CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Question about Bunning

5 posters

Go down

A Question about Bunning Empty A Question about Bunning

Post by lillie 17th October 2010, 6:52 pm

I am in my fourth month of transition and, for the most part, I have been wearing a twist out as part of my transitional style. I want to start wearing my hair in a bun for a protective style. I am just wondering if I should bun it while wet or while dry. I also want to know, if I am supposed to sleep in the bun or take it down. confused
lillie
lillie

Back to top Go down

A Question about Bunning Empty Re: A Question about Bunning

Post by naturallychelsea 17th October 2010, 8:25 pm

Well I lost ALOT of hair bunning wet and because I couldn't comb it out properly it never looked quite right. I prefer to do it whilst my hair is damp and leave my ends out to dry completely to thicken up. Hope this helped and happy four months.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lillie 17th October 2010, 9:30 pm

That helped a lot! Thanks!
lillie
lillie

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 18th October 2010, 10:49 am

I bun my hair all the time. I only do it while my hair is wet or at least damp. If it's dry it takes more work.

I think the key is not making it too tight. When the hair is wet it's easier to pull it back tighter, which isn't good. I still do mine loose, but find my hair is easier to work with when wet. The brown ecostyler works best for me. I always apply a thick leave in underneath. I also add oil (jojoba) for moisture.

At night I loosen or take the twistie completely out & put on a scarf. In the morning I spritz w/water & bun again... then set my hair w/a scarf while I get ready. I try not to add even more gel & typically wash it out & start over every 3 to 4 dys.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lysheba89 18th October 2010, 11:13 am

I don't do tight buns at all, I don't even slick down my edges, because I'm concerned with the tension that causes, plus it looks better when I section off hair in the front and roll it and pin it into a little puff/poof in the front. It looks very 40s! So for that look, I need it to be dry. Plus, I use one of those bun doughnut ponytail holders. I pull my hair through the hole and swirl my hair around it and put an elastic band over it to secure the hair to the doughnut. Then I tuck the ends into the doughnut thing( I wish I knew the right word, definitely don't like saying "thing" lol). When my hair is dry, the bun is poofier and therefore larger-much larger. However, when it's a little damp the hair is more pliable, and less prone to breaking, so I bun at various degrees of dryness and dampness.
Lysheba89
Lysheba89

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 18th October 2010, 1:11 pm

I do the same as the ladies I bun on damp hair.. Right now I keep trimming my ends so If I keep cutting I won't be able to do a bun anymore..

I take the bun down a night.. Lightly spritz my hair with water and slick my hair (esp edges) with aloe vera gel or eco styler gel and tie my hair down with a scarf.. In the morning if it doesn't need anymore spritzing or gel I am good to go.. I just smooth back with my hand and if I must brush a little to smooth it back I always spritz with water and then I bun and I am out the door..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by lillie 18th October 2010, 6:58 pm

Last night, I bunned my hair while damp. It looks good now, but it was a heck of a process! My hair is so thick in the middle that I barely got it in a ponytail! I am afraid to try it with my hair wet because I think that it would put too much stress on my hair. I need to do something to give my hair a break...
lillie
lillie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down