CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mystery of the impossible twists solved

4 posters

Go down

Mystery of the impossible twists solved Empty Mystery of the impossible twists solved

Post by Free2Be 14th October 2010, 8:03 pm

Okay, so for at least 6 mos., if not longer, I've been trying to complete a decent (just decent, not fantastic) twistout or braidout with no luck. Last night I really took my time after cowashing to make semi-precise parts and make sure to twist my hair in directions that would follow the way my hair naturally falls and/or is cut (well, growing out from the BC). I used Aussie Moist conditioner as my leave-in and tiny, tiny fingertip-sized portions of MJ Curly Pudding. I sealed with grapeseed oil and all in all, they looked decent...twisted. The big test would be the unraveling of the twists.

So, I did that this afternoon and I FINALLY know for sure what the problem is. The twists themselves were shiny, defined and once I fluffed them out, massaged the roots, etc. I got nice, fluffy, non-snakey twists. BUT...my hair has not been trimmed since my BC, which a barber did quickly on top of a rather funky (in a good way) razor cut done at Ulta. So imagine the discrepancy of length on the various sides of my head...THAT is the culprit.

Every section was a different length. Long enough to make almost 5 inch or longer twists all over, but viewed together it's just a heckuva mess. I have bangs (which I didn't realize I'd have) that are hanging at one length and the left side is longer than the right and in the back the left side, again is slightly longer than the right and in the center and around the crown a whole other length. Shocked

Now, I suppose I need to decide where to go to get my hair evened up and whether to ask them to do it wet/curly or straight. Finding a natural hair salon in my city is not going to work and I do trust Ulta to cut it if I am firm about them not using a razor and cutting it straight.

WWYD? Sorry if this seems overly dramatic, but seriously, the twists/twistout is the one hairstyle I've really wanted to perfect and now I know why it just wasn't happening. I've been able to hide (unwittingly) all those differing lengths with my WNGs, but I can't hide it forever. A cut is in order. Sad
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Mystery of the impossible twists solved Empty Re: Mystery of the impossible twists solved

Post by Lynnieluve 14th October 2010, 8:10 pm

I think the best way to get your hair cut (especially if you know the person is not use to cutting curly hair) is to have it cut straight. I would straighten it myself to make sure there wont be any heat damage.

That's what I would do.

I'm glad you've solved the mystery and hopefully once you get your hair cut, you will have your dream twist/twistout!!! drunken
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Mystery of the impossible twists solved Empty Re: Mystery of the impossible twists solved

Post by raina 14th October 2010, 9:13 pm

Yay!!! I am glad you figured it out! I totally agree with LYNNIE straighten your hair yourself because I have been reading alot of post and alot of people are experiencing heat damage.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by gmAKA1709 15th October 2010, 12:28 am

Definitely get it cut straight but DEFINITELY straighten it yourself. This summer I decided to get my hair straightened and spent much time searching for a hair salon that could deal with my natural hair. Can we say epic fail. I ended up letting my old hair stylist do it and ended up with random straight pieces all over my head... My hair is still trying to recover from the aftermath.

P.S. I'm actually from Decatur! Smile Go 256!!
gmAKA1709
gmAKA1709

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down