CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Figuring out the Twist Out!

+35
Koily_K-Lo
marbar1908
coilylove
envizionj
KreyolKatt
curlyq145
Lynnieluve
countrychickd
ChrsLvsBks
Natural Wheezes
cinnamoncurlz
cutephantasm
CocoEuro
d.denise
Pat
lilindian
rebelrocks
divadr175
sweetdrk1
FAMUdani
Tam
krenea
tiashaunteé
AfrikanLatina
NaturalNixon
veggiegirl314
*CurlyNikki*
BlondeByDesire
xtremelyperfect
ActionActress
dajewel
MahoganyCurls
Serenity23
NowIAmNappy
hadiya
39 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Figuring out the Twist Out! Empty Figuring out the Twist Out!

Post by hadiya 23rd October 2009, 4:32 pm

I for the life of me have not been able to get Slap Yo' Momma GREAT twist out results. Has anyone else had this problem/issue on 4a/b hair? If so can you lend a sista some solid advice.

love+light
hadiya
hadiya
hadiya

http://sightundefined.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Figuring out the Twist Out! Empty Re: Figuring out the Twist Out!

Post by NowIAmNappy 23rd October 2009, 4:54 pm

I havent had a problem getting a twistout but I can give you some advice! Trying doing twists on damp hair with your choice of leave in and light gel ( I prefer aloe vera gel). The smaller you do the sections the tighter the curl on the twistout. I prefer to do smaller twists because I intend to leave them in for at least a week. Remember, the longer you leave your twists in the more defined your twistout will be. Also if I want a twistout on dry hair I just lightly mist my hair with a leave in and slightly finger comb a about a 2inch section add a little bit of gel and leave them in for the night and in the morning I'm able to rock a curly fro. HTH
NowIAmNappy
NowIAmNappy

Back to top Go down

Post by hadiya 23rd October 2009, 5:23 pm

I have yet to purchase Aloe Vera Gel, I keep putting it down and changing my mind. SMH!
I will try that out next time around and post my results. Bad or Good lol!

NowIAmNappy wrote:I havent had a problem getting a twistout but I can give you some advice! Trying doing twists on damp hair with your choice of leave in and light gel ( I prefer aloe vera gel). The smaller you do the sections the tighter the curl on the twistout. I prefer to do smaller twists because I intend to leave them in for at least a week. Remember, the longer you leave your twists in the more defined your twistout will be. Also if I want a twistout on dry hair I just lightly mist my hair with a leave in and slightly finger comb a about a 2inch section add a little bit of gel and leave them in for the night and in the morning I'm able to rock a curly fro. HTH
hadiya
hadiya

Back to top Go down

Figuring out the Twist Out! Empty Twist Outs

Post by Serenity23 23rd October 2009, 6:17 pm

I don't have a problem twisting my own hair, but I have some friends who have asked for youtube videos on twist outs. Does any one know of any really good two strand twist youtube tutorials?
Serenity23
Serenity23

http://public.fotki.com/Serenity23/  http://www.curlynikki.forum

Back to top Go down

Post by hadiya 23rd October 2009, 6:27 pm

You can try: Curlychronicles
[url]www.youtube.com/user/curlychronicles [/url]

I think the problem with me is that I like big hair and I am more of a curly fro or curly anything kinda gal. But I do want to manage to do a quick twist out from time to time. I should try doing way bigger ones perhaps they would give me a better look.

Serenity23 wrote:I don't have a problem twisting my own hair, but I have some friends who have asked for youtube videos on twist outs. Does any one know of any really good two strand twist youtube tutorials?
hadiya
hadiya

Back to top Go down

Figuring out the Twist Out! Empty TWA Twists???

Post by MahoganyCurls 23rd October 2009, 7:21 pm

Hi guys!

