CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly Natural

5 posters

Go down

Newly Natural  Empty Newly Natural

Post by rajah.sincere 22nd October 2010, 10:47 am

So I am new to this natural world been getting a relaxer since I was about 10. I finally worked up the nerve to do the bc and I am happy I did. I am having a hard time figuring out my hair type and what to do with my hair. The lady at the salon told me I was in the middle (kinky curly). Would really like some advice on what hair type my hair is and what I should use on it. So far just been using vegetable glycerin mix with tea tree oil and a cream moisturizer. Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

rajah.sincere

Back to top Go down

Newly Natural  Empty Re: Newly Natural

Post by Free2Be 22nd October 2010, 11:14 am

Hi there!

This is my opinion: I think the hair typing is overrated. If you're concerned about keeping your hair healthy and curls bouncy, it's probably more helpful to determine the texture of your hair and it's porosity (the ability to absorb moisture/products). Knowing my hair type (some type of 3, I really don't care) hasn't helped me in any other way than possible styling options, which wasn't helpful during my TWA stage. That's just MY experience. Someone else may have a totally different outlook.

Visit the Live Curly, Live Free website and read through what's there, especially this section on texture and porosity. Once you know that, you will know better the types of products you can use.

Here's a quote from Tiffany Anderson's website, Live Curly, Live Free:
Why Hair Texture and Porosity are the Keys to Understanding Your Curls

This is where the so-called "curl classification systems" can be problematic. If Type 2 is supposed to mean fine, wavy hair, what happens if you have wavy hair with a coarse texture and high porosity? Or you have tight corkscrew curls often wrongly categorized as coarse, but your hair is baby-fine (as are many with curly hair) with really low porosity?

If you have wavy hair and follow the routines and use the products normally suggested for this curl type, but your hair is actually coarse and overly porous, you are going to end up with hair like straw–plus, you won't be addressing the problem of your high porosity, which blows product out of the hair shaft anyway.

If your corkscrew curls are fine and you load them up with the humectants and emollients often recommended for this hair type, your hair will end up a limp, stringy mess, assuming you can get the product into your hair in the first place. It just doesn't work that way.
I wish you all the best. Check out the various forums and you will find a ton of useful info. The search feature works great too.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 22nd October 2010, 9:13 pm

It looks like it's 4a. I agree with Free2B that you will have to determine the texture and porosity to help you decide which products are best. Did the lady at the salon tell you what texture and porosity you have?

I have 4a/b fine textured, porous hair that loves protein. I use Giovanni Products that can be bought at Whole Foods, Target, Walmart, CVS, Pharmaca, and health food stores. Once a week, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk (SAS) Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Direct Leave In as my leave in, I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam and/or Giovanni LA Natural Style Gel. I seal with Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie or EVCO or castor oil. During the week, when I need a moisture boost I use Vatika oil and Giovanni Direct Leave In.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by DreaDay 22nd October 2010, 11:05 pm

Congrat on the change!!!

Some things that helped me overall and I wished I had been sooner were: cold water rinses, Apple Cider Vinegar rinses and Shea Butter as a sealer. I learn it is not so much about a specific product, but the ingredients

I agree with the ladies above me though. It's not so much your curl pattern that matters. It really is about how your hair holds moisture and the texture of it. I just recently stopped focusing on my "hair type" and paid closer attention to the porosity and texture and my hair has been thanking me. My curls are popping and stay moisturized much longer because I am finally getting a handle on what they need. The Live Free, Live Curly website was amazing in the way it broke everything down in way that was easy to understand. Good luck.

DreaDay

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 22nd October 2010, 11:32 pm

Great advice above. Keep this in mind. Your hair will tell you what it like! But, we always have to listen. The problem is we are very anxious and excited when we first begin this hair journey. So, we are tempted to try everything that someone says works for them. Concentrate on the basics and then adding non-essential products can follow: The basics: The hair must stay moisturized, we must keep the scalp and hair clean and conditioned. There is a proper balance between moisturizing and protein. When out of balance, the hair becomes weakened. So, use a shampoo that is not drying. So, the ingredients we know that work against moisture, stay away from. Some of the ladies cowash with a conditioner instead of using a shampoo. Personally, I shampoo at least weekly. Use a moisturizing conditioner after each shampoo. Again, stay away from ingredients that promotes dryness. Buy or prepare a homemade spritz so you can lightly spray your hair when it needs moisture between washes. If you prepare one, make sure you use distilled water. A liquid and a small amount of oil is very basic. Some add aloe vera (which is 99%) water. Some add a little conditioner, and some add an essential oil. The key is to have something readily available to moisturize your hair. Now, I personally use a leave in conditioner. Some people do, some don't. I do because I have very good moisture that basically takes me to the next wash day and I don't have tangles. I personally do not comb my hair between wash days. I finger part. On wash days, I use a comb, but minimally. For stylers, some people use gels. They can be very drying. Many have alcohol, polymers, wax, and other ingredients that work against your effort toward moisture. Of course, there are gels that are either organic or natural that don't have these drying ingredients. Look for those. For people who use a lot of products, there will be quite a bit of scalp and hair build up. Clarify with apple cider vinegar or baking soda while shampooing or one of the natural clays like Bentonite or Rhassoul. These are all natural ingredients, but a good moisturizing conditioner afterwards should be done.

AGain, your hair will tell you what it likes in terms of specific products. I suggest you keep a detailed journal of what you use, with what other products you use it, if the hair is wet or dry, what the weather is like (humid or not), etc. The more details the better. You will see patterns and know what works for your hair. Also, if you have a Whole Food Market or other stores that will take a product back if you don't like it, I recommend shopping at those places until you know what works for you. If you shop online, always see if the site sells samples so if the product doesn't work for you, not much money loss. Even if they don't indicate they have samples, you can contact them directly and they might do it for you.

Hope some of this helps along with the great advice the ladies above gave.

(SLS - Sodium Lauryl Sulphate
- Dimethicone - Silicone
- Cyclomethicone - Silicone
- Propylene Glycol - used in car anti freeze
- Polymers - aka: plastic
- Sodium Polyacrylate - the absorbent gel in baby diapers also used in most commercial hair gels
- PEG anything
- Heavy Alcohols as they all contribute to dry curly hair.
Ethy alcohol or butyl alcohol etc causes dryness. Whereas, vegetable fatty alcohols are not alcohol as we know it; they are fatty acids.)

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by rajah.sincere 23rd October 2010, 12:15 am

thanks everyone for the advice. the lady just said I was in between I'm in the middle. I was looking online at curlmart.com and it has the different hair types and the products they recommend but it's hard to pick when I don't even know what my hair type is. I've tried a few different products and haven't found one that really works for me yet. My friend looked at my hair tonight when she was braiding it and she says it looks like it's different all over like a 3c/4 if there is such thing I don't know. Today I went to the hair salon because my mom was getting her hair done and she got a texturizer? the lady was saying that I should get one too but isn't that like a chemical in the hair?

rajah.sincere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down