CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big chopped 1 month ago, HELP ME, please! (I posted this eariler in another part of the forum but it wasn't getting any replys so I posted here also)

+11
creolebeauty1
curlytee
sweetdrk1
Remillard
Naturally Esq
naturallynola
queenshakirah
Fleur
Lynnieluve
CrissyQ
QueenCrystal
15 posters

Go down

Big chopped 1 month ago, HELP ME, please! (I posted this eariler in another part of the forum but it wasn't getting any replys so I posted here also) Empty Big chopped 1 month ago, HELP ME, please! (I posted this eariler in another part of the forum but it wasn't getting any replys so I posted here also)

Post by QueenCrystal 13th November 2010, 10:52 am

Very Happy Hi fellow naturals, first off I would like to say thanks for reading this, and helping me in my natural hair journey.

WELP! I 'accidentally' went natural, Smile I was perming my hair once a month, and when it came time for another perm, I noticed that my hair was so thin and brittle, like dead grass, I was stressed out at work, things were not looking good in alot of matters, so that being said, I felt like doing my hair and working with my hair was a big pain, I felt like it was getting in the way of life, so I decided to chop it off. However, I had a coworker at work who'd done the same thing, I asked her why, what were the reasons and how was it going for her. She explained to me that she had went 'natural' I was like... natural... WHATS THAT, and tell me more. So after talking to alot I was like wow, and I hadn't had a perm in about a month, so I was like you know what it all makes sense, and it felt right. Without any hesitation I started searching and looking at countless youtube videos, blogs, websites, and magazines about natural hair. When I seen a woman who had a head full of hair after only being natural for a year I was astounded. I never had long hair before but to the length of my neck and thats as long as it has been my entire life. pale

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is my big chop. dance

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is me@ a month growth.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't know what texture I am, and I have been using the Organic Root Stimulator: Moisturizer, and Herbal Essence: Totally twisted. I JUST learned like an hour ago, that you have to Deep condition your hair and keep it moisturized ALL the time. Previously, I had been washing my hair once a week, after I wash I would moisturize and thats it. I've never deep conditioned my hair, I also had thought that deep conditioning was just leaving the condition you use in your hair for 10 or 15 min in the shower. I also haven't been using any oils at all. I was wondering why my hair wasn't feeling so soft, or wasn't dry all the time like I had seen other peoples hair. confused

confused I'm confused on many things, and I have alot of questions as to what did YOU do with your hair when you big chopped. Should I start deep conditioning and how does it work exactly? Do you wash your hair, moisturize, deep condition, then add oil or re-moisturize? Or do you just jump into the deep condition, and moisturize after? Can you co-wash and then deep condition afterwards? If you wash your hair once a week like me, can you deep condition that way day or should it be 3 or 4 days later that same week? When do you add in oil? How does that work? Do you oil your hair and then moisturize afterwards or vice versa? I am very lost in this right now; (as you can tell). I want to go ahead and thank everyone for reading this and replying. I love you
QueenCrystal
QueenCrystal

Back to top Go down

Big chopped 1 month ago, HELP ME, please! (I posted this eariler in another part of the forum but it wasn't getting any replys so I posted here also) Empty Re: Big chopped 1 month ago, HELP ME, please! (I posted this eariler in another part of the forum but it wasn't getting any replys so I posted here also)

Post by CrissyQ 13th November 2010, 11:34 am

Hi, and welcome. You have had some good growth in a months time. When I first BC, my hair was about your length at your one month state. I co-washed everyday because the weather permitted. I used Herbal essance hello hydration as a co-wash and a leave in. I then sealed with an oil (olive oil). I kept a bottle of spritz with water conditioner and oil in it to use thru out the day. Ummm lets see, I never deep conditioned because I did not know the benefits of it, so I recommend you DO IT. It was a trial an error for me to see what my hair responded to and what it did not. Even 7 months later I am still learning. I am by far no expert, I am sure others will chime in.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Big chopped 1 month ago, HELP ME, please! (I posted this eariler in another part of the forum but it wasn't getting any replys so I posted here also) Empty Re: Big chopped 1 month ago, HELP ME, please! (I posted this eariler in another part of the forum but it wasn't getting any replys so I posted here also)

Post by Lynnieluve 13th November 2010, 12:12 pm

Welcome to CN!!! Congratulations on your decision to start your healthy hair journey!!! You have great growth for one month!! It's super cute!!

