CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Workout Video Reviews

4 posters

Go down

Workout Video Reviews Empty Workout Video Reviews

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 21st September 2010, 10:07 am

Hi all,

I've started to use workout videos more and more for both strength training and cardio workouts as my work schedule and life grow busier and less predictable for scheduling "me" time. I'd love to build up a solid collection of videos to fight exercise boredom, but there are thousands of videos out there and Amazon reviews can be a bit of a pain to read (some are high quality, while many aren't helpful at all). Please share any information you have on workout videos you've tried (at least a few times):

- Name of workout
- Type of workout (cardio, strength training, pilates, mix, etc.)
- Number of workouts (e.g. one broken into chapters, three levels of beginning, intermediate, and advanced, one abs and one arms, etc.)
- Who this workout would most appeal to (e.g. frequent video users, very fit people, beginners, dancers, yogis, martial arts lovers, etc.)
- Workouts it is similar to (if any)
- What you like about it (pros, such as routine, music, instruction style, inspiration, etc.)
- What you don't like about it (cons)
- Where you bought it and for how much

If someone already posted about a video you use, then please just include the video title and your pros and cons. If you don't agree with the other assessment of type of workout and who it would appeal to, then include your answers to those points, too.

I'll respond separately with my own reviews.

Thanks for your help!
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Workout Video Reviews Empty Zumba Fitness Complete Total-Body Transformation System

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 26th September 2010, 7:50 pm

Name of workout
Zumba Fitness Complete Total-Body Transformation System
Type of workout
dance cardio, with one workout incorporating some toning exercise with the use of hand weights
Number of workouts
There are six workouts, each broken into chapters by warm-up, music type, and cool-down:
- Basics work out (60 minutes)
- 20-Minute Express (20 minutes)
- Cardio Party (50 minutes)
- Sculpt & Tone (45 minutes)
- Live! (55 minutes)
- Flat Abs (20 minutes)
Who this workout would most appeal to
This is (of course) for those who like dance cardio, but also would appeal to those who like Latin music. Like a lot of other dance cardio workouts, you can make this beginner, intermediate, or advanced depending on how hard you work. So, if you need a hard cardio workout that pushes you, then this might not be the best option.
Workouts it is similar to
I am sure there are other Latin dance workouts, but I only know of this one.
What you like about it
I love that there are several workouts that come in the one system. I've cycled through them as I get bored with one - there's always another one to turn to!
Beto (the creator of Zumba) is very enthusiastic and encouraging. He is somewhat informal, which is great. You can relax a bit since he's not perfect. It feels like he's encouraging you to have fun and not think too much about doing the workout perfectly.
I also like the music. I listen to Latin music, and when working out might get sick of the lyrics and hearing the same songs over and over. The songs for these workouts were composed by Beto, and they're catchy and light on the annoying lyrics Smile
I also like that he has "dancers" of varying levels. The main woman, Tanya, who speaks along with Beto throughout the routines is definitely more of an aerobics person, so you can often look to her for form (except in the Live! workout - I think she was sleepy or not happy in that one). The curly-haired woman, Gina, has a dance background, has had 4 kids (!) and generally does each of the moves much harder, so you can look to her for how to push your workout harder or how to do the moves in a more fluid way, AND for inspiration on getting fit. Beto also has men and people of varying ages in the routines, which is so refreshing in comparison to other tapes that seem to target twenty-year-old women who are already in shape.
What you don't like about it
The cool-downs are very light. They could definitely be longer and targeting more the areas that have been worked.
Where you bought it and for how much
I bought it at Zumba.com for $60 + shipping, and it came with the 1-pound toning sticks (which my friend, who received the package for me while I was traveling, chucked out for some annoying reason!). You can also check on eBay or Amazon.com.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Workout Video Reviews Empty Re: Workout Video Reviews

Post by 1stladycurly 2nd October 2010, 9:42 pm

I saw that on TV but I was unsure about it. Me and the Hubby just started to workout together today lol Lord help us. run
1stladycurly
1stladycurly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJones 10th November 2010, 3:37 pm

I love the Zumba program as well!
MrsJones
MrsJones

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 11th November 2010, 3:33 pm

Name of workout: Physique 57 Express 30 minute work out

- Type of workout: Body conditioning, abs, mild cardio

- Number of workouts (e.g. one broken into chapters, three levels of beginning, intermediate, and advanced, one abs and one arms, etc.) 1 on this disc

- Who this workout would most appeal to (e.g. frequent video users, very fit people, beginners, dancers, yogis, martial arts lovers, etc.) People who like pilates, looking to tone and get lean.

