CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maintain your curly look?

5 posters

Go down

Maintain your curly look? Empty Maintain your curly look?

Post by kimc 22nd October 2010, 9:52 am

I have tried Marc Anthony's curl lotion and Kinky Curly. They both give me great curl definition. The problem. I can't do this in the morning before work, so at night my head is soaking wet, and I use the diffuser lightly to get the drip to stop. I put my satin bonnet on and go to sleep. In the morning curls are there, but it is a mess. So I end up wetting my hair and reapplying a little of the product to reactivate the curl. Does this mean that if I make curls my staple style using those types of products, I will need to be prepared to have a semi damp head every morning when I leave the house?

By the way I think I like the Marc Anthony Curl product better than Kinky Curly.

kimc
kimc

http://imakinkygurl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Maintain your curly look? Empty Re: Maintain your curly look?

Post by Emartini04 22nd October 2010, 10:24 am

I was having that problem for a long time myself. Now I re wet my hair at night with a water bottle (don't need to be dripping wet), twist my hair then spray my hair with coconut oil and sleep with a satin bonnet. In the morning I spritz a little more coconut oil on my hair because my hair usually soaks it right up when its wet - then un ravel my twist.

Most women use vegetable glycerin, water, conditioner, and maybe some oil. You really have to try a few things out for your hair. Its true when they say going natural is a trial and error. The above solution does not work for me but water and oil (even just a light spritz in the daytime to refresh my curls) work for me.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 22nd October 2010, 11:01 am

Do you have a hood dryer you can sit under to help your hair dry more in the evening? Also, in the morning have you tried just adding some oil or butter and scrunching and shaping your hair instead of adding more water?

I don't usually try to get my WNGs to last, but this week I managed to go all week by tying my hair in a scarf, pulling it into a high puff (can't get a real pineapple yet) and in the morning just fluffing and shaping and my curls have remained relatively frizz free and still defined.

I used Aussie Moist conditioner as my leave-in on Sunday and raked through a tiny bit of Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel. I wore it out Sunday and have pulled it back each evening and it's worked great.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 22nd October 2010, 11:27 am

My hair is extremely curly and I have found if I used oil or some sorry of hair milk in the morning plus the steam from the shower..I don't have to wet it. Now when I do wet it, I use a fine mist and I do that as soon as I get up...within the hour it's 85% dry. Twisting or pulling up in a puff is also a good suggestion from the ladies. I HTH!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by kimc 22nd October 2010, 11:34 am

Where can I purchase coconut oil for my hair? How will I know it is for hair?
Whole foods maybe?

Also, how does this work, if I keep my curls for the week. Do I still need to moisturize and seal everynight?

Thank you
kimc
kimc

http://imakinkygurl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 22nd October 2010, 11:52 am

I used just a little of Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme each night, only because it's all I had besides oil and conditioners. But I think I could have used my Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Humidity Smoothing Milk and gotten the same results. I stayed away from water because my hair didn't feel dry at all and I felt the water might produce frizz. My hair is still soft today and defined. I have never gone an entire week with the same style since I've been natural. I am very pleased.

*I did use a bit of oil for shine in the morning, but not a lot, and I wasn't using it as a sealant, per se.

ETA: No clue about the coconut oil.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by LCnewjourney 22nd October 2010, 12:03 pm

Yes, you can purchase coconut oil from Whole Foods--extra virgin coconut oil. It will be in the same section that the vitamins/hair products/skin products are in at Whole Foods. It's not going to say it's "for hair" specifically, but that part doesn't really matter. People use coconut oil for all kinds of things--my hair hates it, so I mix it with my lotion for some SMOOTH skin! HTH

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down