CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help!!! What To Do About these straight pieces????

5 posters

Go down

Help!!! What To Do About these straight pieces???? Empty Help!!! What To Do About these straight pieces????

Post by VickiC2003 24th November 2009, 1:49 am

Hello all!
I am new to being natural. After 1 year of having no relaxer, I BC'd myself last month. While I was transitioning I would flat iron my hair and now my edges will not revert!!!! The rest of my hair is curly, but my edges remain straight. I am no longer flat ironing my hair. Will my edges revert in time or will I have to grow out the straight hair??? Does anyone have any advice for me?
VickiC2003
VickiC2003

Back to top Go down

Help!!! What To Do About these straight pieces???? Empty Re: Help!!! What To Do About these straight pieces????

Post by tiashaunteé 24th November 2009, 11:23 am

I think that straightening when newly natural is one thing a lot of naturals learn an important lesson about. For some people when you straighten it stretches out your coils and they will remain straight. Sometimes the only remedy is to cut them off or try and hid them and trim them away slowly.
Also when flat ironing it would be helpful to try to use the lowest temp possible. The heat does a lot of damage to hair.

I flat ironed and pressed my hair for years.....I'm talking sizzling and smoking hot temps. My hair still curled up but it was seriously stretched. I would deep condition for an entire weekend and wear braids, braidouts, twists, and twistouts. Basically any style to encourage the re-coiling of my hair. Try some styles like that for awhile and see if that works for you, if not you may have to trim.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Help!!! What To Do About these straight pieces???? Empty Re: Help!!! What To Do About these straight pieces????

Post by VickiC2003 24th November 2009, 1:53 pm

Tiashauntee,
Thanks for your advice. I figured that I would have to either let the straight pieces grow out or do braid outs or twist outs to encourages the curls. I will try the twist outs and braid out first and hopefully my curls come back. I will let you know how that goes.
VickiC2003
VickiC2003

Back to top Go down

Post by crustaceans 24th November 2009, 2:11 pm

You are probably experiencing some heat damage. Unfortunately, its not reversible. You will most likely have to just grow it out.
crustaceans
crustaceans

http://crustaceans.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 24th November 2009, 2:20 pm

@VickiC2003 I definitely agree with @tiashauntee! Eventually they will coil back up, depending on how damaged the strands are. I only straighten my hair every now and then, and most of the time I end up having to cut off some strands (while its curly and wet) just because it frustrates the heck outta me! Most of the time though, I just wash, wash, wash and the curls usually come back! But there's always a few strands that never want to act right, so I snip those off!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by smartblackchic 28th November 2009, 8:47 am

I say, try protein treatments on your edges only & Just wear those elastic or any other cute headbands until you can get it under control. If it's not too bad, you can just set the hair with small rollers or something.
smartblackchic
smartblackchic

https://www.youtube.com/smartblackchic

Back to top Go down

Post by VickiC2003 29th November 2009, 2:32 am

@ Natural83 and smartblackchic!! Thanks so much for the encouragement. I will definitely try what you've suggested and I will keep you all posted!!!
VickiC2003
VickiC2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down