CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural in Memphis

3 posters

Go down

Natural in Memphis Empty Natural in Memphis

Post by KinkyKesha 12th November 2010, 10:48 pm

Hi I have been transitioning for 3 months and is really getting frustrated with my relaxed/natural hair. I find that maintenance is just as time consuming as it was (maybe mroe) with relaxed hair. I'm really considering BC'ing in January and rocking a TWA until I get length. Any suggestions?!?!?!?!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Natural in Memphis Event

KinkyKesha

Back to top Go down

Natural in Memphis Empty Re: Natural in Memphis

Post by naturallynola 12th November 2010, 10:58 pm

When you say any suggestions, what exactly do you mean? Are you needing ideas for styles to blend the 2 textures or are you having problems with the condition of your hair? What do you need help with? What is causing you to have to invest a lot of time. With your responses, we will be able to help you. I am a 9 month transitioner and there are many here who are transitioning and alot of natural ladies, so you will get help.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyKesha 12th November 2010, 11:24 pm

Detangling and moisture is one of my biggest problems. I try to add oils every day but my hair begins to feel like it's packed with product/greasy. The routine I'm trying is co-washing once a week and deep conditioning every 2-3 weeks. I also need suggestions on additional styles, so far I have done braid outs and I recently learned how to use the flexi-rods, so other than those 2 styles, I am lost especially if I'm doing my own hair.

KinkyKesha

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 13th November 2010, 12:37 pm

Detangling :

Was such a nightmare for me, I almost got depressed on wash day and THEN I found kimmaytube leave-in ( recipe = 2T aloe gel 2T water (always use distilled) and 2t of 2 oils - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXi2k4cFFhI. Modify as you prefer, but unless your hair hates it or it is not accessible to you, I would use the Kinky Curly Knot Today (KCNT) I stress that b/c of the ongoing detangling ingredients in this product specifically. The Aloe is there for moisture and aloe does help w/ detangling. When I began using the kimmaytube leave-in, coupled with washing my hair in the shower in sections, it was amazing. I do not comb my hair between wash days, and usually can simply finger detangle after shampooing. I detangle under running water and many of the ladies slather conditioner to detangle. I don't usually have to do that, but it is effective provided you have the right condish (one with lots of slip).

Moisture:

Also, sealing ends with an oil or butter after a moisturizing product keeps the moisture in the hair instead of allowing it to escape. When you rinse your condish out, use water and cold as you can tolerate (I know it is cool/cold now), but that closes the cuticle so that just added water remains. Some people having extra dryness problems "baggy" Sleep with a moisturizer in their hair with a bag on the head to trap the moisture. When morning comes--moist hair.

I don't know like oil on a daily basis. I prepoo with oils the night before I wash (coconut oil or olive oil, but I am now dabbling with coconut and Qhemet Alma Olive Heavy Cream as the prepoo). I have a little oil in my spritz bottle and a little in the leave-in. That's enough oil for me. But, your hair "knows," so listen to it.

Style wise - I suggest you routinely look at the YT videos. So many styles from braids, twists, upodos, etc. Some do bantu knots, bantu knotouts, coils (single strand twists), curlformers, strawsets, bunning. Really, there are alot of options. That is one of the great things about going natural!!

Hope some of this is helpful Smile

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyKesha 14th November 2010, 3:58 pm

Everything you mentioned was very helpful, I'm going to try the kimmaytub leave-in hoping it helps. Just one more question...when sealing the ends, do I need to appy while my hair is wet?

KinkyKesha

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 14th November 2010, 6:07 pm

Yes and another way to look at it is anything that you have applied that provides your hair with moisture, you want to seal in so you retain the moisture.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta007 7th January 2011, 2:57 am

Kinky Kesha, I hope some curlies in Memphis decide to meet this winter, before the weather gets too bad. I am in AR, 4 hours away. I am a bc from Aug or Sept and I don't know what my hair like yet either.
Delta007
Delta007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down