CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starter Products for Tiwst outs and Braid outs..?

5 posters

Go down

Starter Products for Tiwst outs and Braid outs..? Empty Starter Products for Tiwst outs and Braid outs..?

Post by Kez 14th September 2010, 4:26 am

Hey ladies,
Im pretty new to this site and need some tips pls!
Im in the UK so not sure if I will be able to get all the products, but some ideas would be great.
I have natural hair, thats been saldy a bit abused in the past, at present it has a standard alkaline perm on the ends, used as a relaxer (not as harsh thankfully), so my roots are curlier than end still, but i have the frizz and thickness still of when its all natural.
Sooooo, I have done Braids out which dropped the following day and two strand twist Bantu Knots which are still curly 2days on :-) - I used Oil Oil Hair Polish (works like a serum), then Dark and Lovely Moisture Cream, (this was all after wash and condition with Hello Hydration HE and a new 97% natural dep mositure conditioning product i found, seems good so far!), then I applied Boots Curl Creme, to each section I braided/twiste, then a little hair spray and left over night to dry - though before twisting and braiding I let dry with towel for 15mins, air dry maybe 10, then hairdried for couple mins once braids/tiwsts-knots were in.
As I say Bantu Twists are still going strong but Braids not - any suggestions as to what I could change as clearly my braids need something the twists dont???
My hair is so thick, I have read people saying they do 15ish Knots, I had 21 and some still were really thick, braids I had the same i think, and again sooo thick which doesnt help, so I will also make them EVEN thinner but i do think product is also an issue.
I have frizzy hair and it is prone to frizzing in humidity!
Thanks for listening to me waffle.
Lots of Curls and Love from here in the UK :-) xx afro
Kez
Kez

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=537223131

Back to top Go down

Starter Products for Tiwst outs and Braid outs..? Empty Re: Starter Products for Tiwst outs and Braid outs..?

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th September 2010, 11:01 am

Kez wrote:