CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG SIS AT YOUR SERVICE

+10
naturally.yours
The Raw Twinkie
~*Kiana*~
MsToinette
jazzwife
KayCFlemin
sleeping beauty
belleaenca
00NaturallyBeautiful
naturallychelsea
14 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

BIG SIS AT YOUR SERVICE - Page 5 Empty Re: BIG SIS AT YOUR SERVICE

Post by belleaenca 28th December 2010, 7:49 pm

Hi Girls,

@v3tt3, NC is a fountain of info Smile, good luck!!

@NC -- I received a sign that I should wait to bc. I called the salon where I want to go for my bc and the stylist I want to see is away on maternity leave and will not return till first week of March. Which ironically coinsides with my 1yr anni post relaxer (Feb. 27th). So...I guess I am waiting to bc Wink

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 29th December 2010, 12:59 pm

I'm so happy you made your decision belle I can't wait!! You're gonna make me start biting my nails again lol.

But gurl waiting is the worst so in the meantime I suggest a hobby Very Happy

Later guys and happy hair growing
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 30th December 2010, 9:07 pm

NC, you're so right, waiting sucks! LOL
All I can think about is the day when I'm 100%. I can't stand to look at my relaxed ends anymore. sigh...at the same time i'm so scared of what I will feel once I am in fact 100% natural. double sigh. LOL

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by gerrypierre 1st January 2011, 6:34 pm

I wish i had been more computer savvy and knowledgeable when I went natural...I don't have a record like allot of people who are now online do. I've been natural for over 8 years (not sure exact number) but always rocked a natural afro.

In the past 2 years I started to learn about twists and styling and have done EVERYTHING myself from transitioning to the chopping to currently my trims every 6 weeks or so because I never got good support from a salon. Anywho, it's great to have this outlet and people to get support from. I still feel like a newbie in a sense because I don't experiment much with products...mostly because of $$$.

Just wanted to say thank you for being a big sis to people!

gerrypierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifully_Me 2nd January 2011, 9:26 pm

Hey ladies! I'm super super new here, and I've been following CurlyNikki's blog for a minute now. But I just stumbled across the forum page, and man oh man did I need this right hurr.. I made the decision to go natural back in the summer, and I was for a while until I relapsed (went back to a perm) in October. Now I'm trying it again but this time I know for sure that this is what I want to do. I don't want to do the big chop because I just don't want to cut it lol. The last time i chopped all of my hair off was February 2010, and I'm content with how much it's grown. I don't know what month I would consider myself starting my transition process..I'm guessing it would probably be November. Idk but so far I'm loving my natural/kinky/'nappy' roots. I've been experimenting with a few different styles, trying to find the one that works best for me with my straight ends and all. The only thing that I really cant stand is in fact those blasted straight ends, and I've been so tempted to just go and cut them off. But I still don't know if I'm ready for that. I'm so with Belleaenca.

Super torn...

Beautifully_Me
Beautifully_Me

http://idontgetit28.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 2nd January 2011, 10:00 pm

@gerrypiere thnk you

@beautifully_me I think you wanting to cut your hair may be as a result of your inability to style your hair. I know that my ends were particularly hard to curl. You could trying setting your ends on rods to curl them
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifully_Me 3rd January 2011, 1:53 pm

@naturallychelsea i agree..and i've been doin the braidouts and the rod roller sets but i jus get bored with it so quickly and the fact that i haven't figured out a way for them to last longer than 3 days..When did you decide to cut ur permed ends?
Beautifully_Me
Beautifully_Me

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 3rd January 2011, 11:06 pm

well i cut my hair because none of the transitioning styles that I had tried worked. My braid and twist outs sucked. They were lifeless and limp and I got tired of ponys and buns. You will know when you're ready. If you are like me it will be when you are fed up. Others cut when they are comfortable with their hair or they feel that they have amassed enough knowledge to take care of their new hair. YOU decide when you're ready!!
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifully_Me 4th January 2011, 12:28 am

Yea..i think my fed up stage will be really soon lol..Thank you.
Beautifully_Me
Beautifully_Me

