CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanksgiving Day What do you have Going On

+12
CurliQsue
Renny
Karyn
Curly Film Chick
sweetdrk1
thetiffany
courtrhapsody
Sebastain13
LadyMika
BajanPrincess82
Lynnieluve
letha
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Thanksgiving Day What do you have Going On Empty Thanksgiving Day What do you have Going On

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 11:20 am

We all talked about our day after Thanksgiving what do you ladies have going on Thanksgiving day.. Anyone cooking any big meals or going over family members house to eat.. Maybe you're not celebrating at all.. Either or what do you plan to do and what do you plan to cook..

For me It's just me and my fiance..

I plan to cook Wed I will be off work

Menu
Smoked Turkey (going to smoke that bad boy myself)
Mac & Cheese
Collards

Dessert
Peaches N Cream Cheese cake I plan to make myself

This year I am just trying to keep it simple and short.. I might add some more things to the menu but its just us two.. One year I went over some people house we knew we were late and we brought a dish and all the food was gone and they had the nerve to ask is that all you brought.. This year I am going to make sure I have something to eat that is why I am cooking myself and staying home.. Laughing
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Day What do you have Going On Empty Re: Thanksgiving Day What do you have Going On

Post by Lynnieluve 17th November 2010, 11:29 am

I'm not cooking. My mom and my mother in law always cook so we will be making two stops. Very Happy

The menu usually consist of (this is at both my mom and MIL house):

Fried turkey
Traditional turkey
Ham
Dressing
Mac n cheese
collard greens
turnip greens
potato salad
green beans
3 bean salad
cabbage
rolls
sweet potato pies
pound cake
blueberry cake

That's all I can think of right now. I have upped my workouts at the gym in preparation of the overeating that will be going on!!

Oh, and I always take my tupperware with me for leftovers! Laughing
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Day What do you have Going On Empty Re: Thanksgiving Day What do you have Going On

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 11:35 am

Lynnieluve that sounds delicious and I don't blame you on that tupperware always have to plan ahead.. Very Happy

Yea after Thanksgiving I need to hit my workout regimen bad and keep it going and not fall off the band wagon..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 17th November 2010, 11:36 am

Lynnie - I have upped my workouts too! lol.

This year it will just be my husband and I so we are keeping it kind of simple. We are going to cook on Wednesday night b/c we have a lot going on Thanksgiving morning/day. First we are going to the Thanksgiving Parade here in Houston, and then participating in some feed-the-homeless type of activity (not sure which one yet).

This is what we're planning to cook at home:
Salmon (I don't eat chicken, beef, pork, etc...)
Turkey (a small one) w/ cornbread stuffing
Macaroni and Cheese
Collard Greens or green beans
corn
black eyed peas and rice
Sweet potato pie and vanilla ice cream

I'm soooo looking forward to Thanksgiving!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 17th November 2010, 11:41 am

I'm not cooking...the boyfriend doesn't want me to cook at all, since it's just the two of us. I even told him to invite his closest friends, but he's like "No, I don't want you to slave over the stove for those twats." Laughing So it'll be dinner at a nice restaurant, yet again.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 11:44 am

LadyMika wrote:I'm not cooking...the boyfriend doesn't want me to cook at all, since it's just the two of us. I even told him to invite his closest friends, but he's like "No, I don't want you to slave over the stove for those twats." Laughing So it'll be dinner at a nice restaurant, yet again.

LOL that was funny..those twats.. LadyMika you almost sound like you wanted to cook? Enjoy that day away from the stove..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th November 2010, 11:47 am

LadyMika wrote:I'm not cooking...the boyfriend doesn't want me to cook at all, since it's just the two of us. I even told him to invite his closest friends, but he's like "No, I don't want you to slave over the stove for those twats." Laughing So it'll be dinner at a nice restaurant, yet again.

What would you cook? What does a vegetarian Thanksgiving look like?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 11:48 am

Bajan Princess I am just like you except I do eat Chicken.. Been thinking about getting off that all together.. I been off beef and pork I think for about 25 years now.. I use to miss it but not anymore.

I plan to be at Kmart Thursday Morning and who else may be open.. Our job will work with Urban Ministry in providing can goods and other food items
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 11:52 am

Lynnieluve I been looking at what a Raw Food Thanksgiving looks like I was thinking about going raw completely I would b4 ok until this time of year rolls aroung.. I've seen some sites that provide a thanksgiving meals without cooking one thing. Some people act as though they never missed the cooked meals..

Here is one site..

http://prettysmartrawfoodideas.wordpress.com/2007/10/09/thanksgivingchristmas-recipes/
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 17th November 2010, 11:54 am

Lynnieluve wrote:

I wouldn't cook "tofurkey" I know that much! lol! I still eat fish, so I'd make some Escovitch Red Snapper, Salmon or bake some Telapia. Lots of rice, vegetables, mac n cheese, greens, bean salad. Or if I was really up for it, I'd make a meatloaf with "Smart Ground"--soy bean crumbled and burned to "look" like ground beef.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 17th November 2010, 11:56 am

I will b with my family so I wont b doing any cooking but I dont do any anyway so its always the usual
turkey
ham
collards
rolls
sweet tea
different cakes pies cheesecake
candied yams
cabbage & etc
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th November 2010, 12:07 pm

letha wrote:Lynnieluve I been looking at what a Raw Food Thanksgiving looks like I was thinking about going raw completely I would b4 ok until this time of year rolls aroung.. I've seen some sites that provide a thanksgiving meals without cooking one thing. Some people act as though they never missed the cooked meals..

