CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Before and After Part II

3 posters

Go down

Before and After Part II Empty Before and After Part II

Post by curlytrainer 25th November 2009, 12:16 am

I didn't so much decide to go natural as I did just stop relaxing my hair. I was working for an international company that sent me to Panama for a 6 month project. Although there are a lot of black Panamanians with relaxers, I was very nervous about having chemicals put on my hair in an unfamiliar country. So since I didn't trust myself not to burn my scalp off either, I just stopped relaxing my hair. As the roots began to grow longer, I did wash-and-go a lot so there wasn't such an obvious difference between the texture of my ends and the texture of my roots. This is what it looked like.

Before and After Part II Panama11

While living in Panama I went to Carnaval in Brazil with a friend of mine. There are a LOT of black people in Brazil, and I noticed that many of them wore their hair in their natural curly texture. I thought, "Maybe there's something to this. If they can wear their hair the way it comes out of their head - on purpose and not just accidentally like I was doing - maybe I should keep doing this no-perm thing and see what happens." I had no idea what my natural hair really looked or felt like except for childhood pictures I'd seen of myself.

Before and After Part II Kid210

I met my husband when my hair was like the first pic. He's half Caucasian and half Mexican. After we had been dating a few weeks he told his black friend that when he put his hands through my hair, it was "deep and curly inside". I laughed at what his friend must have been saying to himself: "Man, that's just some nappy roots." Finally I got sick of those two textures sitting on my head, and I did the BC. This is my TWA a couple months after that.

Before and After Part II 1st_bc10

Initially I loved it! I lived in Miami then, and it felt like I had an air conditioner on my head - which was much welcomed. It was totally freeing to have short natural hair. I really had no idea what to do with it though. I was just winging it. I was basically using the same products I used when my hair was straight. My hair just kept soaking up every bit of moisture I put in it, so eventually I figured the effort of moisturizing was useless and I just quit. My hair kept growing higher and higher, and it refused to fall like I wanted it to. This is it at its driest and biggest pinnacle. I call it the "BAA", or Big Ass Afro.

Before and After Part II Big_a_10

I look mad, huh? Yeah I was mad at that Big Ass Afro for being so damn big! Stay tuned tomorrow for Part III, or Forays in Trading the BAA for the lopsided Salt-n-Pepa look.
curlytrainer
curlytrainer

http://www.jackieswellness.com

Back to top Go down

Before and After Part II Empty Re: Before and After Part II

Post by NylaCoils 25th November 2009, 1:20 am

Wow! I'm still laughing at the statement... I laughed at what his friend must have been saying to himself: "Man, that's just some nappy roots.
I cant wait to see what happens next.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Serenity23 27th November 2009, 11:21 am

This made me laugh so hard. That part about your hair being deep and curly inside. I think I've read them out of order, but I love these stories.
Serenity23
Serenity23

http://public.fotki.com/Serenity23/  http://www.curlynikki.forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down