CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just my luck?

+3
FalconTress
Curlock Holmes
Karyn
7 posters

Go down

Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just my luck? Empty Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just my luck?

Post by Karyn 14th November 2010, 8:47 pm

I'm growing increasingly frustrated because I'll use a product for a few weeks and then all of a sudden, the same product that left my hair feeling soft and moisturized and amazing, will leave my hair feeling like a dry HAM Mad I can't keep wasting my mom's money! lol. So now, on top of my hair not growing due to constant breakage, my products and/or hair are bipolar! FML. Please tell me I'm not alone.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just my luck? Empty Re: Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just my luck?

Post by Curlock Holmes 14th November 2010, 8:56 pm

This has happened with a few products for me, but not most. I wonder, have you tried clarifying your hair and then trying the product again? If it has cones or mineral oil in it maybe it's not penetrating into your hair like it used to.

Also, are these products heavy in protein? Too much protein can make your hair hard and dry feeling.

I thought my hair liked shea moisture DT, but while I was using the 2nd jar things turned for the worst, haha. Aussie Moist stopped being amazing for me (but could have been cone buildup), and the saddest of all the ones that quit working as well as it used to was Aubrey Organics HSR... now I have to find a new DC! Sad
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just my luck? Empty Re: Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just my luck?

Post by FalconTress 14th November 2010, 9:08 pm

I'm growing increasingly frustrated because I'll use a product for a few weeks and then all of a sudden, the same product that left my hair feeling soft and moisturized and amazing, will leave my hair feeling like a dry HAM

Karyn,
Can you tell us what products you used? Also do you use shampoo at all or just co-wash? Also, how are you stlying your hair?

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 14th November 2010, 9:54 pm

Curlock Holmes wrote:This has happened with a few products for me, but not most. I wonder, have you tried clarifying your hair and then trying the product again? If it has cones or mineral oil in it maybe it's not penetrating into your hair like it used to.

Also, are these products heavy in protein? Too much protein can make your hair hard and dry feeling.

I thought my hair liked shea moisture DT, but while I was using the 2nd jar things turned for the worst, haha. Aussie Moist stopped being amazing for me (but could have been cone buildup), and the saddest of all the ones that quit working as well as it used to was Aubrey Organics HSR... now I have to find a new DC! Sad

i haven't tried clarifying yet cause i'm scared that it'll just make my dry hair worse. the product i'm talking about now is cone free (tresseme naturals nourishing moisture conditioner) and i don't think it has any protein in it.

good luck with finding a new dc!

FalconTress wrote:I'm growing increasingly frustrated because I'll use a product for a few weeks and then all of a sudden, the same product that left my hair feeling soft and moisturized and amazing, will leave my hair feeling like a dry HAM

Karyn,
Can you tell us what products you used? Also do you use shampoo at all or just co-wash? Also, how are you stlying your hair?

the products that worked well in the past, but stopped working for me are:
carols daughter tui herbal shampoo - used to leave my hair feeling moisturized (so moisturized it had slip and i could detangle with it), but now it's squeaky clean
carols daughter tui smoothie - used to leave my hair feeling amazingly soft, but not so much anymore
tresseme naturals nourishing moisture conditioner - used to make my hair soft, but not anymore
herbal essences hello hydration- again, used to make my hair soft, but not anymore (i think that's cause of the cones, which is why i tried the tresseme naturals in the first place)

i do shampoo and i usually wear an out style (twist/braid out)
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 14th November 2010, 10:18 pm

I understand being afraid, but I think you'd be in better shape clarifying and then doing a really good DC afterwards. If you're worried about dryness do a pre-poo/hot oil treatment beforehand.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 15th November 2010, 12:45 pm

Factor in the weather too. I find as the weather changes my hair reacts different to some staples. So I have to "beef" up my regimen so to speak by either being a little more generous or I'll even baggy my hair at night.
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 15th November 2010, 2:49 pm

This has happened to me and I had to clarify my hair even though I don't use products with cones either. I did an acv rinse and I made sure to dc afterwards and do an oil rinse to seal in the moisture from the dc. I also have atleast 2 products in each category and rotate to keep my hair from getting used to 1 product. You don't have to spend a lot of money. I get many of my products from TJ Maxx and Ross @ a fraction of the cost of retail prices.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th November 2010, 3:53 pm

Hey Karyn!!!! Very Happy

Recently Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque stop working as a deep conditioner for me but I think it's because the first jar I purchased and the second jar are two different consistencies.

The first jar was a light creamy (almost like lotion) consistency. The second jar has a thick spreadable butter like consistency.

I dont know what that is about but I DONT LIKE IT!!! Laughing
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 16th November 2010, 1:57 am

Curlock Holmes wrote:I understand being afraid, but I think you'd be in better shape clarifying and then doing a really good DC afterwards. If you're worried about dryness do a pre-poo/hot oil treatment beforehand.

i think i'm gonna try it. do you think regular V05 clarifying shampoo/conditioner is okay?

