CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil vs. Expeller Pressed

3 posters

Go down

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil vs. Expeller Pressed Empty Extra Virgin Coconut Oil vs. Expeller Pressed

Post by Neems 8th November 2010, 3:35 pm

I was just wondering if there is really a difference and benefit to hair if I use Extra Virgin Coconut Oil or 100% Expeller Pressed, Organic Coconut Oil?
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil vs. Expeller Pressed Empty Re: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil vs. Expeller Pressed

Post by Lynnieluve 8th November 2010, 3:37 pm

I've only used the Organic coconut oil refined or unrefined. There difference in these two are the smell. At least that's the only thing I've noticed.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil vs. Expeller Pressed Empty Re: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil vs. Expeller Pressed

Post by naturallynola 8th November 2010, 5:53 pm

It depends. Follow this:

EVCO just refers to the fact that the batch of oil was recovered from the first press or processing = more beneficial than oil expelled later in the process. Its the highest quality in terms of the health benefit (amount of fatty acids, etc.)

100% expeller pressed only means it was mechanically processed by squeezing until the oil comes out of the coconut. That doesn't really tell you much other than it was not cold pressed, which would mean the processing was controlled so the temperature during the processing did not exceed a certain temp (at least not above 120. Some companies use about 90 degrees as their standard because you don't want to diminish the nutritional value with the heat).

Organic is the designation that refers to the processing conditions, source of the coconut, and exposure of the coconut to chemicals, toxins, etc. If the label has the USDA organic seal then, take a look at this site. It is where I went when I was first trying to figure out what items I wanted to make sure were organic: http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=ORGANIC_CERTIFICATIO&navtype=RT&parentnav=AGRICULTURE

So, with all of that being said, I personally prefer Organic, unrefined EVCO

unrefined and organic because the coconut should not have been exposed to things either during processing, before, or after that are potentially harmful AND I get the full benefit of the coconut oil (esp. the benefit of the fatty acids). Hope this helps.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 9th November 2010, 11:57 am

@naturalnolagirl1900 Thanks for the information. I usually buy unrefined EVCO but I noticed the other one was significantly cheaper and I wasn't sure why. Personally, I love the smell of the EVCO, it's yummy. The fact that it's nutritious and good for me doesn't hurt either.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 9th November 2010, 9:18 pm

Know what you mean about the smell. I agree; it is yummy!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down