Here's my two cents monkey monkey

Should I start deep conditioning and how does it work exactly?

Yes, you should deep condition. I would suggest you do it when you do your weekly wash. You can purchase deep conditioner or you can add oils to one of your conditioners and get good results. I only deep condition 15-30 minutes under the dryer with a shower/plastic cap. Some people do it overnight. It's what works best for you.

Do you wash your hair, moisturize, deep condition, then add oil or re-moisturize?

I wash, condition, detangle(you dont have to worry about this yet), deep condition and moisturize my hair. To moisturize, I use a leave in conditioner, apply an oil, then a creamy product. Since you still have a TWA, you can apply a leave in conditioner and oil and be fine. That's what I did in my TWA days. As my hair got longer, it needed more.

Can you co-wash and then deep condition afterwards?

Yes

If you have anymore questions, please ask!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 13th November 2010, 12:33 pm

Great advice from the ladies! Good job!

When I rocked my TWA, I also just used a leave-in (Kinky Curly Knot Today), a styling cream or gel, and oil. Most times I added my oil before my gel in order to soften the crunchiness of gel. Deep conditioning gave my hair the moisture I needed because my hair was shocked after my BC. I deep conditioned and washed my hair 1-2/wk with my twa. I know some naturals swear by co-washing, but I never did. I used Devacurl Non-lathering No Poo shampoo and it never failed me. Experiment with your regimen and see what works for you. Please keep asking as many questions as you need.

Btw, that's great growth since your BC.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by queenshakirah 13th November 2010, 1:24 pm

Congrats!! And welcome. You can get a lot of good info from curly nikki home page. Go to the search box on the bottom right side of the page and look up Hair Regimen, I Big Chopped, and also just browse around the site. You'll find a TON of info. As for me, I co wash occasionally, sulfate-free shampoo once a week or so, deep condition once every two weeks if I remember lol, and henna once a month. I apply leave in, sometimes followed by a cream moisturizer, then seal with something oil based.
queenshakirah
queenshakirah

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 13th November 2010, 1:25 pm

Welcome aboard Crystal. Your growth is amazing. So, that proves to you your problem is not growth, but retention. You received some excellent advice. Lot of stuff coming at you, but the key is moisture. Dry hair = less hair, bottom line.

Helpful links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXi2k4cFFhI

https://www.youtube.com/user/LexiWithTheCurls?blend=2&ob=1#p/a/u/0/WcE2YAz_w3M

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 13th November 2010, 3:01 pm

Welcome Crystal:
I agree with everyone and would add that you should always balance moisture and protein. This is a great article with a hair test at the end. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

You are correct to continue asking for help, until you receive. Stay positive.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenCrystal 13th November 2010, 5:01 pm

CrissyQ, Lynnieluve, fleur_nouvelle, queenshakirah, Naturally Esq, I love you I love you Thank you ALL much for for your input and welcoming me. Lynnie, Thanks I had SO many questions and issues and I didn't understand. Deep conditioning was something that I didn't do up until TODAY when I found out I headed to the store with the quickness to get me some deep conditioning formula and some olive oil. Very Happy Its like in my head I HAD the information in my head but I had seen so many videos and everything that it was kinda lost and unorganized. I felt like I was missing some information or doing something wrong, really. Well, thanks for ALL of you guys support... All my questions are answered...for now lol.
QueenCrystal
QueenCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by Remillard 14th November 2010, 1:27 pm

Congrats on your BC! cheers
Remillard
Remillard

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 14th November 2010, 2:10 pm

Congrats and welcome!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytee 14th November 2010, 11:07 pm

hello and welcome to the Natural World. I hope this is the best accident you ever make (smile)

You have gotten a lot of really good advice. The below as written by Lynnieluve one of the best for a newbie. Keep it Simple

Since you still have a TWA, you can apply a leave in conditioner and oil and be fine. That's what I did in my TWA days. As my hair got longer, it needed more.