Does anyone know the trick to TWA two strand twists? I have the hardest time with them! Sad
Then, when I take them down, I look as if I stuck my finger in the electrical socket! Lol!!!
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 23rd October 2009, 9:12 pm

hadiya wrote:I have yet to purchase Aloe Vera Gel, I keep putting it down and changing my mind. SMH!
I will try that out next time around and post my results. Bad or Good lol!

NowIAmNappy wrote:I havent had a problem getting a twistout but I can give you some advice! Trying doing twists on damp hair with your choice of leave in and light gel ( I prefer aloe vera gel). The smaller you do the sections the tighter the curl on the twistout. I prefer to do smaller twists because I intend to leave them in for at least a week. Remember, the longer you leave your twists in the more defined your twistout will be. Also if I want a twistout on dry hair I just lightly mist my hair with a leave in and slightly finger comb a about a 2inch section add a little bit of gel and leave them in for the night and in the morning I'm able to rock a curly fro. HTH

aloe is amazing when i do my two-strand twist outs!!! i haven't used the aloe in the bottle; i have been using the aloe gel straight from the plant. i love it!!! i think i am going to try Aubrey's aloe in the bottle.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by hadiya 23rd October 2009, 9:18 pm

dajewel wrote:

aloe is amazing when i do my two-strand twist outs!!! i haven't used the aloe in the bottle; i have been using the aloe gel straight from the plant. i love it!!! i think i am going to try Aubrey's aloe in the bottle.

I always hear good things about it for the hai. I grew up drinking aloe juice and using it or scars/blemishes, quick mask but never have I used it on my hair. Must give it ago.

Would you ladies say it helps control the frizz factor a bit? Since it's a bit sticky/gel like....
hadiya
hadiya

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 23rd October 2009, 9:24 pm

i also like using the aloe because it helps with my scalp irritations. Hooray for Mother Nature!!! lol!!!

i would say it helps in the frizz factor. I have to mix it with 100% unrefined shea butter to do my twists, and i love it. It also helps to seal the twists to even decrease the frizzyness.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by hadiya 23rd October 2009, 9:26 pm

MahoganyCurls wrote:Hi guys!

Does anyone know the trick to TWA two strand twists? I have the hardest time with them! Sad
Then, when I take them down, I look as if I stuck my finger in the electrical socket! Lol!!!

That is a really good question that I wish I could answer... Have you looked on youtube? It is filled with a lot of women who are going through your current issue. I know I have seen some where they band their hair to stretch it before they actually twist it. Thus making it easier to manage it better.

All though my hair is a bit longer then yours. I have the same issue when it comes to doing my twist. I haven't done a twist out since I cut a lot of my hair off recently so I might REALLY be in your position. If I come across anything I drop you a link.
hadiya
hadiya

Back to top Go down

Post by ActionActress 24th October 2009, 2:22 am

Here is what I use to twist my hair.

After a good wash I keep my hair in 5-6 sections. Then I do one at a time, moisturize with Giovanni leave-in(a tiny dot of veg. glycerine), apply coconut oil or some times shea butter. I never use gel. My hair is soft, touchable and it moves.

ActionActress

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 24th October 2009, 3:24 pm

I too stopped attempting to do two strand twists on my twa, Harriet, but I will try again when she gets longer. There's an awesome blog about two strand twists on natural hair here: http://newlynatural.com/blog/?p=2396. Like I said maybe someday my twist outs will look cute but not with my 2.5 inches of hair hehe. Laughing
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 25th October 2009, 10:17 am

I too am trying to profect the two strand twist. I'm transitioning and thus far I have 99% of time bun my hair. I'm looking for a holding product to use in addition to my leave-in. I have shea butter but have shyed away from that thinking it's too thick and will leave my hair feeling coated and weighed down. I only use it on my ends. Those of you who use shea butter - are you saying you use it on the length of the twist - and your hair still comes out soft? Also my hair takes a really long time to dry at least two full days. So at some point I have to resort of going under the dryer for the twists - I would love for them to dry naturally. Also what can I use for shine?
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 25th October 2009, 10:50 am

