CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New transitioner; Very dry relaxed ends.

5 posters

Go down

New transitioner; Very dry relaxed ends. Empty New transitioner; Very dry relaxed ends.

Post by ray2424 15th November 2010, 8:23 pm

So I'm about 10 weeks post relaxer, so I'm still a newbie.
The plan as of now is to let my hair grow out, and chop off the permed ends in April.
However, I'd like to make it to April looking somewhat decent, and the ends of my hair already look dry and weird.

Do you know of any products that will help my relaxed ends retain moisture? especially since I'll be washing/ co-washing my hair a lot more. What do you use?

I've been using the Shea moisture shampoo, masque treatment, and the smoothie curl definer.
But two days later I don't know what to use to refresh my style, because I feel like a lot of products either don't moisturize the relaxed hair, or weighs it down which isn't a good look when the hair closer to my roots is curly and cute.

Any advice?

P.S. I ordered the darcy's botanicals transitioning creme, which should arrive within the week. Anyone had any success with that?
ray2424
ray2424

Back to top Go down

New transitioner; Very dry relaxed ends. Empty Re: New transitioner; Very dry relaxed ends.

Post by Naturally Esq 15th November 2010, 11:56 pm

1. When I was transitioning and now that I have BC'd, I use castor oil or EVCO on my ends to keep them moist. Some use shea butter on their ends but castor oil or EVCO works for me.
2. When was the last time you trimmed your ends?
3. Have you clarified your hair?
4. I have not tried any of the Darcy products. I use Giovannin products.
5. Be sure to balance moisture and protein. This is the link to a great article that has a hair test at the end: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

New transitioner; Very dry relaxed ends. Empty Re: New transitioner; Very dry relaxed ends.

Post by ray2424 16th November 2010, 1:15 pm

Hi!
thanks for your response.
Since I can't remember the last time I got a trim, that could definitely be a part of the problem here.

I did a braid out lat night and moisturized the ends much more thoroughly and things look significantly better this morning.

Thanks for the article link, because I kept hearing 'stay away from protein" or "you need protein!". Good to know it's more about balance.

ray2424
ray2424

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 25th November 2010, 1:55 am

Hi, Ray. I rod set my hair on wash days, and for the next several days before I wash again, I use Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey (a little on my fingers) to finger coil my curls to refresh them, and my ends are very moisturized. I hope this helps. Smile
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by tpayne22 26th November 2010, 2:22 am

We are product twins lol. I just got Darcy Botanicals and it smells delicious might I add. I wanted to eat my hands and the smells apparently lingers. I had two guys in the same say stop me and say something smells like vanilla lol. I had the same issue as you so I took a look at the products I was using and found some culprits. I know some people's hair react fine to it but once I got rid of them I saw a difference. I was using serums to polish my hair and it had 4 different silicones in it. Plus I was using doo growth oil to seal and that had mineral oil and petroleum in it. So I read that these products can actually seal out moisture and the hair rots from the inside out! So what I did was clarify my hair with suave clarifying shampoo for like a buck 87 at target. I guess I had to get that gunk out of my hair and start with clean surface. I know use no sulfates shampoo but I will continue to clarify once a month because co washing can also cause build up from the shampoo. I obviously conditioned my hair and then I did a protein treatment under the dryer for 20 mins Yes make sure you balance out your protein treatments. I used my leave in then a styler and now use coconut oil as a sealant. That did the trick for me. I moisture my new growth daily and my relaxed ends every other day.
I haven't had a issue since. I hope that helps you out. Good luck
tpayne22
tpayne22

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 26th November 2010, 11:42 pm

Hi ray2424,

Congrats on your transition!

especially since I'll be washing/ co-washing my hair a lot more.

Is there a particular reason you will be doing this? I suggest that you manipulate your hair less to help alleviate dryness.

Also, I would suggest that you find a protective style to minimize the exposure of your ends to the elements (wind, sun etc.)

HTH

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down