I would like to offer you the following: Remember this It is not product as much as it is the process. Master the Process. In the TWA stage (short hair) you have nothing but time to get knowledgeable about the Natural Hair community. take advantage to the time

Watch Videos on: Curly Girl Method, Wash n Go's, Twist Outs, Braid Outs
Regimens

Also, there is a search section at the top of the Forum, use it. There is a ton of information right here waiting for you to access it. Just about every basic question you have has been asked and answered.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, or post. You are now a member of a wonderful community. We are here to support you.
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 14th November 2010, 11:44 pm

hello ... you are doing what i could get the guts to do cut the perm hair off but its going okay ...
from what i have been doing and understand you should wash your hair weekly using a natural shampoo with no sulfate or paraben the jane carter line or giovanni shampoos are great and if you wanted something that doesn't totally strip your hair you could even try using african black soap to wash the hair and clean it , some naturals also do a co wash (witch is using a cheap conditioner to wash their hair instead of shampoo something like suave naturals , V05 works great) so you can decide to either co wash or shampoo , than you need a good deep conditioner jane carter again or any others of your choice i usually add an oil(extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil,jojoba oil,castor oil or any other oil of your choice) , avocado , honey to my deep conditioner , saturate your hair with the DC than rinse it out , you should also get a good leave in i'm now using Giovanni direct leave in i mix it with aloe vera juice and some olive oil or castor oil depending on what i have at the time it moisturize my hair pretty good than i seal with an oil or shea butter , oils and shea butter should only be added to wet hair because they seal the moisture they don't actually moisturize if your hair as it grows is still dry you can try adding some water , vegetable glycerin and any oil f your choice in a spritz bottle and spritz your hair as needed between washes and co washes hope this somewhat help and isn't to much to absorb at once this is all i have learned in my 8 months Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 15th November 2010, 1:08 am

Welcome to the journey, Queen Crystal..I hope it turns out to be all and even more than you dreamed..Even though it was an oops that brought u to us, it is good to know that you have embarked on the path to naturality. This site/forum has been a godsent. I agree with all the advice given. Your regimen is important right now, and will be always. Moisture is the key, a great moisturizer and you are ahead of the game. I was a gel girl, so I am making up for the dry days, years...lol..Now I have seen your avi, and your hair growth is amazing, so you are enjoying the fruits of naturalness...Please continue to enjoy the process, even though it may get tedious...Be blessed flower
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by priceless 15th November 2010, 5:50 pm

seems like the ladies above have got you on a good start. I would like to say welcome to a new experience in your life.

I was like you confused and lost when i decided to go natural. I found this site and have gotten addicted.

I have to recommend to find products that work for you things that do not have alot of sulfates (sulfates have been striping my hair). I would deep condition at least once a week. When you wash deep condition. I sometimes wash, put a deep conditioner on my hair and go to bed. I would wash the condition out in the morning. In the true twa days i would put the oil and leave in in the hair after i wash the deep conditioner out. you will find a lot of recommendations on great products on here. Try not to be a product junk like the most of us. Just try to find what works for you.
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by aduke1989 15th November 2010, 6:26 pm

Congrats and Welcome!!! I'm a newbie too and currently have a TWA but the ladies seemed to help you quite a bit! But if you have any questions I'm willing to help out...I know having a TWA can get a little frustrating especially if you want long healthy natural hair!
aduke1989
aduke1989

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=648990541

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 15th November 2010, 8:25 pm

QueenCrystal wrote: Very Happy Hi fellow naturals, first off I would like to say thanks for reading this, and helping me in my natural hair journey.

