CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hair products and where to buy them

4 posters

Go down

hair products and where to buy them Empty hair products and where to buy them

Post by msnubeauty 22nd September 2010, 12:57 pm

Hey natural friends,

I've been natural going on 4 mths. Still don't know what works for my hair as it is extremely dry. Interested in trying sheamoisture and raw shea butter from hearing reviews, but where can I get good hair products without going broke?

Furthermore, how do u keep up with ur routine? Feel like I need a calendar jus to keep track of a hair routine.

Thanks!
msnubeauty
msnubeauty

Back to top Go down

hair products and where to buy them Empty Re: hair products and where to buy them

Post by Mzbush 22nd September 2010, 1:38 pm

I'm sure you will get a lot more detailed responses but try to keep it simple. It's good to develop a regimen but you really need to listen to your hair. Get used to how it feels during certain times. We try so many things that I think we tend to go overboard. But all you really need is to keep it moist, protein, and protect it. I haven't personally tried Sheamoisture yet but I've heard they sell it at Target now. I use a super cheap conditioner (Hello Hydration Long Term Relationship). It works great as a leave-in for me. I use S-Curl moisturizer which is pretty cheap. I seal with organic coconut oil. I get a $6.00 jar from the Vitamin Shoppe that lasts me for a while.

Don't get wrapped up in what everybody else is doing. It can get overwhelming. Some people have kept the most simple regimens and have such BEAUTIFUL hair. Just keep it simple. Look around and compare prices before you buy. Good luck with everything!!
Mzbush
Mzbush

Back to top Go down

hair products and where to buy them Empty Re: hair products and where to buy them

Post by Curly Film Chick 22nd September 2010, 2:20 pm

I find that a hair routine will develop as you figure out what your hair needs. I know that some naturals are really strict with following regimens and others don't. Hair is really an individual thing, and blogs and youtube and forums are here to give you ideas and inspiration. I do a simple routine that involves cleansing, conditioning, and moisturizing. I dont keep a calendar I really just do by what my hair needs. For instance, some naturals wash their hair every two weeks and that does not work for me because of my scalp, I tend to wash every 5-8 days, sometimes more frequently and focusing on the scalp...

As far as products, remember that you don't need to buy really expensive things all the time. as Mzbush said, cheap conditioners like Herbal Essence or even Sauve can be just as effective. Drugstore products can be just as good! Good luck!
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 22nd September 2010, 2:30 pm

Mz Bush and Curly Film chick gave GREAT advice.

My regimen is simple too.

I shampoo, deep condition, moisturize and two strand twist my hair on Sunday. Wear a twist out on the weekends and start all over again on Sunday. I moisturize and seal through the week when needed.

The only way to find out what you hair really likes is to stick with the same products for a month and see how you hair reacts. When you are all over the place with your product choices, it's hard to find out what you hair likes or dislikes.

I purchase MOST of my products from Target. There are a few products I get online (Koils By Nature) but that's it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by msnubeauty 22nd September 2010, 3:55 pm

To MzBush,

Thanks for the post. You said everything I wanted to hear in a few words as my intentions were to "keep it simple" when I decided to go natural. In turn, save some money. I am definitely going to check out Vitamin Shoppe's organic coconut oil though as I know coconut oil is a must-have. Thanks again!

To Curly Film Chick,

Thanks for the post. You must know I got the products that I do have from the drug store. Laughing I mean, what can I say, we don't have a Target or Whole Foods Store. Yeah, it's true. LOL!

To Lynnieluve,

First, I must say that I love the pic of your afro. What products do you use to do your 2 strand twist? I mean I've been natural going on 4 mths. now. I can do little 2 strand twists, but they always shrink like little balls once they dry. Lol! Patience, I know!

By the way, thanks for all the advice you have given me and others on the forum. Seems like every time I look for advice, you are right there.

msnubeauty
msnubeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 22nd September 2010, 6:11 pm

msnubeauty wrote:
To Lynnieluve,

First, I must say that I love the pic of your afro. What products do you use to do your 2 strand twist? I mean I've been natural going on 4 mths. now. I can do little 2 strand twists, but they always shrink like little balls once they dry. Lol! Patience, I know!

By the way, thanks for all the advice you have given me and others on the forum. Seems like every time I look for advice, you are right there.

Thanks!!! I either use my shea butter mix or Koils By Nature hair and body butter/gel combo on wash day. If I wear a twist out for a few days and need to moisturize when I retwist at night, I use Shea Moisture Curl and Style milk.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down