CurlieCutes1121 wrote:Factor in the weather too. I find as the weather changes my hair reacts different to some staples. So I have to "beef" up my regimen so to speak by either being a little more generous or I'll even baggy my hair at night.

i think i'll try baggying! i'm such a wild sleeper though :/ this might turn into a disaster hahaha. thanks for the suggestion!

freckledmom4 wrote:This has happened to me and I had to clarify my hair even though I don't use products with cones either. I did an acv rinse and I made sure to dc afterwards and do an oil rinse to seal in the moisture from the dc. I also have atleast 2 products in each category and rotate to keep my hair from getting used to 1 product. You don't have to spend a lot of money. I get many of my products from TJ Maxx and Ross @ a fraction of the cost of retail prices.

i'm definitely going to try clarifying! but sadly, we don't have ross and tj maxx stores in nyc are very far and few between Sad

Lynnieluve wrote:Hey Karyn!!!! Very Happy

Recently Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque stop working as a deep conditioner for me but I think it's because the first jar I purchased and the second jar are two different consistencies.

The first jar was a light creamy (almost like lotion) consistency. The second jar has a thick spreadable butter like consistency.

I dont know what that is about but I DONT LIKE IT!!! Laughing

hey lynnie! love your new avatar Smile

aww man! i was gonna try that product, but if it's not made consistently i'm just gonna end up more frustrated Crying or Very sad hopefully you find a new dc!
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th November 2010, 2:15 am

Thanks!! I'm still trying to get my hair like your braid out from the summer! Wink
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by PrincessRN 16th November 2010, 10:26 am

Hi Karen, I just wanted to offer another thing to consider. I believe most if not all of the products you listed have alcohols in them. I know that they are the so-called "moisturizing alcohols" and lots of people use them without any problems, but some people (like myself) are extremely sensitive to alcohols and they dry my hair out horribly so I have to avoid products that are alcohol laden. If not, my hair will be a dry mess with breakage regardless of how much I moisturize.

I find I can tolerate an occasional co-wash now that I am natural, but deep conditioners and leave-ins that contain alcohol are a big no-no for me. Also I find that the first time I use a product with
alcohol, it may seem ok and not too drying, but by the second use, that is when my hair stands up and rebels big time!!!
This may or may not be causing your problem but just something to think about Smile
PrincessRN
PrincessRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 16th November 2010, 9:53 pm

PrincessRN wrote:Hi Karen, I just wanted to offer another thing to consider. I believe most if not all of the products you listed have alcohols in them. I know that they are the so-called "moisturizing alcohols" and lots of people use them without any problems, but some people (like myself) are extremely sensitive to alcohols and they dry my hair out horribly so I have to avoid products that are alcohol laden. If not, my hair will be a dry mess with breakage regardless of how much I moisturize.

I find I can tolerate an occasional co-wash now that I am natural, but deep conditioners and leave-ins that contain alcohol are a big no-no for me. Also I find that the first time I use a product with
alcohol, it may seem ok and not too drying, but by the second use, that is when my hair stands up and rebels big time!!!
This may or may not be causing your problem but just something to think about Smile

Shocked that's an interesting point. maybe you're onto something lol. i never even considered that. thanks for your help Smile

btw you guys, today was all dreary and gloomy in nyc and i'm such an opportunist! i dampened my hair this morning and drenched my hair in s-curl (LOL), put my hair in a cute puff style, and now my hair is soft Very Happy
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by PrincessRN 17th November 2010, 9:33 am

Karyn wrote:

Shocked that's an interesting point. maybe you're onto something lol. i never even considered that. thanks for your help Smile

btw you guys, today was all dreary and gloomy in nyc and i'm such an opportunist! i dampened my hair this morning and drenched my hair in s-curl (LOL), put my hair in a cute puff style, and now my hair is soft Very Happy

No problem! I just hope you can find pproducts that really work for you because I KNOW how frustrating that can be. Glad you found something positive about the rain yesterday, because it had me feeling moody all day and made my hair puffy, lol.
PrincessRN
PrincessRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 18th November 2010, 12:31 am

PrincessRN wrote:
Karyn wrote:

No problem! I just hope you can find pproducts that really work for you because I KNOW how frustrating that can be. Glad you found something positive about the rain yesterday, because it had me feeling moody all day and made my hair puffy, lol.

it is very frustrating, especially when you are impatient like me lol. today i tried using my dc (jessies weekly deep conditioning treatment) as a leave-in instead, sealed with oil and now my hair is soft again. i'm still gonna clarify though. i'm glad that this jessies wdct worked for something cause it was a mediocre dc
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down