CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protective Styling - What Can I DO??

4 posters

Go down

Protective Styling  - What Can I DO??  Empty Protective Styling - What Can I DO??

Post by BlakButterfli 2nd November 2010, 2:11 pm

I posted this in the Grow Long forum, but thought I would get more feedback on this thread...

Ladies, in a nutshell, I have thin, fine extremely soft hair. I've been wearing a weave for two months (wore one style one month, took it down, did a DC and put in another style the next day and just took it down last night after a little over a month) and I shed SO much hair last night!

I'm trying to find some protective styles that will look good for the office, but that will keep my hair tucked away. I can't wear twists to work (won't work in my environment and with my hair being thin, it looks "scalpy" and very much Miss Celie like).

I notice a lot of people bun their hair or wear two-strand twists to protect their hair, but I don't have that much length and again - twists at work won't work for me.

I'm kinda at a loss - please help me! .
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Protective Styling  - What Can I DO??  Empty Re: Protective Styling - What Can I DO??

Post by Treece 2nd November 2010, 5:22 pm

Hi there! here's a couple of different protective styles. If you don't know how to do them try google or Youtube. Some of these I may not have tried myself. Good luck. Smile

Also keep in mind that not only is protecting ends important, but you can damage your hair during styling. I damaged my hair a lot doing cornrows while transitioning and refuse to do them, but that is only because it's hard for me to do them on myself. Be gentle. Smile

Bantu Knots
Braids
Extensions
Wigs
WnG (Wash 'n' Go)
Headwraps
Finger Coils
Flat twists
Updo's

HTH. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Protective Styling  - What Can I DO??  Empty Re: Protective Styling - What Can I DO??

Post by Naturally Esq 2nd November 2010, 6:44 pm

You could do a roller set, and pin it up into an updo.

What is the style in your avatar? It looks good.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 2nd November 2010, 8:49 pm

That's actually roller set that I did om the spur of the moment. I didn't really consider that protective styling. lol I hate sleeping in the rollers, but thanks for letting me know this is an option for me.

Now, how do I get those curls to last more than one day? I wore that style for about 3 days, but I had to roll my hair each night. I only used coconut oil and I think a little of a Shea Moisture product - the style had no hold.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 2nd November 2010, 9:42 pm

You have to use a styler like a gel, setting lotion or a foam/mousse. My hair is fine, also. I use Giovanni Natural Hair Mousse Styling foam. I apply it over my leave in and moisturizer.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 3rd November 2010, 12:26 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:You have to use a styler like a gel, setting lotion or a foam/mousse. My hair is fine, also. I use Giovanni Natural Hair Mousse Styling foam. I apply it over my leave in and moisturizer.

Naturally Esq, I have the Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream - can that be my leave-in and moisturizer or do you think I need both? I guess I'm thinking a leave-in and moisturizer are the same, but I could be wrong. Can you tell me what you use for your moisturizer and/or leave-in?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 3rd November 2010, 1:22 pm

Are kinky twists an option?
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 3rd November 2010, 2:33 pm

BlakButterfli wrote:
Naturally Esq wrote:You have to use a styler like a gel, setting lotion or a foam/mousse. My hair is fine, also. I use Giovanni Natural Hair Mousse Styling foam. I apply it over my leave in and moisturizer.

Naturally Esq, I have the Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream - can that be my leave-in and moisturizer or do you think I need both? I guess I'm thinking a leave-in and moisturizer are the same, but I could be wrong. Can you tell me what you use for your moisturizer and/or leave-in?

Whether that is enough, depends on your hair. This is a great article on moisture/protein with a hair test at the end: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

Since my BC, I have had to increase (in amount and frequency) the moisture that I apply. Once a week, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk (SAS) Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Direct Leave In as my leave in. When my hair is damp, I apply a little Vatika oil and Curls Milkshake to all of my hair, and Curls Whipped Cream to my ends. I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam. I re-boost my moisture during the week with Curls Whipped Cream. I just started using the Curls products, so far so good.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down