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 9th January 2011, 12:39 am

OMG, Chelsea!!!!!! I BC'd!!!!!!
Today was a crazy day...I started off making some soups to freeze for the colder months and I also planned to do an ayurvedic treatment. So while my beef chili simmered away, I washed my hair and put an amla/bhringraj mixture (mixed with conditioner and EVOO) for 2hrs. I rinsed and did a DT for another hr. I rinsed, applied my leave-in and sealed. I started braiding my hair when I started thinking "what am I waiting for? So many women have done it before me! I don't need to wait another 2 months to go to a hair salon that will cost me $200. That's it, I am going to do it!" So I rewetted my hair and I took my scissors (not a hair scissor either, I don't have one since I've never cut my own hair) and I started chopping and all that's going through my mind is "wow, I'm really doing it and I'm not freaking out."

I could feel my adrenaline spiking because this is BIG! I mean, wow!
I'm sure I cut more then I needed to in some parts and not enough in other...I had to trim a bit more as I was twisting my hair cuz I could still see a bit of limp end on some part but I think I'm really happy with my decision!!!

I feel so airy and good inside. I twisted my hair and am currently air drying before I put on my scarf to go walk my dog. I hope I don't have a freak out moment tomorrow when I go visit my mom and God only knows the "wisdom" aka hold no barrel back opinions...

I'll post pics later once I know what the heck I'm doing style-wise...

OMG - I BC'd!!!!!! affraid dance

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 9th January 2011, 12:46 am

OMGGGGG!!!!
I can't believe it!
Congrats!
I know you'll love it and I hear you it's a rush. I'll be waiting for those pics and I want to hear how your mum takes it and how you style it. Good luck hun!
I'm rooting for ya woot!
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 9th January 2011, 2:20 am

Thanks hun!
Omg-I still can't believe I did it, well I sort of can because I'm still experiencing that "happy, euphoric" feeling...it's just such an amazing feeling. O.M.G.!! LOL

I have a silly question, whenever something calls for "distilled water", does this mean bottled water? I can never be sure...

Thanks always and I'll post pics asap. Laughing

[You must be
registered and logged in to see this image.]

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 9th January 2011, 11:26 am

Bottle water can be spring which is not distilled and purified which is distilled. Also I found instructions for making your own if you're still weary http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_4728943

try it if you're feeling adventurous and tell me how it goes.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 9th January 2011, 9:07 pm

So here's my TWA -- tho not sure I can call it that since my actual length at the back of my neck stretches to my colarbone already.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hey thanks for the info re distilled water...I have another question. How do you prevent oil (when you pre 'poo) from running down your face. I'm having that problem now and it's causing me an insane amount of break out. ugh.

BTW, my mom LOVED my TWA!!!! woot!

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 10th January 2011, 1:40 am

I love it!! Omg your hair is gorgeous.

To answer your question; I had the very same problem until I began to mix a little conditioner with my oil. The conditioner actually does double duty as it acts as a moisturizing DC and enables you to detangle your hair prior to washing it (this may be a Godsend for curlies with thick hair)
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 11th January 2011, 3:38 pm

Thanks NC! Smile
I've been struggling to recreate the hairstyle above the last couple of days -- hasn't been working out so I've been putting a silk bonnet and my winter hat on...the plus side is that at least my hair is protected. LOL

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 11th January 2011, 3:40 pm

Oh yeh an it's been...

[You must be
registered and logged in to see this image.]

LOL woot! dance

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 11th January 2011, 6:37 pm

lol
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyneosoul 15th January 2011, 11:52 pm

Hi ladies,

i haven't posted in a while and let me tell you its been a crazy interesting almost two months since I've joined the forum. my hair has grown tremendously since i started my reggie...i followed the exact reggie that NC posted on here and it has helped my hair sooo much..it's softer and fuller and thicker...however now i'm having an issue with one area of my hair and my ends. i don't know how to clip them and because I've bc'd so much in the past i really don't wanna go some where that will clip soo much of my hair...so any tips on how to clip my own ends would be perfect...now on to the big issue, the crown of my head..this has been my problem area for YEARS...all of my hair is growing leaps and bounds and it's all really thick but that one area which is why i don't someone else to clip my ends cuz i don't want them to try and make my hair even since that area is so much shorter than the rest of my hair...any suggestions on how to deal with problem areas, I'm getting frustrated again and I just need a little encouragement and guidance Sad

naturallyneosoul

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 16th January 2011, 12:16 am

Let me first reassure you by telling you that everyone has their problem areas so do not be dismayed. I would suggest that you pay extra attention to that section of hair;

~moisturize that area more focusing on the ends to maintain them. Ensure that each strand is thoroughly coated and sealed.

