CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moisture Problem

4 posters

Go down

Moisture Problem Empty Moisture Problem

Post by onecharminglady 23rd September 2010, 10:21 pm

hi ladies i am new to curlynikki and 4 month post. i feel like i am loosing the battle with mositure. i love my new growth but it feels so dry and crunchy if that makes sense. i was wondering if any of you could share some of the moisturizing products that use that work for you. currently i am applying cantu shea butter along with natural coconut oil to my new growth down to the ends every other night. i am open to all ideas because my goal is to transition with the big chop for as long as i can.

thanks in advance ladies!!!

onecharminglady

Back to top Go down

Moisture Problem Empty Re: Moisture Problem

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd September 2010, 10:36 pm

1. What are the other products that you are using?
2. Are your shampoo and conditioner sulfate free?
3. How often do you DC? With what?
4. What type of hair do you have?
5. Here is the link to a great article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69
6. I BC'd yesterday after a one year transition. I have 4a/b fine textured hair that loves protein. I use Giovanni Products that can be bought at Whole Foods, Target, Walmart, CVS, Pharmaca, and health food stores. Once a week, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk (SAS) Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Direct Leave In as my leave in, I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam and/or Giovanni LA Natural Style Gel. I seal with Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie or EVCO or castor oil. During the week, when I need a moisture boost I use Vatika oil and Giovanni Direct Leave In.

HTH

Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by onecharminglady 23rd September 2010, 11:00 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, i just purchased the giovanni moisture poo and conditioner and i must say i was kinda disappointed, so much so i had to wash the next day with my vo5 poo and ors condtioner. I lacked off deep conditioning once a week but i will definitely get bck on that. As far as my hair type i have no idea but would appreciate help in that area also. When i wet it it crinkly, curly but when it dries its super thick and not as curly. What do u recommend using on my edges bc they are awful. Is using a brush at thos point ok. I look at transitioners and im amazed at the edges im seeing, thank you.

onecharminglady

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd September 2010, 11:40 pm

1. If you don't like Giovanni, your hair might be protein sensitive. There is some good information on this website via the search button top right corner.
2. You may need to clarify first with an ACV rinse (2 tablespoon in 8 oz water), then follow with shampoo, conditioner, sealer, styler.
3. Be sure to read the article that I sent you.,
4. Don't use a brush on dry hair.
5. If your products have sulfates in them, they might be part of your dryness problem.
6. What do you mean the edges are awful? Dry? Try Castor oil.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by onecharminglady 23rd September 2010, 11:55 pm

Ok thanks, yes i will read it. My edges are dry, nappy, they dont lay down. Thanks.

onecharminglady

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd September 2010, 11:58 pm

Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by onecharminglady 24th September 2010, 12:19 am

Ok, thanks again for all your help

onecharminglady

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 24th September 2010, 10:39 am

Try getting something sepcifically made for moisturizing the hair. I use Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream or the Amla & Olive Heavy Cream. They leave my hair mositurized for a few days before having to reapply. Shemoistures Curl Enhancing Smoothie is another good product that can be found in Target. Miss Jessie's has some good moisturizing products too such as their Baby Buttercream and Curly Buttercream.

The Cantu is good and so is the oil for sealing but usually after applying that, placing a good mositurizer on top will help. Thats what I usually do and I have no problems with moisture.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by LCnewjourney 24th September 2010, 11:13 am

I know a LOT of naturals or transitioners swear by coconut oil, but I found after some trial and error that it was part of my moisture problem. And I tried everything--I changed the amount I was using based on hearing some stuff about it making your hair feel "crunchy", I tried it in a DC, tried it with shea butter, by itself, all around, upside down, and STILL I had dry crunchy hair.

SO, I eliminated it and switched to olive oil and my hair has never felt better. Just another one of those lessons I learned about listening to what actually works for your hair.

I am transitioning long term too, and I moisturize with Kinky Curly Knot Today and a distilled water/EVOO/tea tree oil spritz. I section my hair, put some KCKT in my palm along with a few sprays of the spritz, rub it together, and then apply to each section. My hair feels AWESOME, both the new growth and the relaxed hair. I say this, but then also follow it up with the disclaimer that this may not work for you.

My edges aren't quite the best, but I've learned to just roll with it. My hair is just naturally less defined there, I guess. I have massaged that area with the spritz I have and it looks a little better. Also, when I've used the scarf method, my edges look better. I only do this if I'm wearing my hair pulled back though. Otherwise I don't bother and let it do what it do!

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Post by onecharminglady 24th September 2010, 11:20 am

Thanks ladies i will definitely take all this into consideration when shoppn for products

onecharminglady

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down