CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help!! Dry wiry new growth...and shedding

5 posters

Go down

Help!! Dry wiry new growth...and shedding Empty Help!! Dry wiry new growth...and shedding

Post by Labrat 6th October 2010, 11:53 pm

Hey ladies,

I have been transitioning for 3 months and I have done my research and tried many products. My problem is that my hair is nice and moisturized the day of wash/conditioning, but the day my hair (new growth) reverts back to being like wire and sounding like hay...not good. I put moisturizer (afroveda amla cream, shea cantu) in it nightly and that helps some, but it seems like I would have to dip my hair in an entire vat of shea butter to retain moisture for any longer amount of time.

My second problem is that hair seems to be shedding more than usual. Every time I touch my hair it seems that I come away with many many hairs. I have done protein treatments and reconstructors as well as moisturizers, but the shedding continues. I am so tempter to just BC and start from scratch.

Is there anyone who an help me or offer advice? I am really scared that when I finally BC, I will have perpetually dry, sheddy and hard hair. And this is not what I am aiming for, LOL!

Labrat

Back to top Go down

Help!! Dry wiry new growth...and shedding Empty Re: Help!! Dry wiry new growth...and shedding

Post by NaturalMahogany 7th October 2010, 12:21 am

I am in the same boat. I hope that someone can help me with this problem. I am currently using the same products, but everytime I touch my hair, it seems like I am loosing more hair than its growing.

NaturalMahogany

http://naturalmahogany.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Help!! Dry wiry new growth...and shedding Empty Re: Help!! Dry wiry new growth...and shedding

Post by Treece 7th October 2010, 6:47 pm

Labrat, your hair is going to shed for awhile. I don't the exact cause but whenever you hold off on getting a touch up the hair sheds. Don't be alarmed. It would take a ton of hair to fall out before anyone but you notices. I know that doesn't sounds encouraging, but just continue to love your hair and it will be fine.

I'm not sure how to solve your wiry hair though. Maybe a thicker product will help? I would continue shopping, and looking at reviews online and on youtube to see how the product looks. But I guess cantu is pretty thick? Maybe even if you purchased a spray bottle and made your own concoction of water and a sealant, or whatever you'd like to moisturize your hair with to have something at your side to moisturize your hair with in case of "emergencies".

Well, I hope some other ladies have a better idea of what to do.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Help!! Dry wiry new growth...and shedding Empty Too much Protein??

Post by Umph 7th October 2010, 7:15 pm

Labrat wrote:Hey ladies,

I have been transitioning for 3 months and I have done my research and tried many products. My problem is that my hair is nice and moisturized the day of wash/conditioning, but the day my hair (new growth) reverts back to being like wire and sounding like hay...not good. I put moisturizer (afroveda amla cream, shea cantu) in it nightly and that helps some, but it seems like I would have to dip my hair in an entire vat of shea butter to retain moisture for any longer amount of time.

My second problem is that hair seems to be shedding more than usual. Every time I touch my hair it seems that I come away with many many hairs. I have done protein treatments and reconstructors as well as moisturizers, but the shedding continues. I am so tempter to just BC and start from scratch.

Is there anyone who an help me or offer advice? I am really scared that when I finally BC, I will have perpetually dry, sheddy and hard hair. And this is not what I am aiming for, LOL!

Are you using any oils? Cantu can be drying for some, I use along with coconut oil and my hair is very soft- all day! I don't know much about afroved products, but Cantu has vegetable protein in it. Too much protein can make your hair wiry. Using those products nightly could be the problem.

My regimen is: Wash/Condition (once a week), when hair is partially damp (not dripping wet) I seal my hair with extra virgin coconut oil; making sure to moisturize my scalp in the process. I then do two strand twist allover using the Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner (I have NO curl pattern- I have to do the twist to see curls) I'm still in the TWA stage and don't have much hair so I only use 2-3 tbsp to do my entire head and I measure this prior to doing twist. In the morning I undo twist; spray my hair with aloe mix and finger comb my fro... I get great definition. Each night I use EVCO on my hair to do twists; I don't use anymore Cantu until wash day. HTH
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Labrat 7th October 2010, 8:01 pm

Thanks for the note about the cantu conditioner. I typically only use that product once per week, but I try to use another leave in for a week or two to see if that helps. Perhaps I could use giovanni direct leave in. In terms of oil, I use jojoba as my oil choice.

Thanks for the advice!

Labrat

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 13th October 2010, 10:46 am

Well when you first start to transtion, your hair is going to feel liek that because you have to remember that you ahvebeen gettign perms for a while. Its actually called scab hair. Think of it like a cut you get... First its open and raw, then a scab forms over it, and then after the scab falls off new skin will start to grow and before you know it you dont even remember where the scar is hair.. Thats how our hair is...Its got to start growing past the length it is used to growing. After it starts to grow and with TLC it should start to change.

Love Love love Giovanni's Direct Leave in and am just now revisiting Cantu Shea Butter, but am loving it I must say...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down