CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Before and After Part V

5 posters

Go down

Before and After Part V Empty Before and After Part V

Post by curlytrainer 27th November 2009, 5:52 pm

Before and After Part V Dc_clu10

This picture was taken last weekend. It's a wash-and-go. Previously I didn't ever do wash-and-go's because I didn't like the look as much as the two-strand twist. But since reading the CG book and Curly Nikki's blogs, I'm doing wash-and-go's and I actually like how my hair looks. This is my wash-and-go routine: I no longer wash my hair with shampoo. I co-wash with Garnier Triple Nutrition, then apply Kinky Curly Curling Custard when my hair is soaking wet. Usually I'll do some kind of deep treatment once every 10 days like olive oil or avocado wrap. I think that's going to be the norm during the winter because otherwise my hair gets so dry.

You might notice that my hair is darker than it was in my avatar. In the avatar I had highlights. But as the highlights started to grow out, it looked brassy, so I decided to get a color rinse a couple of months ago to cover up the highlights. It's supposed to fade out after several washes. At first it was too dark, but now that it's fading I like the color more. It looks a lot richer and shinier than those faded highlights. I might try henna after the rinse fades out.

The best natural hair experience I had in a salon was two months ago when I was living in San Francisco. I went to Madu, which specializes in curly hair. I was skeptical letting a non-African American do my hair (she was Latina), but since she had come highly recommended from my friend, I gave it a try. She taught me a lot about how to handle my hair - like how to apply conditioner and/or gel to soaking wet hair, how to use a t-shirt instead of a towel to scrunch it dry, etc. She also used the Devacut method of cutting curly hair, which means she cut my hair completely dry, one curl at a time. It made so much more sense than what the other stylists used to do, which was to cut my hair after it had been straightened with a blow dryer. Of course, since I don't wear my hair straight, the shape would look totally different once it was curly.

My hair has grown a lot since my last BC. I finally can say that I love my hair. It's the perfect length for me and it's in great condition because I know how to treat it right. I'm going to keep growing it to see just how long it gets before I decide it's too long. Knowing me, I'll get bored before long and decide to cut it. Who knows, I might even rock a TWA sometime in the future.

Reading all you ladies' stories and seeing your beautiful hair in all of its glorious stages has really made me appreciate not only my own hair more, but curly hair in general. Now I can look back at all my before pictures and really see the beauty in them, even when I couldn't see it back then. Thanks to everyone's postings and ideas, I know that no matter what style or length, I have tons of options.

Thank you to all who've commented on my story over the past few days. I really appreciate your support and kind words!
curlytrainer
curlytrainer

http://www.jackieswellness.com

Back to top Go down

Before and After Part V Empty Re: Before and After Part V

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th November 2009, 6:22 pm

I know there are a few Devacut stylists in the area. I may check a couple of them out and watch them cut. I want to have a stylist cut my hair when dry since I wear it curly most of the time.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beautifuleyez 27th November 2009, 8:05 pm

Wow, that's very interesting! I am originally from the Bay Area and the next time I go home, I might have to get the stylist's name and check her out. Getting my hair trimmed is one of my greatest challenges. Houston is the 5th largest city and I am still searching for someone who understands my hair type who can give me a decent trim. My current stylist is great and I love the way she styles my hair when I go, but I don't like getting my hair blown out to get a trim either. I am becoming so paranoid about my hair that I feel like even blowing it out once is damagaing it in some way! Thanks for sharing! Before and After Part V Icon_rr
Blessings
beautifuleyez
beautifuleyez

Back to top Go down

Post by BindyMac08 27th November 2009, 8:38 pm

That's so cool about the salon! I wish I knew of one that good where I live.

And your hair looks so good! Can't wait for your future posts!
BindyMac08
BindyMac08

Back to top Go down

Post by Serenity23 27th November 2009, 10:30 pm

Your wash n go looks great! I've tried wash n gos and shingling with no success. I may have to read that book. I've enjoyed reading the "series." Great hair!
Serenity23
Serenity23

http://public.fotki.com/Serenity23/  http://www.curlynikki.forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down