CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just did the big chop!

+7
fanmnatirel
naturallynola
Renny
curlytee
Treece
rayray19
Natural11.2010
11 posters

Go down

Just did the big chop! Empty Just did the big chop!

Post by Natural11.2010 7th November 2010, 12:59 am

What is a good product to use to kind of curl the hair, my hair is very low though as of right now. and also what should I tie my hair with at night time?

Thanks...

Natural11.2010

Back to top Go down

Just did the big chop! Empty Re: Just did the big chop!

Post by rayray19 7th November 2010, 3:35 am

to curl the hair you can use gel..it clumps your girls together and gives a more defined look..i use KCCC when defining my curls, but u could also use eco styler gel (its a whole lot cheaper)

and when my twa (tiny weeny afro) was real low (i started off with about an inch of hair) i tied my hair at night with a satin bonnet..alot of naturals use them..they keep frizz away and helps with breakage

CONGRATS on the BC!!! enjoy your curls
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 7th November 2010, 10:42 am

Congrats on the BC!

In addition to EcoStyler, you can try a Curling Creme or Scrunching product. Some may leave your hair crunchy, but will hold your curls, so you can try adding an oil to see if it will help. Also Pantene has released a new line of products that are geared towards different types of hair such as Curly, Dry, Color Treated, etc.

They have a curling gel that's very light so you could probably give that a try, I haven't experienced hardness with it like you may with EcoStyler (but you can add oil to try to combat that), but I don't feel it has a strong hold. But it's a nice alternative I think

Good Luck
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytee 7th November 2010, 2:11 pm

Congrats on the Big Chop!!!!!

I would recommend using a leave in under a gel watch the alcohol in the gel. A lot of women are using the Eco Green Gel

Just remember to master the process and not become a slave to the products.
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 7th November 2010, 2:42 pm

Wow! So great for you. I echo gel. I have used Herbal Essence (HE) Set Me Up Gel #3, Ecostyler and I'm currently using Donna Marie's Miracurl (a little pricier, great ingredients, awesome results for me), but the HE gel is in Walmart and all the pharmacies for $4. I think it's a great place to start. I believe in starting with cheaper products and working your way up in price if you can't find anything that works on the low end.

As for the HE gel it works well with a leave-in. I didn't find that with my Ecostyler, but I admit to having given up on Eco pretty quickly. The HE gel has a Ceteyral Alcohol (spelling) in it, but according to Curly Nikki that's really a fatty acid or something and it's not a bad ingredient.

Also - try using a teeshirt instead of a towel to soak up the water from your hair. Works wonderfully. Don't be lazy about working the gel into your hair if you have to. You may not be able to just slap it on and get instant curls. Here's a couple of links to videos for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR_EJUfzu0c&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzkJ32ukzk&feature=related

All the best. Please update us!

Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 7th November 2010, 3:06 pm

Personally, I tie my hair. I hate feeling all bundled up. I sleep on a satin pillowcase. If my hair is wet as it is now because of the cooler weather and my hair's thickness, I just cover my pillow with a towel, and double pillow case the pillow. The top case being the satin one. The curl enhancement will def depend on your hair. Here are some possible options: flax seed gel (quick, easy, and cheap to make). Recipes are everywhere. Its natural and no negative side effects. I second Renny's option of DM Miracurl. The container is huge. You get bang for the dollar and it is very good! KCNT. I find using it without the KCCC (which takes a long time to dry) is very curl enhancing. Curls souffle - good ingredients (cheap $10 at Target). For me personally, plain on aloe vera gel works(I use Lily of the Desert) [high end brand]. Also, remember, these products enhance the curls you have. If your hair type is more cottony and not curly, they will not produce something that is not there. There are alot of curl defining creams out there too. Just google search and you will see a ton. Just be on the look out for drying ingredients! Good luck and congrats!!!!!!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural11.2010 7th November 2010, 9:43 pm

Thanks all of you, I will kept all the sugesstions in mind...I am going to go and get a satin wrap from my head at night time, but I'm tell trying to figure out which gel to try out first, THERE ARE SOOO MANY...but thanks again..
and I will keep you updated...

Oh and another question, I chopped my hair off myself, but I believe that there may be so parts that are a little uneven should I go to a barber and have them trim it down evenly, or it should't matter and just leave it alone to start growing out?

Natural11.2010

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 7th November 2010, 10:45 pm

Congrats!!! Welcome...
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Remillard 8th November 2010, 2:41 am

Congrats on you BC!
Remillard
Remillard

Back to top Go down

Post by netta 12th January 2011, 2:02 am

Congrats, I just joined the 2011 big chop hair growth challenge for those who bc Nov, Dec, Jan. Please join us.
netta
netta

http://publicfotki.com/netta315/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittabug 12th January 2011, 2:05 am

Congrats!!!
Kittabug
Kittabug

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 12th January 2011, 2:06 am

Congrats On your BC to define curls Gels are better use any gel that doesn't contain alcohol like Eco styler there are at least 5 different kind to chose from and work your way up to some that are more expensive Tie your hair with a silk bonnet a=or sleep on a silk pillow case
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 12th January 2011, 2:22 am

Congrats On your BC to define curls Gels are better use any gel that doesn't contain alcohol like Eco styler there are at least 5 different kind to chose from and work your way up to some that are more expensive Tie your hair with a silk bonnet a=or sleep on a silk pillow case
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down