CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is heat protectant really heat protecting?

3 posters

Go down

Is heat protectant really heat protecting? Empty Is heat protectant really heat protecting?

Post by Shaynatural 13th October 2010, 6:10 pm

I've been wondering if anyone has ever questioned heat protectant sprays. What exactly in a heat protectant will save your hair from heat damage? I may post this question to the Natural Haven for a more scientific explanation. The reason I'm pondering this issue is because I plan to straighten my hair around Xmas and I want to make sure that I minimize any heat damage. I've heard some bloggers say that they incurred heat damage despite frequent usage of heat protectants. What do you ladies think?
Shaynatural
Shaynatural

Back to top Go down

Is heat protectant really heat protecting? Empty Re: Is heat protectant really heat protecting?

Post by Treece 13th October 2010, 6:40 pm

This was already asked over at Natural Haven lol, as I googled to find a little bit more information. Heat protectants work, but where the damage may come in is using heat too often, or using too high of a heat. They just protect, not prevent damage, they're not miracle workers and won't completely stop damage if you insist on flat ironing every day.

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/12/thermal-protection-do-they-really-work.html
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Is heat protectant really heat protecting? Empty Re: Is heat protectant really heat protecting?

Post by FalconTress 29th October 2010, 11:08 pm

I have not used heat in almost 4 months(I used Jane Carter Solution Natural Hold Spray Gel) because of the damage that occurs(the link to naturalhaven's description of the stages of heat damage is at the bottom of my comment). I can't get the image of the "This Your Brain/This is Your Brain On Drugs" commercial that shows the egg in the frying pan :-(

"Heat proctectants" may mitigate some of the damage to hair by reducing friction (helping move the iron down your hair shaft faster) which in turn reduces the time that the iron is in contact with the hair.
I have not found a product that can actually keep the temperature of hair from rising when contact is made with the iron.

Here's what Curly Nikki says in the FAQ section:

Is there a safe way to flat iron?
One hundred percent protection from heat damage with protectant products simply doesn't exist. Period. Many flat and curling irons can reach excesses of 350 degrees Fahrenheit. There is no way to prevent that kind of heat from causing some form of damage to your hair. Paula Begoun said it best, "Could you imagine protecting skin from that kind of heat with a hair-care product?" Right...it's not gonna happen.
So, please my curly divas, heat style with caution- definitely utilize a heat protectant, but know that you're not completely protected. Also, use the coolest temperature possible to achieve results, and don't pass the iron through each section of your hair more than once. And the most important tip- save heat styling for special occasions, it shouldn't be your go-to hairstyle on regular days. Take it from a past abuser...heat is nothing to play with.

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/05/straightening-factshow-hot-is-too-hot.html

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down