slippery mucus. Did yours come out like that? I boiled my seeds and then strained the gel into the bowl and allowed it to cool.
QueenSheba
QueenSheba

Back to top Go down

Post by gemofacurlgirl 3rd December 2010, 4:26 am

I am going to make some soon I had the flax seeds for weeks now Embarassed . I think i am going to experiment with usingg half water and half aloe juice !
gemofacurlgirl
gemofacurlgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 3rd December 2010, 10:06 am

I made it and then never got to use it.. I think it took me 2 weeks to use it and then it was too late it went bad.. I think I will make small batches at a time.. I might add little extra things to mine.. I tried to make gel with unflavored Gelatin because I seen those recipes around.. I mess up and put it in the fridge.. I end up making Jello... Laughing I didn't know I wasn't suppose to put it in the fridge oh well I might try to make that again..

I actually ordered some gel from Koils by nature. Haven't received it yet but I wanted some gel that was actually natural without all the added ingredients..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 3rd December 2010, 10:08 am

gemofacurlgirl wrote:I am going to make some soon I had the flax seeds for weeks now Embarassed . I think i am going to experiment with usingg half water and half aloe juice !

That's a good idea I might use aloe vera gel for mine since I have both.. Thanks I think I will experiment with those 2..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 7th December 2010, 9:36 pm

Here is a recipe for anyone who wanted to use aloe vera gel..

A natural hair gel

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp Whole Flax Seeds
1 cup water
Pure Aloe Vera Gel, if desired
Few drops of essential oil for scent

Instructions:

Bring water to a boil. Stir the seeds into the water and reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until a gel-like lotion is formed. Strain through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into a small bottle. Add essential oils and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. If desired, you can add some pure aloe vera gel for its moisturizing properties. Fill the bottle with flax seed gel until bottle is about 3/4 full, then fill to the top with pure aloe vera gel. Gel will not flake or make the hair hard or crunchy. Safe to use everyday.

Last edited by letha on 10th December 2010, 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th December 2010, 1:21 am

MiaNia wrote:i made some gel the other week and it worked great. but, it looked and felt like slippery mucus. Did yours come out like that? I boiled my seeds and then strained the gel into the bowl and allowed it to cool.
Yes, it is very slimy.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by morenachula 10th December 2010, 12:25 pm

How much flax seed should you use to make a small batch? How much water? Okay, may be someone can share the recipe for this, lol. Also how long will it last before it has to be tossed out? What are you storing it in? Does it need to be refrigerated?

I also saw some post they use aloe vera gel....is this the same stuff I see by the sunscreen? Or is this something I get from somewhere else? Or is aloe vera gel that's homemade?
morenachula
morenachula

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 10th December 2010, 1:26 pm

morenachula wrote:How much flax seed should you use to make a small batch? How much water? Okay, may be someone can share the recipe for this, lol. Also how long will it last before it has to be tossed out? What are you storing it in? Does it need to be refrigerated?

I also saw some post they use aloe vera gel....is this the same stuff I see by the sunscreen? Or is this something I get from somewhere else? Or is aloe vera gel that's homemade?

I am going off memory from the you tube video.. It's one posted on this post also.. It's 1/2 cup of flax seeds to 2 cups of water and boil and while boiling it forms into a gel.. Strain.. After it cools you can add what you want oil and other thing.. I have one posted above I got off a website they didn't use that much flax seed.. Everybody different recipes.. That recipe I gave you may make a small batch.

Not sure how long it can last b4 tossing it out.. Right now mine is not refrigerated I made it 2 days ago but if I want it to last longer I may refrigerate it.. I don't use the same alove vera gel that says sunscreen I use the kind you get out of health food stores.. This is the one I have

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=aloe+vera+gel&hl=en&cid=17551070521543439939&ei=ZFQCTaGsDoOKNLPu5aQN&sa=title&ved=0CBgQ8wIwATgA#p

My recipe flaked a little.. Not sure what else I need to add maybe I didn't add enough of aloe vera gel..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by morenachula 10th December 2010, 1:36 pm

Thanks Letha. I guess the flax seed stuff would smell funny when it's time to be tossed. Thanks for the link....I'm going to purchase some over the weekend.
morenachula
morenachula

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 10th December 2010, 2:00 pm

morenachula wrote:Thanks Letha. I guess the flax seed stuff would smell funny when it's time to be tossed. Thanks for the link....I'm going to purchase some over the weekend.

YW but if you have a Vitamin Shoppe or whole foods store you can get it from there.. I think my 1st bottle I got was from Vitamin Shoppe.. and yea you will know when its time to throw it out.. Laughing
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by bambi 21st December 2010, 7:40 pm

Has anyone used flaxseed gel for a wash n go??
bambi
bambi

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 21st December 2010, 11:00 pm

bambi wrote:Has anyone used flaxseed gel for a wash n go??

I was waiting for it to get warmer. My hair will take a decade to try if I do a wash-n-go in cold weather.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Mdelgado35 9th January 2011, 3:22 pm

Hello everyone,

I tryed the flaxseed gel twice. the first time I thought maybe I used to much ( hair was crunchy and flaky) of the gel on the first go, so I tryed again used much less and got the same results. so I am going to stick with my hand mix of eco styler gel and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie.
Mdelgado35
Mdelgado35

https://www.facebook.com/frostycocoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Coco'sgoneKinky 7th March 2011, 6:08 pm

I absolutely luv my flaxseed gel mix.. I don't like gel on my hair because it's hard, sticky, flakly; and crunchy.. Not the flaxseed gel I made. I can move it from style to style without any regular gel problems that one may have. I use it on spritzed hair of aloe vera juice mixture, and style however I want. My hair is never hard, flakly, or crunchy. Jusy soft, touchable, irresistibles coils that I have a very hard time keeping my hands out of... Everyone hair is different; but my hair loves and responses very very well to the flaxseed gel. Please give it a try and if it's too stiff dilute it just a little. Curly hair loovveess' flaxseed gel Laughing

Coco'sgoneKinky

Back to top Go down

Post by djackson 25th March 2011, 2:27 pm

Has anyone tried use the shingling technique with the flaxseed gel?

djackson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down