- Workouts it is similar to (if any) Not sure, it is unique. I've read it is like the Barre Method.

- What you like about it (pros, such as routine, music, instruction style, inspiration, etc.): It uses a chair as a ballet barre to do squats and leg work. Good abs portion using a playground ball.

- What you don't like about it (cons): The instructor can be a bit annoying, but that's no biggie.

- Where you bought it and for how much: I bought it at QVC.com in a set of 3 dvds and a playground ball for 50 dollars. The other two dvds in the set are also in the Physique 57 system.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 11th November 2010, 3:35 pm

Name of workout: Physique 57 Arms and abs

- Type of workout: Body conditioning/light weights, abs.

- Number of workouts (e.g. one broken into chapters, three levels of beginning, intermediate, and advanced, one abs and one arms, etc.) 1 on this disc

- Who this workout would most appeal to (e.g. frequent video users, very fit people, beginners, dancers, yogis, martial arts lovers, etc.) People who like pilates, looking to tone and get lean without heavy weight lifting.

- Workouts it is similar to (if any) Not sure.

- What you like about it (pros, such as routine, music, instruction style, inspiration, etc.): Good abs portion using a playground ball.

- What you don't like about it (cons): The arm weight part is tough for me at this point (but I guess that means it is a good workout).

- Where you bought it and for how much: I bought it at QVC.com in a set of 3 dvds and a playground ball for 50 dollars. The other two dvds in the set are also in the Physique 57 system.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 22nd November 2010, 9:37 pm

I'd never heard of Physique 57. Thanks!
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Workout Video Reviews Empty Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 27th November 2010, 11:53 pm

Name of workout
Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism

Type of workout
circuit workout – each 6 minute circuit has 3 minutes of strength work, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs work

Number of workouts
The tape is 50 minutes total. There is one, 40-minute workout, with seven 6-minute circuits, plus 5 minutes each for warm up and cool down. You can skip through circuits if you want to make the workout shorter.

Who this workout would most appeal to
This would appeal to those who:
- crave efficiency – combined moves, like bicep presses with squats, means an overall shorter time for a solid workout for all parts of the body. And the circuits keep you moving, so your heart rate gets up high several times, all in a relatively short workout.
- don’t need fancy moves – a lot of this stuff is familiar (jumping jacks, bicycle crunch) but it’s effective, so...
- don’t want lots of talking – she minimally explains what each move is for and how to do them properly, but if you get tired of that you have the option to mute the talking and keep the music!
- get bored – I hate gyms and exercising, but the circuits are just short enough so I don’t have time to complain before the next move is worked in. Plus her talk and direction can be motivating without reminding you of the Biggest Loser or high school PE.
- need modifications to ease into it or challenge yourself – I get knee pains every once in a while so the modifications are great and I still get a solid workout.

Workouts it is similar to
If you are familiar with her 30 Day Shred workout, then you’ll recognize some of the moves. But this workout is twice as long and gets your heart pumping so much more!

What you like about it
Very Efficient – Again, I hate gyms and pretty much anything that is just exercise for the sake of exercising. But if I need to pack some physical activity into my day or week because I’m short on time, then this is one of my favorites. Great cardio, good strength training, all done efficiently and in circuits that switch it up before I get a chance to start complaining or get bored.

No equipment needed – You don’t need money or fancy clothing or equipment. You just need a clean floor and a DVD player. You use your own body weight for strength/resistance training. I take this when I travel (play it on my laptop) and do it with socks and a towel on the carpet.

She also shows good and bad form, so you won't injure yourself and will get the most out of the move in the short period of time you're doing it.

I also like that she acknowledges that the fitness of the women in her video is really great, and perhaps greater than her own. A bit of humble pie is attractive.

What you don't like about it
The music is only bleh. And sometimes you can tell she's reading a prompter/script. Other than that, it was a deal for the money I paid, the solid workout I get, and the number of times I'm actually using it.

Where you bought it and for how much
I bought it on Amazon.com as a bundle with 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones which qualified for free Super Saver shipping. On its own, new, it is only $10 plus shipping.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down