CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

homemade hair food

2 posters

Go down

homemade hair food Empty homemade hair food

Post by blkbeauty2010 16th November 2010, 12:08 pm

posted this last week in the general section and was so sad i didnt get any responses and now i am so happy there will be an entire section dedicated to this

by blkbeauty2010 on 14th November 2010, 5:38 pm
So I just got in from back to back visits to various bss's and was not impressed with the product ingredients in many of the items I was about to purchase. Either there was mineral oil, glycerin (trying to avoid this winter), cones (don't want sticky hair during my hair challenge as i will be maintaining twists in two week intervals), sulfates, and many words that I wont even attempt to sound out and pronounce. I decided since my PJ ism has cluttered my kitchen and bathroom (and is the reason I was in all those stores in the first place) I figured why don't i go home and whip up a lil sometin that will add moisture, sheen/shine, seal, and is not too greasy. After a brief scavenger hunt through my apartment I have a counter full of oils, butters, produce, spices, herbs and condiments... yes condiments and of course some store bought Holy Grail items but the problem is I have no clue where to start confused So my question to you ladies is

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE HOME MADE CONCOCTIONS? (if possible list the amount of the ingredients used)
WHAT DO YOU USE IT FOR? (edges, moisture, sealing, dc, leave in, shampoo, styling agent, spritz)
HOW DO YOU USE IT? (wet/dry hair, clean or "dirty" hair, day 1, 2, 4, 7, twist/braid outs?)

Hopefully this can be a list of recipe's for people who are not satisfied with the concoctions in the stores, would like to save money, use the products they have and abundance of, or would like to try something different to change the condition of their hair. Last week I tried Kimmytube conditioner for the first time and my hair is soft, shiny and moisturized 4 days later! (I tweaked it a bit)
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

homemade hair food Empty Re: homemade hair food

Post by FalconTress 16th November 2010, 11:27 pm

Last week I tried Kimmytube conditioner for the first time and my hair is soft, shiny and moisturized 4 days later! (I tweaked it a bit)

What did you change in your kt conditioner? I'm always interested in what else works. I added some hemp seed oil and some wheat germ oil to mine to get the benefit of ceramides. I will probably not do this again because the texture was not as creamy and my hair did not feel as moist the next day as it usually does. I will continue using Wheat Germ Oil & Hemp Seed OIl, just independent of my kt mix.

The only thing else I have done at home is to open a can of coconut milk, place it in the fridge and let the water evaporate. I used it to prepoo. It softened my hair, but not as much as I expected.

I have a jar of banana baby food, a jar of organic honey and a bottle of blackstrap molasses. I have not tried any of them yet.

I like to put MacNut brand Macadamia Nut Oil on my hair. It makes it very soft. I also get good results with Terra Medi Sesame Oil.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 17th November 2010, 1:04 am

since i have an abundance of oils i just used what i had (Curls Blissful Lengths Oil) which has a combo of soybean, coconut, kukinut, mango, shea, sweet almond, evening primrose, vitamin E oils and some protein(s). I used Mane and Tail conditioner (I know its old school but i like the feel and consistency... and its cheap and doesnt dry). I dont have KKNT but I plan to try it at some point but I like conditioners that are thicker (they help define my curls). the consistency of the final mixture was nice and smooth enough for me to put it in a spray bottle (in the fridge to prevent molding) for easy access
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down