CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural/Homemade hair care recipes

+8
Emartini04
fanmnatirel
krissyc39
BrownSkinDiva
curlya
laleepop14
Treece
CurlsofGlory
12 posters

Go down

Natural/Homemade hair care recipes Empty Natural/Homemade hair care recipes

Post by CurlsofGlory 15th October 2010, 5:24 am

Has anyone tried the natural/homemade hair care recipes. I want to try the egg/oil/honey recipe, but I wanted to see what results people got from using it or any other ones. So if you have used any of the homemade recipes let me know your results from using them. Thanks so much Very Happy
CurlsofGlory
CurlsofGlory

Back to top Go down

Natural/Homemade hair care recipes Empty Re: Natural/Homemade hair care recipes

Post by Treece 15th October 2010, 10:11 am

A lot of the women on youtube who have a shea butter mix love it, and say it's very moisturizing, I would like to make one of my own very soon. I'm sure you can find someone on youtube as well as here who has done it and can let you know how it's worked for them.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 15th October 2010, 10:15 am

I think homeade products can be great. Most of these natural lines out here started in someone's kitchen for stuff they used for their hair. So I have only experimented with adding hondey to my conditioner and also a mayo deep treatment....They worked great for me.

@Treece, Yes I have also made a shea butter, a dab of coconut oil, a little bit of veggie glycerin and also some peppermint oil to get rid of that shea smell. I love it!!!! This is my second batch of a shea butter mix and I have loved them both. I cant really remember exactly what was in the first one, but they were both whipped by a hand mixer and it looks like a store bought product and works great too!!!

HTH
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 15th October 2010, 11:04 am

I just tried a homemade deep conditiioner last night. I believe my hair is suffering from protein damage. So I started researching online yesterday for protein free condintioners and decided to go with a homeade one.
Last night I mixed honey; smooth as silk deep cond; evoo and a little aussie moist. I clarified with ACV and then put the homemade deep conditioner on my hair. I left it on with a plastic cap and two scarves.
This morning my hair feels good. There is a notcable difference. However it is still not right. I did read that it will take 2 weeks of continued moisture to correct the issue. So, I'll keep at it.
I plain to get some jojoba oil and alma oil and add them to the mix next time. HTH
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 15th October 2010, 11:18 am

I love my homemade products, I have my own shea butter mix and I use the kimmaytube leave in recipe. Its great because I save SOOO much money and these products work so well for my hair. I tailor my products to use ingredients that I know my hair responds well too.
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 15th October 2010, 11:48 am

I pretty much only use homemade/natural products. I love how they work and the cost isn't bad either.

I did a deep conditioning treatment 2 days ago and my hair feels like silk. Seriously, I think my hair is making weaves everywhere jealous lol.

I did a 3 part process
- cleanse with Apple cider vinegar (1-2 tsp)
- protein treatment with egg (1 egg, 5 mins)
- deep conditioned with heat (olive, coconut, castor oil, shea butter and honey)

ACV and the egg smell but it goes away after a while. Don't keep the egg in for too long cause then you'll be smelling like breakfast gone wrong all day. By the time you get your deep conditioner mix in though your hair should look (and smell and feel) amazing!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 15th October 2010, 12:10 pm

When i first went natural a year ago, i used to mix
1 avocado with The cream part of an organic coconut milk can and EVOO
and my hair would feel awesome....

I just don't have the time anymore to do that so i use the commercial conditionner and add castor oil to whichever one i am using...
either way, my 4c hair feels moisturized...
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsofGlory 15th October 2010, 4:18 pm

Well....I guess it's trial and error and I will mark this homemade conditioner recipe (olive oil, egg yoke, and honey) as an error Neutral . My hair not only felt hard after rinsing it out, but when I tried to do a co-wash my hair was soaking it up like it was starving and it still feels rough and I lost hair as well. Definetly marking this recipe as "stay away". I think my hair doesn't like protein. At least I learned something
CurlsofGlory
CurlsofGlory

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 15th October 2010, 4:54 pm

My hair dislikes the protein too. Maybe next time skip the egg and use the EVOO and honey only or add your fav. conditioner (if it is protein free).

I read online (somewhere) that you can actually use EVOO and cover with a plastic cap and tie it up over night and that will give you a deep condition also!
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 15th October 2010, 5:18 pm

You can also use organic virgin coconut oil leave it in for an hour or overnight then co wash it out. That is very moisturizing as well.

A friend of mine did the egg treatment and has the same problem as you. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. Don't worry it will grow back! Just take it as a lesson learned. We all go through different episodes with our hair.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 15th October 2010, 5:29 pm

Shauntai wrote:Well....I guess it's trial and error and I will mark this homemade conditioner recipe (olive oil, egg yoke, and honey) as an error Neutral . My hair not only felt hard after rinsing it out, but when I tried to do a co-wash my hair was soaking it up like it was starving and it still feels rough and I lost hair as well. Definetly marking this recipe as "stay away". I think my hair doesn't like protein. At least I learned something

Yeah the egg might be too much protein for you. I have used honey and olive oil though and that worked nice...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 15th October 2010, 5:43 pm

Well I usually mix these ingredients into wash out conditioner to make a DC and it always makes my curls pop and shine.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 15th October 2010, 6:19 pm

curlya wrote:I just tried a homemade deep conditiioner last night. I believe my hair is suffering from protein damage. So I started researching online yesterday for protein free condintioners and decided to go with a homeade one.
Last night I mixed honey; smooth as silk deep cond; evoo and a little aussie moist. I clarified with ACV and then put the homemade deep conditioner on my hair. I left it on with a plastic cap and two scarves.
This morning my hair feels good. There is a notcable difference. However it is still not right. I did read that it will take 2 weeks of continued moisture to correct the issue. So, I'll keep at it.
I plain to get some jojoba oil and alma oil and add them to the mix next time. HTH

The Smooth as Silk contains protein too. I love it, but try not to use it as often to avoid protein overload.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 15th October 2010, 11:00 pm

I definitely recommend making your own shea butter mix. Its the best moisturizer I've used yet! My hair takes a while to absorb shea butter on its own so when I'm using it on my fro, I usually lightly spray it with water first and then apply the shea butter mix and it dries so soft and moisturized.

I use whipped shea butter, conditioner and oil in my mixture
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by akatude1908 15th October 2010, 11:46 pm

95% of the products that I use are homemade by me (shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, oil, moisturizer spray), and I love it!!! My hair stays moisturized and is very healthy.
akatude1908
akatude1908

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 16th October 2010, 11:20 am

@ akatude1908 - your hair looks great. full and curly. I love it!
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 16th October 2010, 12:04 pm

@akatude1908- how do you make shampoo?
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content