CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair and Salons

3 posters

Go down

Natural Hair and Salons Empty Natural Hair and Salons

Post by Ladybug83 20th November 2010, 4:56 pm

For the first 1 1/2 months of my transition I wore breads which damaged my hairline and caused breakage. I went to my stylist, who is natural, today to have my ends trimmed and to get a flexi rod set. I did not have a good experience. She repeatedly called my hair nappy (not in a good way) and we argued back and forth about flat ironing my hair. She wanted to flat iron my my roots to match the relaxed ends, then put the flexi rods on, THEN put me under the dryer for an hour. Excessive much?!!! Then she tried to talk me into growing out the relaxer, but only wearing my hair straight. That way I could still have long, thick hair, but it would be chemical free. Did I mention that she has natural hair, which she wears in an afro?! So we proceeded to argue about that. Evil or Very Mad

She has been natural for approx. 10 years. All this time I've been wondering why her hair is so short. Well, she wears an afro for 1/2 the year, then wears it straight for a few months. She seldom uses a product for heat protection so she gets heat damage. When she wants to return to an afro she just cuts off the heat damaged ends. Crazy right? Now I'm supposed to be in her wedding next month and she wants to add in tracks to add thickness and length to my hair. Then curl all of my hair. Do you think I'm letting her get any where near my head with a flat iron. Hell-to-the-no! Thankfully, she liked the flexi rod set so I'm going to wear my hair like this.

I thought I would have a smooth transition because my stylist had natural hair; however, the more I learn about taking care of natural hair, I realize that she knows absolutely nothing!

Ladybug83

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair and Salons Empty Re: Natural Hair and Salons

Post by Jazzyrin 21st November 2010, 1:03 pm

yikes its so hard to find a good natural hair stylist!
Jazzyrin
Jazzyrin

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 21st November 2010, 1:17 pm

I think it may be time to move on from this stylist and take your hair into your own hands literally at this point... there were so many disturbing things reading your experience. The arguing, her references to your hair, the implication she liked the flexi-rod set as if the style should please her to make her day, her not wanting/listening to what YOU were saying. I could go on and on but I think you get the point and you seem to know what you have to do :-) Good luck

*Furthermore with her hair breaking off at a rapid rate from damage she's not properly taking care of her hair-there's no way she can do anything to educate me on mine..I'm just saying!
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 21st November 2010, 10:40 pm

yacoomba wrote:I think it may be time to move on from this stylist and take your hair into your own hands literally at this point... there were so many disturbing things reading your experience. The arguing, her references to your hair, the implication she liked the flexi-rod set as if the style should please her to make her day, her not wanting/listening to what YOU were saying. I could go on and on but I think you get the point and you seem to know what you have to do :-) Good luck

*Furthermore with her hair breaking off at a rapid rate from damage she's not properly taking care of her hair-there's no way she can do anything to educate me on mine..I'm just saying!

You're right. I need to start doing my own hair exclusively, but I'm scared to trim my own hair. I plan to trim only once or twice a year, so I should be safe. Hopefully....

Ladybug83

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 23rd November 2010, 12:52 pm

I'm transitioning too and I haven't had a trim since June by the hairstylist so I feel your worries on that one. A couple people transitiong on the boards suggested putting the hair in twists and clipping/trimming the hair, going to a stylist, and /or (brain fart I forgot the other one. I have my hair n twists now so before I take them out I will be clipping the ends away as sortof a self trim. I don't wear my hair straightened and have not since June of this year this works for me.
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down