WELP! I 'accidentally' went natural, Smile I was perming my hair once a month, and when it came time for another perm, I noticed that my hair was so thin and brittle, like dead grass, I was stressed out at work, things were not looking good in alot of matters, so that being said, I felt like doing my hair and working with my hair was a big pain, I felt like it was getting in the way of life, so I decided to chop it off. However, I had a coworker at work who'd done the same thing, I asked her why, what were the reasons and how was it going for her. She explained to me that she had went 'natural' I was like... natural... WHATS THAT, and tell me more. So after talking to alot I was like wow, and I hadn't had a perm in about a month, so I was like you know what it all makes sense, and it felt right. Without any hesitation I started searching and looking at countless youtube videos, blogs, websites, and magazines about natural hair. When I seen a woman who had a head full of hair after only being natural for a year I was astounded. I never had long hair before but to the length of my neck and thats as long as it has been my entire life. pale

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is my big chop. dance

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is me@ a month growth.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't know what texture I am, and I have been using the Organic Root Stimulator: Moisturizer, and Herbal Essence: Totally twisted. I JUST learned like an hour ago, that you have to Deep condition your hair and keep it moisturized ALL the time. Previously, I had been washing my hair once a week, after I wash I would moisturize and thats it. I've never deep conditioned my hair, I also had thought that deep conditioning was just leaving the condition you use in your hair for 10 or 15 min in the shower. I also haven't been using any oils at all. I was wondering why my hair wasn't feeling so soft, or wasn't dry all the time like I had seen other peoples hair. confused

confused I'm confused on many things, and I have alot of questions as to what did YOU do with your hair when you big chopped. Should I start deep conditioning and how does it work exactly? Do you wash your hair, moisturize, deep condition, then add oil or re-moisturize? Or do you just jump into the deep condition, and moisturize after? Can you co-wash and then deep condition afterwards? If you wash your hair once a week like me, can you deep condition that way day or should it be 3 or 4 days later that same week? When do you add in oil? How does that work? Do you oil your hair and then moisturize afterwards or vice versa? I am very lost in this right now; (as you can tell). I want to go ahead and thank everyone for reading this and replying. I love you

Hi and welcome to CN, I'm loving your TWA and you look like you're loving it too!

I will try to help to the best of my ability. I was so frustrated with my hair before I BC'd because I couldn't do anything with it anymore, so after I chopped I had a lot of opportunities open to do things to my hair. DCing is up to you, I've only recently started due to a challenge on another forum, and I personally think the Protein DCs are helpful, but with Moisture DCs it's only soft for the moment, but I hope it still helps my hair. Here's my process (and you're allowed to pre-poo if you wish) Shampoo, oil rinse, conditioner, and then DC for an hour with a plastic cap, rinse, and apply leave in/moisturizers. I use an oil rinse because it's thought to help make detangling easier. I haven't finished "testing" that idea yet. I don't see anything wrong with co-washing and then DCing though, and I DC on my shampoo day which is once a week as well. You should really do what makes you comfortable, if you want to DC twice a week then do so, but just make sure it's not all protein. There should be a balance between the two.

I personally only use oils when I'm styling, and occasionally in my DC, but haven't noticed a difference. You should put it after your moisturizer to help keep the moisture in for a longer time. HTH a bit! Very Happy
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenCrystal 16th November 2010, 4:27 am

Thanks EVERYONE for all of the support! I have currently decided in my TWA days, I am going to deep condition every two weeks, and I use olive oil to seal, but only every other day, because I'm afraid that I will over do it and keep the moisturizer from getting to my hair. I'm pretty sure as it grows into a fro over the next 6 months I'm going to have to REALLY work harder to find something better and to take care of it better but for right now I guess It can remain as is, as long as it keeps growing, In one week I'll be hitting my two month mark so I'll be posting pics!
QueenCrystal
QueenCrystal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down