CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Natural and Organic Products work for you

+8
maralyn45
Naturally Esq
FalconTress
Free2Be
Ms.Fenty
tiashaunteé
ChrsLvsBks
sjoyreed
12 posters

Go down

Do Natural and Organic Products work for you Empty Do Natural and Organic Products work for you

Post by sjoyreed 6th October 2010, 12:55 pm

Hate to be a negative Nancy today, but it seems like I have to use a tremendous amount of natural and organic products to get any type of decent results on my hair... Granted I have a lot of hair, but even still I may get a couple days of wear or sheen or texture or whatever I'm going for when using said products (Giovannis -I hate, Shea Butter, olive oil, etc...) I even bought some Kinky Curly and was so not impressed - WHOMP WHOMP Mad .

Could I be doing something wrong, cause my hair seems to respond lovingly to some CURL ACTIVATOR! Not gylcerine and water (that flakes), but some straight up Jheri Curl juice - full of 'cones and who knows what else kinds of poison.

Oh well, I'm at my wits end, cause today I look like Fredrick Douglass about the head. I'm not brave enough for a low fade (plus it's getting cold) and my schedule does not allow for me to sit for hours on end for braids. Besides that, that's styling issues, and my issue is product results.

I think it's strange that I've been natural almost 3 years, and my hair only responds to things like peroleum, and dimeticone and FD&C #3012?!?!?

Ladies, let me know if you have/had the same issue and what you've done to overcome.

Thanks in Advance :-)
sjoyreed
sjoyreed

Back to top Go down

Do Natural and Organic Products work for you Empty Re: Do Natural and Organic Products work for you

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th October 2010, 1:46 pm

I have not had the problem. I would like to know when the last time you clarified. You may have build up.

I am of the thought you should use what your hair responds to best. As long as your hair is healthy, you should be fine. I simply prefer to use ingredients that are more natural.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Do Natural and Organic Products work for you Empty Re: Do Natural and Organic Products work for you

Post by tiashaunteé 6th October 2010, 1:52 pm

It took a long time for my hair to respond to natural products. That was when I discovered my month long rule - which I changed to "when the product is gone."

I can't use a product once and get a true feel for it. I went on a hair diet for about a month (i think) and my hair surprised me. I could tell a huge difference between the way my hair responded to natural products vs non-natural products.

My hair was softer, help moisture longer, and grabbed it quicker. At this time I am only replenishing my product stash with natural and organic replacements. I am keeping one non-natural condish on hand just in case (Suave Naturals Aloe Vera and Ginseng condish).
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 10th October 2010, 1:46 am

I agree with both ladies, perhaps you should try to clarify first and then use more natural products for @ least a month before you make a final decision. I think product build up is definitely real and, in my own experience, a product won't work if you have build up
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 10th October 2010, 2:36 am

I used all natural and/or organic hair products for approx. 8 months of my 1 yr. journey. I started using Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner around May or June of this year. To be honest I can't tell the difference with my hair other than the cost. The all natural and/or organic items that I was purchasing all cost a bunch compared to say, Herbal Essences.

That being said, my purchase today to replenish all of the natural/organic items I'd run out of (Jane Carter Solutions, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, Desert Essences poos and conditioners, etc.) consisted of 4 Aussie Moist products (poo, conditioner, dc, and leave-in). $20 for all and they'll last for months.

The one natural product I'm willing to stick with for now is henna. I have colored my hair since I was 18 and a hair stylist/colorist told me that I'd basically ruined my hair...that it was now extremely porous and just sucks up color. One application of Dark and Lovely Honey Blond lifted all of my natural black hair color. Just one application at home and I was blond just like that.

So to answer the question natural products didn't make a discernible difference with my hair. I believe the greatest factor in the health of my hair (not falling out, few to no split ends, and fabulous growth) is leaving heat alone. I have used the blow dryer once this past year and sat under a hooded dryer once trying to shingle my hair. Whereas previously I was using heat every day.

HTH
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 10th October 2010, 11:49 am

I've kissed some frogs along the way! Naked Naturals(not exactly) Avocado & Shea, J/A/S/O/N tea tree and Giovanni Nutrafixx are the ones did not work well for me.

I have not tried the KK Curling Custard, but I have used the Knot Today to make the kimmaytube leave-in and my hair remains moisturized for at least 3 days. The recipe aslo "stretches" the product because you only use an ounce per batch.

I have had success with Aubrey Organics for DCing, Burt's Bees Avocado Pre-Shampoo Treatment(some people also use it as a styler), Desert Essences Conditioners(Coconut/ Green Apple) and Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine.
I'm not sure what outcome you are trying to achieve, but if activator gives it to you then perhaps your hair(not your hair type) just likes what it likes. Even though I have chosen to use natural products, I cannot deny how well my hair responds to L'Oreal EverStrong masque.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 10th October 2010, 12:34 pm

Whether natural and organic products work for you is one issue however, another issue is the impact that the non natural and non organic products have on the environment when we wash them down the drain.

Yes, I use natural and organic products and they work for me.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by maralyn45 13th October 2010, 1:41 am

Organic Hair products are great and they really work well with your hair..

maralyn45

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13th October 2010, 3:51 pm

lol...wow...um i'm still experiencing w/ hair products in general since my big chop so idk wut to tell u, but hope somebody does Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th October 2010, 4:44 pm

I am finding that organic/natural products works best for MY hair.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 13th October 2010, 5:58 pm

I am finding that organic/natural products works best for MY hair.

I have discovered the same thing. Donated my pj stockpile of other products to an emergency shelter.

PS. It is always such a blessing to see "God will never put more on you than you can bear"
at the bottom of your posts.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmum 13th October 2010, 7:02 pm

We only use organic/natural products in our home for everything, and I noticed a big difference in my daughter's hair once I started using natural products on her hair. However, not all natural products are created equal, especially when it comes to hair.

I've tried a few "mainstream" brands in my daughter's hair and none worked. I have to make sure that I use a brand that is formulated for curly hair. So Kiss My Face and JASON were huge no-no's. The detanglers were laughable. Right now I use Curls and am loving what it has done for her hair.

It's the same for my straight, white person's hair, not all products are created equal. I've used some that have been absolutely horrible to my hair.

kekesmum

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th October 2010, 7:09 pm

FalconTress wrote:I am finding that organic/natural products works best for MY hair.

I have discovered the same thing. Donated my pj stockpile of other products to an emergency shelter.

PS. It is always such a blessing to see "God will never put more on you than you can bear"
at the bottom of your posts.

I live by that daily!! When you TRULY believe it, it will bless your life!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 14th October 2010, 1:46 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:Whether natural and organic products work for you is one issue however, another issue is the impact that the non natural and non organic products have on the environment when we wash them down the drain.

Yes, I use natural and organic products and they work for me.

Excuse me, but I just have to ask what your point is? She's saying they don't work for her; are you advocating that she use products that may be a complete waste of time on her hair just because of the environmental impact? I just want to be clear and not assume you're saying something you aren't.

I agree with clarifying and trying again, also with using one or two products consistently for a while to see if you get a different result, if you haven't done that already.
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 14th October 2010, 2:22 pm

sjoyreed, I'm still in TWA stage and some of the popular natural products do not work for me... maybe later when I have some length. The one product that is producing great results is Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream... no it's not ALL natural but my hair like it. It's really works well with coconut oil! I'm just going with the flow right now, whatever Ingrid (my hair) likes.
Wink
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down