Remember to twist STRAIGHT DOWN, and not out...and keep your fingers as close to your roots as possible when you start the twist. this is essential for defined roots!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 25th October 2009, 11:44 am

BlondeByDesire wrote:I too am trying to profect the two strand twist. I'm transitioning and thus far I have 99% of time bun my hair. I'm looking for a holding product to use in addition to my leave-in. I have shea butter but have shyed away from that thinking it's too thick and will leave my hair feeling coated and weighed down. I only use it on my ends. Those of you who use shea butter - are you saying you use it on the length of the twist - and your hair still comes out soft? Also my hair takes a really long time to dry at least two full days. So at some point I have to resort of going under the dryer for the twists - I would love for them to dry naturally. Also what can I use for shine?

i use the shea butter on the length of the twist along with the aloe. I noticed that the aloe gel and shea butter mixture dries in an hour or two.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 25th October 2009, 11:51 am

*CurlyNikki* wrote:Remember to twist STRAIGHT DOWN, and not out...and keep your fingers as close to your roots as possible when you start the twist. this is essential for defined roots!

to add, i have found using pins at the root after twisting helps in defining the roots.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 25th October 2009, 12:02 pm

What types of pins do you use? I use duckbill clips, but I'm always open for tying new things Smile
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 25th October 2009, 6:05 pm

Serenity23 wrote:I don't have a problem twisting my own hair, but I have some friends who have asked for youtube videos on twist outs. Does any one know of any really good two strand twist youtube tutorials?

Look up RusticBeauty on youtube. She has THE BEST two strand twist/twist-out video. And her twists (and twist outs) are FABULOUS! Her hair is gorgeous.
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

http://www.twitter.com/veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Figuring out the Twist Out! Empty TWA two strand twist

Post by NaturalNixon 25th October 2009, 8:12 pm

MahoganyCurls wrote:Hi guys!

Does anyone know the trick to TWA two strand twists? I have the hardest time with them! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hello MahoganyCurls. I did my first two strand twist on my TWA last night. I did medium size twist on my damp hair. I sprayed my hair with water and added some Giovanni leave in conditioner(just a small amount). For the twist I use coconut oil and sealed them with shea butter. I slept in my bonnet. When taking them out I rubbed coconut oil in my hands as I took out each twist. I LOVE the results. I think this will be my staple style for the winter.
NaturalNixon
NaturalNixon

Back to top Go down

Post by ActionActress 25th October 2009, 8:31 pm

Two strand twists are my style summer or winter. But in the winter (winterization of hair) I load up on the shea butter. LOL. Sort of like loading up chap stick on the lips. It is good ladies to wear a nice color satin scarf of the head (a stylish one) for the winter. Sort of Jade on America's Next Top Model back in the day. This will keep the harsh wind off of the hair.

ActionActress

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 25th October 2009, 9:45 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:Remember to twist STRAIGHT DOWN, and not out...and keep your fingers as close to your roots as possible when you start the twist. this is essential for defined roots!

I think this might be just what the Dr. ordered! I'm going to try it with my next twists.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 25th October 2009, 11:06 pm

For a defined twist out I like to use a mixture with conditioner/honey/olive oil.
You can really tell a difference.
Mixture:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
No Mixture:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 25th October 2009, 11:32 pm

tiashauntee --

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! Looks great both ways if you ask me Smile
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

http://www.twitter.com/veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 25th October 2009, 11:34 pm

veggiegirl314 wrote:tiashauntee --

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! Looks great both ways if you ask me Smile

Thank You!!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by krenea 26th October 2009, 1:24 am

Serenity! I LOVE your hair! If I saw you "on the street", I'd stop you for sure! You're twists are so beautiful! Did you twist dry or wet? How do you get them to look so defined? My hair isn't nearly long enough yet, but I want my hair to look like that when it is your length!
krenea
krenea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next