CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fine Hair Handling Techniques and Types of Products I Don't Need

+4
Fleur
oooop2
MsJay1121
SummerSkye
8 posters

Go down

Fine Hair Handling Techniques and Types of Products I Don't Need Empty Fine Hair Handling Techniques and Types of Products I Don't Need

Post by SummerSkye 7th November 2010, 8:04 pm

Hi!

Whether your naturally fine hair is thick or thin, please share how you handle your hair.

I have discovered that I need to do the following:

1 - Wash my hair with shampoo weekly to rid my hair of product
2 - Style my hair when damp; not wet or dry

What I don't need:

1 - Lengthy deep treatments
2 - Leave in conditioner (well not as a leave in at least)
3 - Heavy stylers that weigh my hair down
4 - Co-washing

What works for you?
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

http://plumspectacles.com

Back to top Go down

Fine Hair Handling Techniques and Types of Products I Don't Need Empty Re: Fine Hair Handling Techniques and Types of Products I Don't Need

Post by SummerSkye 9th November 2010, 1:02 am

bump
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

Back to top Go down

Fine Hair Handling Techniques and Types of Products I Don't Need Empty Re: Fine Hair Handling Techniques and Types of Products I Don't Need

Post by MsJay1121 9th November 2010, 1:12 am

My list is similiar, and my hair is fine but densely packed.
I need:
1.) A light hand. I find I can use heavier stylers, just sparingly, or on my ends.

2.) Shampoo. Cowashing gives me lot of moisture, but TONS of buildup. Not cool when you want big hair.

3.) Damp styling. Unless it's twists (yeah, hair's really finicky). I do them on wet hair, so my twistouts are more defined.

I don't need:
1.) I don't need lengthy DC's either. However, now that I have some highlights, I'll have to just to be safe...

2.) Shea Butter. My hair likes products with it in them (ie the Shea Moisture line), but is not feeling raw, unrefined shea butter. My skin on the other hand is in love Wink
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 9th November 2010, 2:10 am

My daughter has fine strands w/thick hair.

I've found that unlike my hair, I can't wash her hair in sections. Takes too long and she becomes whiny.

I wash her hair loose in a tub. Just let her lie down in the water to wet her hair. I shampoo w/ a conditioning poo, then I rinse in a stream of water. I then apply a ton on moisturizing condish and place hair in a ponytail. I let it sit for about 5-10min while I give her a bath in clean bath water. I then lightly rinse her hair under a stream of water to remove the excess condish, but not all. I then remove the ponytail and work the remaining condish that wasn't rinsed out into her hair. I then place hair back into a ponytail and lightly cover w/ a hair towel.

To style, I remove 1 small section at a time from the ponytail. I lightly spritz with herbal water. Comb though with a wide tooth comb, then I go over w/a Denman brush, followed by a small tooth comb. I apply some moisturizing cream (BeeMine/Qhemet/my shea mix) and style (typically in med-large twist making sure to braid some of the root before twisting).
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 9th November 2010, 11:34 am

Ooop2, I use this for my toddler's hair. It cuts down on the wash and rinse time, plus it protects her eyes from shampoo and water when I rinse:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=536715&cmSource=CrossSell&relatedProductId=442788

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=442788

Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 10th November 2010, 4:20 am

Thank you guys for sharing. I'm determined to master this interesting head of hair I've got!!
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sequoia 22nd November 2010, 4:02 am

What I need:
*Protein
*A creamy leave-in conditioner
*Styling on damp or dry hair
*Shampoo...co-washing doesn't clean my hair/scalp enough

What I don't need:
*Products with a lot of glycerin
*Heavy oils and stylers
Sequoia
Sequoia

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 22nd November 2010, 4:10 am

Sequoia wrote:What I need:
*Protein
*A creamy leave-in conditioner
*Styling on damp or dry hair
*Shampoo...co-washing doesn't clean my hair/scalp enough

What I don't need:
*Products with a lot of glycerin
*Heavy oils and stylers

Thanks, Sequoia. I concur! However, I haven't dabbled with glycerin products enough to tell if I like it. I still have an almost full 32oz bottle of S-Curl under the sink! Smile
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 22nd November 2010, 2:13 pm

I need:

1. Shampoo (build-up is a mug)
2. Leave-in (my hair might be fine, but it's DRY)
3. Heavy moisturizer (because of the dryness)
4. Styling on damp hair (mostly because my hair springs the hell back up as soon as I let it fly)

The thing is, my hair is a combination of fine and coarse strands. I've shed some gossamer fine hair, and then a minute later come across a thicker, coarse strand. So moisturizing my hair is a pain in the butt.

What I don't need:

1. Most Protein (my hair haaates it)
2. A lot of butters (again with the hate)
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 22nd November 2010, 2:57 pm

The thing is, my hair is a combination of fine and coarse strands. I've shed some gossamer fine hair, and then a minute later come across a thicker, coarse strand. So moisturizing my hair is a pain in the butt.

Thanks for articulating my experience. I did not know how to describe what goes on with my hair.

1. Most Protein (my hair haaates it)
I loved your description of your Aubrey Organics GPB encounter.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 22nd November 2010, 3:06 pm

My hair is fine, but medium in density. It's thick on the sides. It's also porous and will drink up a water based product. As for the type, it's mostly 4a, but all 3C in the back. I wish it was one or the other, because the dividing line is truly the center of my head and it's a pain to get those two hair types to look the same. The back is always shiner and the curls are much looser.

I need:

1. Shampoo every other week. (I'm currently using Suave 2 in 1 w/conditioner in it. I like. I don't care about sulfates and neither does my hair)

2. Leave-in - using Giovanni Direct and I like it, but I'm on the hunt to see if I like something else cause I'm a PJ.

3. I like creamy moisturizers and I love light oils. I also oil my scalp once a week. I love it.

4. I style on wet or damp hair. Haven't tried dry hair. I just can't imagine my hair liking it.

5. Protein and glycerin - my hair loves both.

6. Water - my hair loves it more.

7. Weekly Deep Conditioning - If I'm a few days late, my ends tell me.

8. A Denman brush - great for defining my curls and detangling.

What I don't need:
1. Shea Butter and shea in the top three or 4 ingredients- my hair hates it.
2. Grapeseed and Tea Tree Oil - my hair doesn't like those two. Could just be on wet hair, I'll have to try on dry hair and see.
3. Castor oil - on wet hair - disaster
4. Products with wax - drying
5. To ever do an Baking Soda/ACV rinse again. Completely dried my hair out.
6. To waste my time doing an oil treatment. They do nothing for my hair except make it feel coarse.
7. Alot of product, but I keep wanting to use it.

What I wish my hair would do:
Grow down or hang down. It's growing up and out and it's so tightly coiled it's unbelievable.

Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down