Here is one site..

http://prettysmartrawfoodideas.wordpress.com/2007/10/09/thanksgivingchristmas-recipes/

I couldnt do raw No but I have thought about becoming a vegetarian but my Hubby LOVES meat!!! I dont know if I am up to preparing two meals.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 12:10 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
letha wrote:Lynnieluve I been looking at what a Raw Food Thanksgiving looks like I was thinking about going raw completely I would b4 ok until this time of year rolls aroung.. I've seen some sites that provide a thanksgiving meals without cooking one thing. Some people act as though they never missed the cooked meals..

Here is one site..

I couldnt do raw No but I have thought about becoming a vegetarian but my Hubby LOVES meat!!! I dont know if I am up to preparing two meals.

Believe me it will wear you out
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 12:11 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:I will b with my family so I wont b doing any cooking but I dont do any anyway so its always the usual
turkey
ham
collards
rolls
sweet tea
different cakes pies cheesecake
candied yams
cabbage & etc

Sebastain will you be in Greensboro or are you going out of town to be with your family?
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 17th November 2010, 12:16 pm

We are driving from Hartford to Cleveland on Thanksgiving. We need to figure out what are going to eat when we get there, we have a few invitations but we aren't sure what time we will actually arrive.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 12:22 pm

courtrhapsody wrote:We are driving from Hartford to Cleveland on Thanksgiving. We need to figure out what are going to eat when we get there, we have a few invitations but we aren't sure what time we will actually arrive.

Have a safe trip...
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 17th November 2010, 12:26 pm

Thank you! It's a long haul but we like road tripping.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 17th November 2010, 12:37 pm

thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! it sucks because I am working late 12hr shifts the da before and after. We are suppossed to have dinner at my house. ( my mom will help cook) menu
turkey
ham
mac n cheese
sweet potatoes
collard greens
stuffing
desert is usually sweet potatoe or apple pie
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 17th November 2010, 12:39 pm

LadyMika wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:

I wouldn't cook "tofurkey" I know that much! lol! I still eat fish, so I'd make some Escovitch Red Snapper, Salmon or bake some Telapia. Lots of rice, vegetables, mac n cheese, greens, bean salad. Or if I was really up for it, I'd make a meatloaf with "Smart Ground"--soy bean crumbled and burned to "look" like ground beef.
People always ask me if I'm going to make a tofurkey! lol. Like you, I eat fish but my husband eats meat. I always cook vegetarian or fish dishes for me and meat for him. We eat the same sides though, thank God...no bacon in our greens!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 17th November 2010, 12:39 pm

I always cook at home..but we will hit my mom's and then maybe honey's sisters house.

I usually do the Turkey breast and I soak it in a citrus brine...yum. I do the standard sides, but my cranberry sauce is homemade.

I am the only one that figured out my grannies sweet potato pie, so I will be on pie duty. The season starts now and after the new year it's OVER! One year I made over 40 pies and didn't have one slice..I was hot mad! My family puts pies in the cars, be hiding them under coats..mess! It's always fun though!

Whatever you do enjoy your family, everyday is not promised!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 12:51 pm

thetiffany wrote:thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! it sucks because I am working late 12hr shifts the da before and after. We are suppossed to have dinner at my house. ( my mom will help cook) menu
turkey
ham
mac n cheese
sweet potatoes
collard greens
stuffing
desert is usually sweet potatoe or apple pie

Dang its a good think you have help I know you will be tired but its worth being with the family
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 12:53 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:I always cook at home..but we will hit my mom's and then maybe honey's sisters house.

I usually do the Turkey breast and I soak it in a citrus brine...yum. I do the standard sides, but my cranberry sauce is homemade.

I am the only one that figured out my grannies sweet potato pie, so I will be on pie duty. The season starts now and after the new year it's OVER! One year I made over 40 pies and didn't have one slice..I was hot mad! My family puts pies in the cars, be hiding them under coats..mess! It's always fun though!

This year make sure you get a slice.. Laughing

Do you mind sharing your citrus brine recipe.. I thought about doing an apple juice brine for my smoke turkey..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 17th November 2010, 12:55 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:I always cook at home..but we will hit my mom's and then maybe honey's sisters house.

For us it was my aunt that had the bangin sweet potato pies. She passed away a few years ago, but my mom figured out her recipe and shared it with me! I love sweet potato pie and its a shame how fast they go when you make them!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 17th November 2010, 1:09 pm

I'm a holiday scrooge but I do plan on cooking a meal, having my sister over and my bf's family over. It'll be my first time cooking a turkey so I'm a little nervous.

Off topic, but LadyMika are you in Woodside as in Queens? If so, we're neighbors!!
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 17th November 2010, 1:33 pm

Don't worry Curly Film Chick you can handle it and if you still nervous get online and research different Turkey recipes.. That is what I did when I usually smoke my turkey I watched you tube vidoes because I wanted to make sure I was doing it right..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next