CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wiry Strands?

4 posters

Go down

Wiry Strands? Empty Wiry Strands?

Post by moosegrl_86 31st December 2010, 4:56 am

For last few weeks some of my hair strands feel wiry and brittle. I cut a few to examine them and they look damaged. The ends curl but they're jagged and if I tug at them they break easily, while the rest of my hair doesn't.Suspect Do you gals have any idea of what could be causing this?Shocked If it helps I recently switched to cg last week (I started using the curls line), but I was having this issue before then as well. (I was using Hello Hydration as a conditioner, Patene R&N shampoo and Hawaiian silky 14 in 1 as a moisturizer previously). They look like the crinkled strand and few like the tapered(very few though). I have a few knots as well, but I plan on trimming soon.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] confused

Last edited by moosegrl_86 on 31st December 2010, 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added what I used before)
moosegrl_86
moosegrl_86

Back to top Go down

Wiry Strands? Empty Re: Wiry Strands?

Post by krissyc39 31st December 2010, 6:34 am

Have you tried to search and destroy? I find that it takes more time but it can save you precious length if it's done right. It also gives you the chance to really analyze your hair and (in the future) catch splits and knots before they get worse.

Having said that there could be a number of things that caused damage
- excessive heat
- excessive wash and gos (prone to single strand knots)
- not enough moisture
- no sealant for hair ends
- over manipulation
- not enough product
- too much products
- improper detangling techniques
- products with drying/damaging ingredients

I haven't used any of those products before but I'm almost certain the Pantene shampoo has sulfates in it. If I does I'd advise you to stop using it because sulfates are entirely too harsh for our fragile curls.

To prevent future splits I'd recommend you moisturize and deep condition your hair more often along with protective styling Smile

HTH!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 31st December 2010, 3:38 pm

If any of the prducts you use have proteins that could be a problem. Whenever I use proteins my hair feels nasty cnat remeber if it was brittle or not but it just wasnt right. So I came to the conclusion that I am protein sensitive and just stay away from them. If your products dont have proteins maybe you need to add a protein treatment (ie. Aphogee, hair Mayo etc) to your regie.
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by moosegrl_86 31st December 2010, 5:13 pm

As far as I can tell most Of what I use now doesn't have proteins. Do you know of a good deep treatment? Also it's definitely not heat damage (no heat for eight months) and I never have tried wash and goes ( it's too cold for that now). I've been looking at the shea moisture mask. Is it any good?

Last edited by moosegrl_86 on 31st December 2010, 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : iPhone Keyboard)
moosegrl_86
moosegrl_86

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 31st December 2010, 6:19 pm

When I was having trouble deciphering if I needed protein or moisture I used this article.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 31st December 2010, 6:40 pm

it could be that you need a good protein treatment , or a deep conditioning treatment do the strand test to see if you need protein or moisture after reading the article above just google strand test for moisture protein balance for details :
)
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by moosegrl_86 31st December 2010, 10:25 pm

I tried the strand test and my hair sunk and broke way too easily. Crying or Very sad I'm a bit confused because one site said if the strand breaks too easily you have too much protein and another said that there is not enough moisture. The spots of my hair that aren't like this feel fairly moisturized. Maybe I need to use water and oil? I'm so confused, lol. confused
moosegrl_86
moosegrl_86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down