CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Color

+5
jlowman1
newcurlieque
Treece
PaganWifey
MrsLambsWool
9 posters

Go down

Hair Color Empty Hair Color

Post by MrsLambsWool 12th October 2010, 11:33 am

Hi Ladies,

I am very seriously considering coloring my hair. I have some concerns because when I colored back in my relaxed days, my hair dried out and looked dull. Albeit I used boxed coloring and this time plan to have it professionally done. But my question is, for those of you who have colored your hair or are professional stylist can you give me any advice, good, bad, or indifferent?! Thanks
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Hair Color Empty Re: Hair Color

Post by PaganWifey 12th October 2010, 12:41 pm

Coloring your hair when it's natural is a totally different experience. A GOOD experience. I had a horrible time dying my hair when I was relaxed but natural I've been light brown, auburn, and purple.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 12th October 2010, 4:58 pm

My stylist told me that color on natural hair is different because it's not chemical on chemical. Natural hair is stronger. But I'm still scared like you. Before I cut it, I was all for it, now I'm ehhh about it. If I get it colored it would be a Honey Blonde (it turns up golden brown), and I believe that required a high pH and bleaching. Sooo I'm scared lol.

I will be watching this thread to see if other naturals comment! Very Happy
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 12th October 2010, 5:32 pm

MrsLambsWool wrote:Hi Ladies,

I am very seriously considering coloring my hair. I have some concerns because when I colored back in my relaxed days, my hair dried out and looked dull. Albeit I used boxed coloring and this time plan to have it professionally done. But my question is, for those of you who have colored your hair or are professional stylist can you give me any advice, good, bad, or indifferent?! Thanks

I colored my hair myself, I used a Dark N Lovely kit cause I was just being cheap lol! I have had no problems with damage (dryness, breakage etc). I keep my hair moisturized and I deep condish once a week.
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 12th October 2010, 5:57 pm

newcurlieque wrote:
MrsLambsWool wrote:Hi Ladies,

I colored my hair myself, I used a Dark N Lovely kit cause I was just being cheap lol! I have had no problems with damage (dryness, breakage etc). I keep my hair moisturized and I deep condish once a week.

I just did the same about 3 weeks ago using Dark N Lovely's Golden Blonde. I used Dark N Lovely when I was relaxed too and my hair was never damaged or broken off. This time around since Im natural now, I had to leave the color on a lot longer but it still came out great. I also DC once a week using a heat therapy wrap and use a heavy moisturizer to keep my hair from becoming dry.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 12th October 2010, 8:01 pm

I purchased a box of color some weeks ago because I'm so gray around my temples it's ridiculous, but I haven't had the nerve to do it. pale I have never colored my hair in life, only done Jazzing rinses so I have no idea how my hair will react to color. I've been planning to go to a professional at a natural hair salon, but I'd love to save my money and gas. Very Happy We'll see.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 12th October 2010, 8:08 pm

It's totally doable.

Get better gloves than what they put in the box though you have better control and dexterity.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 12th October 2010, 11:48 pm

I've been coloring forever and a week with no issues...I get mine professionally done and am very anal with my hair care routine.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 13th October 2010, 10:24 am

Renny wrote:I purchased a box of color some weeks ago because I'm so gray around my temples it's ridiculous, but I haven't had the nerve to do it. pale I have never colored my hair in life, only done Jazzing rinses so I have no idea how my hair will react to color. I've been planning to go to a professional at a natural hair salon, but I'd love to save my money and gas. Very Happy We'll see.

U can always do a strand test with some of your shedded hairs to see what will happen.
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 13th October 2010, 12:58 pm

Thanks ladies for all the feedback! I think I'm a little scared because I've finally grown a head full of chemical free, healthy hair and I don't want to damage it and have to start all over.

Newcurlique, I love your color!
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by cutiezphib 13th October 2010, 1:27 pm

I had my hair colored the same day as my bc!!! And I just colored myself last night. I feel move comfortable coloring now then I did when I relaxed!!! Its one of those things you will have to let go of in your head. Also, if you take great care of your before and after I don't see where there is any harm being done!
cutiezphib
cutiezphib

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 13th October 2010, 1:40 pm

natural hair is definitely stronger than doing chemical on chemical, ive heard some say that coloring on natural hair can change the curl pattern, but I have some natural friends who color all the time and have no residual effects. I say research the color and try it out Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down