CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protein sensitivity

4 posters

Go down

Protein sensitivity Empty Protein sensitivity

Post by naturallynola 30th September 2010, 11:17 am

I am evaluating whether I am protein sensitive. Had a bad experience with hay-like hair and I think SAS is the culprit. The answer to my question could possibly get technical, but here goes. If a person's hair is protein sensitive, can you desensitize it. People with allergies sometimes take shots to desensitize, so can you expose the hair to protein gradually? Also, since Henna is protein, will I get the same horrible results if I do a henna treatment?

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Protein sensitivity Empty Re: Protein sensitivity

Post by Lysheba89 30th September 2010, 12:39 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm protein sensitive but I've only had good results with Giovanni Smooth As Silk-the conditioner that is.

The shampoo, like ALL shampoos dry my hair out. I've never come across a shampoo that didn't dry my hair out, even when the shampoo is the counterpart to a wonderful conditioner. I use Aubrey's Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and it is the best, but the shampoo is still horrible. So it could just be that your hair, like mine and others, cannot afford to have oils removed. As far as desensitizing your hair to protein, I think what you can do is check how high up the protein ingredient(s) are on the list of ingredients. First try products where the protein is all the way at the bottom, then work your way up to where the protein is just after the 1st five ingredients.

Or you could isolate products that have many protein sources versus products that only have one or two. My hair can tolerate products that have only a couple of protein sources.

Also, I have hennaed back in July and it left my hair feeling normal-not overly dry, nor particularly moisturized, but got great color. I should mention that I mixed the henna with some Yes To Cucumbers conditioner and Aubrey's HSR conditioner, in addition to black tea and honey.

All of that is to say, that I'm not an expert, but those are my thoughts.
Lysheba89
Lysheba89

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Wheezes 30th September 2010, 1:37 pm

Lysheba89 wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm protein sensitive but I've only had good results with Giovanni Smooth As Silk-the conditioner that is.

The shampoo, like ALL shampoos dry my hair out. I've never come across a shampoo that didn't dry my hair out, even when the shampoo is the counterpart to a wonderful conditioner. I use Aubrey's Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and it is the best, but the shampoo is still horrible. So it could just be that your hair, like mine and others, cannot afford to have oils removed. As far as desensitizing your hair to protein, I think what you can do is check how high up the protein ingredient(s) are on the list of ingredients. First try products where the protein is all the way at the bottom, then work your way up to where the protein is just after the 1st five ingredients.

Or you could isolate products that have many protein sources versus products that only have one or two. My hair can tolerate products that have only a couple of protein sources.

Also, I have hennaed back in July and it left my hair feeling normal-not overly dry, nor particularly moisturized, but got great color. I should mention that I mixed the henna with some Yes To Cucumbers conditioner and Aubrey's HSR conditioner, in addition to black tea and honey.

All of that is to say, that I'm not an expert, but those are my thoughts.

Definitely agree with seeing where the protein is on the ingredient list. Also, it may depend on the type of protein. Some are more sensitive to vegetable protein than silk protein, and etc. You may want to test that out.

Have you tried Giovanni's Direct Leave-in? My protein-sensitive hair is content enough with the SAS but it looooves the Direct Leave-in.
Natural Wheezes
Natural Wheezes

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 30th September 2010, 9:13 pm

Ladies, thanks for the feedback. I will monitor and see what category of protein these products have. That is some good info. From now on, I will do essentially a strand test and see what happens and not expose all my hair to a potential disaster. It took alot of work to get my hair to a reasonable state thanks to Shea Moisture treatment masque and Jane Carter nourish and shine. Lysheba, I definitely would like to communicate with you more about your henna treatment and results. If it is okay, I can PM you.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Lysheba89 30th September 2010, 11:40 pm

Of course, PM away! I'm not sure how helpful I'll be but I'll try.
Lysheba89
Lysheba89

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 20th October 2010, 1:00 am

Well, no doubt about it I am positively protein sensitive. This is definitely not in my mind as some believe. I have seen several people doubting this and some even saying there is no scientific basis for this assumption( people writing about hair and beauty). All I know is for every action there is a reaction and when I did a prepoo with yogurt and egg, my hair was like a haystack. When I used SAS, my hair was rough and when I used yogurt today to confirm things (alone with no other protein), I thought I saw another haystack moment, but I hurried and rinsed it out and conditioned with AO White. Camellia (this condish is AWESOME!)

My philosophy about the protein sensitive doubters is: your hair knows!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 20th October 2010, 10:18 am

@ naturalnolagilr1900 - my hair is protein sensitive also. I am working now to correct the damage. By using protein free products and doing dc's 2x's a week one with evoo only.

Henna helps to strengthen my hair and I will continue to use it, (only once a month though). I know that curlynikki has mentioned she avoids wheat protein but loves Henna; so I think you can still use Henna. I just DC after Henna to restore moisture. HTH
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 20th October 2010, 11:22 am

Ladies, I thank all of you for your invaluable recommendations. I have actually been doing as you all suggested since my first haystack moment. I journal, so I am getting it together (slowly, but surely). Curlya, I haven't tried the henna yet because I am a research junkie and still gathering data. But, it is definitely on my things to do list for November. I bought some ayurvedic powders about 2 weeks ago and I will be incorporating them also.

Interesting read below on the topic
http://blackhairinformation.com/hair-treatments-and-recipes/protein-treatments/how-to-tell-if-your-hair-is-protein-sensitive

Has anyone heard of, used, or know someone who has used these "protein free products." I just saw this. I will begin my research journey and look at the ingredients carefully.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BellaCurl

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 20th October 2010, 12:20 pm

I am going to check it out too. Thanks!
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 20th October 2010, 1:54 pm

Curlya, If the ingredients are what they say they are, everything I perused looked great and the prices and shipping are crazy (in a good way). I think I will give the leave-in a try. Water and aloe are high on the list and she has some good slip up top too. My hair loves aloe. It is not crazy about all these shea products. This may be a good rotation for my kimmaytube leave-in. Let me know if you order something and we can compare notes. If this proves to be a great product, I will order several in case she follows Afroveda's lead (lol).

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 20th October 2010, 4:49 pm

Okay. So, I am counting on you to tell me how it works since we are both on the non-protein hair diet. Smile LOL
Come back once you have had a opportunity to try it and let me know. ( If I don't finish the products I have now I will run out of space!) No
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down