CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I messed up big time...

+2
krazy coils
DreaDay
6 posters

Go down

I messed up big time... Empty I messed up big time...

Post by DreaDay 25th October 2010, 3:53 pm

So I tried an Apple Cider Vinegar rince last weekend with AWESOME results. My hair felt moisturized and soft all week long. That time I filled up the bottom most layer of a 4oz glass (Probably less than an oz) and filled the rest with water and poured it over my hair as a final rinse. Well I enjoyed those results so much I decided to do it again this past weekend. This time filled small spray bottle about a third of the way with ACV and the rest with water. I sprayed it onto my hair while standing uder the shower stream. I sprayed alot (thinking it would give it even distribution.) Well... After that I put in my leave-ins and sealed with Shea as I had done the previous week. I let it dry assuming I would wake in the moring with glouriously soft and moisturized hair. NOT. THE. CASE. My hair is a mess!!!! The ends are ridiculously frizzy and it is tangled like never before. I pretty sure the culprit is the amount and way I applied the ACV. My question is how to I fix it? How can I make my hair go back to the way it was before? Will it go back? How long will that take? I'm really sad about this and very dissappointed in myself, I had been doing so good in maintaining my hair. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Please help. Sad

DreaDay

Back to top Go down

I messed up big time... Empty Re: I messed up big time...

Post by krazy coils 25th October 2010, 4:19 pm

I think you may have used too much ACV. Usually you should use 1tbsp per cup of water. The next time add more water to your mix. Try using a moisturizing conditioner or deep conditioning your hair to get it back to normal.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 25th October 2010, 4:31 pm

I agree with Krazy Coils. Always measure carefully, rinse it out, then DC, Condtion etc.

Since ACV is an acidic rinse, you can try to balance your pH with an alkaline mixture of 1TBS Bakning Soda + 3 TBS conditoner. Spread evenly through hair and scalp, then rinse thoroughly and condition etc.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by latoya1908 25th October 2010, 4:45 pm

I just tried a baking soda/ACV treatment on my hair last Saturday also. I put about 3 or 4 tablespoons of baking soda in my deep conditioning mix (conditioner, cholesterol, EVOO) and let that sit on my hair for about 2 hours. I rinsed that out and then put about 1 and half tbls of ACV in an empty 16.9 oz water bottle. I filled the rest up with water, shook it, and just poured it over my head.

After that I applied my leave in and styled as usual. So far so good.
latoya1908
latoya1908

Back to top Go down

Post by bertlala 25th October 2010, 5:55 pm

Yeah, it sounds as if you used WAY TOO MUCH ACV!!! You should try rewashing your hair, deep conditioning and then try one ounce of ACV to four ounces of water. That should do it.
bertlala
bertlala

http://naturalbeezwax.onsugar.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 25th October 2010, 6:05 pm

It is my understanding that you only use the Baking Soda if you use too much ACV. The purpose of the ACV rinse is to remove product buildup and restore your hair's natural pH.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by latoya1908 25th October 2010, 6:14 pm

Okay Drea, I'm really not trying to highjack your thread.... Very Happy LOL

But I thought the Baking Soday raises the cuticles of your hair and allows more moisture in. The ACV, to my knowledge, was to simply close the cuticles, trapping in moisture.

Someone please advise.
latoya1908
latoya1908

Back to top Go down

Post by DreaDay 25th October 2010, 7:25 pm

Thanks for all the advice ladies. @latoya- don't even worry about it because I was wondering the same thing.

I had heard you could use baking soda to help clarify your hair and must follow with ACV to balance everything out. Initially my first thought was to do just that. But then I thought it might do more harm than good, especially so soon after the rinse with too much ACV. Now I'm confused.... Sad. I think may just deep condition tonight and continue to co-wash and do the Baking Soda/ACV combo later in the week. This time I will measure everything out and make sure I am light-handed in my application, LOL. Thank you so much for all the advise Very Happy

DreaDay

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 25th October 2010, 8:39 pm

From Tiffany Anderson's Live Curly, Live Free Website

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

There is some debate on whether or not an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse alone can clarify the hair; however, it is helpful to bring the hair back into balance after an alkaline solution has come into contact with the hair and will shut the cuticle back down. Repeated use of ACV rinses can be drying, so limit use to once per month at most:

Combine:
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup warm water

Pour the mixture over the hair after cleansing (do not rinse out), then condition as usual. Any lingering smell will dissipate as the hair dries.

Baking Soda Clarification

With some silicone-based products, clarification must be done to remove the product that builds up over time on the hair shaft. Rather than resort to sulfate-based shampoos to remove this build-up, which can damage and dry the hair, a baking soda cleanse is preferable:

Combine:
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 tablespoons curly-friendly conditioner

Apply mixture to the scalp and massage firmly, then continue to massage the mixture down the hair shaft to the ends. Work into hair well. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and follow immediately with an apple cider vinegar rinse.

Note: you must follow any baking soda cleanse with an apple cider vinegar rinse. Baking soda is alkaline—meaning it will raise your cuticle and open up your hair shaft. The apple cider vinegar is acidic and will close your cuticle back down. If you don't follow the cleanse with an ACV rinse, you'll be leaving your hair shaft open and setting yourself up for more frizz than you'd probably like.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down