~Avoid using tools on that area. Brushes and combs can damage your already fragile hair.

~Low manipulation styles will also give your strands a break from daily manipulation.

~avoid stressing the hair during washing. Use only wide toothed combs and maybe you should consider finger detangling and pre wash oil treatments to make detangling easier

I probably sound like a broken record but the key is low manipulation to retain all of your length

Also are you sure that your crown grows slower because it could be a difference in texture which may make areas of the hair appear shorter than they are (the curlier/ kinkier the area the more shrinkage and the shorter it appears)

Well I must admit as far as trims go I'm not that good. Usually I twist my hair and trim the very ends of each twist. I would suggest searching 'trimming natural hair' on youtube.

naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyneosoul 16th January 2011, 12:32 am

The rest of my hair is type four and it's really curly and kinky and i'm kinda used to that shrinkage but the crown is thinner and definitely more fragile than the rest. i figured that i might have a different texture at the crown but i'm not sure..i don't think i moisturize it as much as possibly could and as thoroughly as i can...i will try it and keep you posted...i will also post some pics soon to let you see the growth...is there a style that you would suggest because the style I've been wearing is the double strand twist and i usually only twist it once every two weeks (retwisting a few that might untwist during that time)

naturallyneosoul

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 16th January 2011, 12:37 am

I'd say you're on point with the style but what about your moisturizer. Is it thick and creamy? Btw listen to that patch of hair as it will tell you what it needs. If it feels crispy shower it with moisturizer like there is no tomorrow.

I suggest daily if not twice daily moisturising and again keep your focus on that patch.

I can not speak from experience but persons swear by henna for thickening the hair so you might want to give it a try.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyneosoul 27th January 2011, 7:51 pm

I will have to say that this has been the worst hair week I've had in a very long time. I think it's this weather here in chicago that is starting to wear on my hair. I am in need of moisture back in the air lol. please Spring come back to us soon. any way, i'm still in search of deep conditioner, i've tried a couple recipes and none seem to work for my hair. any suggestions on recipes or name brands that are really good. I don't mind spending money if it is worth it but i don't want to add to the supply of unused products in my closet.

naturallyneosoul

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 27th January 2011, 9:33 pm

I am in no position to help on that one. Can you keep a secret: I haven't bought a DC in like months :-). I just really do not see any real long term difference in my hair. I usually make a mixture of condish and oils once in a while. I would suggest startig a thread on CN and ask the other members out there who have probably tried every product out there. I'm sorry that I could not be of more help.

I would also like sympathise with you. I know how hard it can be at times when your hair turns on you for no reason. However, this will pass. And like you mentioned the weather is terrible so this may have alot to do with you. Just keep giving it TLC, lots of moisture, gentle care, and keep it protected.

HTH
Chelsea
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyneosoul 30th January 2011, 12:46 am

ok so after what has been the hardest week (emotionally, mentally, and hair) i've made it through...i spent my entire morning doing some extensive research on how to bring life back into my curls...after getting the rejuvenation that i needed in order to even look at my hair, i set out on trying to get some new products...i think i may have stuck gold with this Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner...ive been paying attention to my hair and how stripped it felt even when using sulfate free shampoo, but this Giovanni shampoo was literally like silk wrapped itself around my hair...after i rinsed it, my hair still felt soft and this is so foreign to my fingers because my 4a/b hair is always brittle, but i followed up with the conditioner and more life was brought to my desperate curls...i took my time to detangle it after i applied my leave in and twisted it for the night...i'm sorry this post was so long but I just had to share in my excitement about my hair because it really has been a discouraging week..thanks for bein so willing to share your knowledge NaturallyChelsea...it's truly appreciated...i will keep you posted on how that problem area responds to the new products Very Happy Smile

naturallyneosoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next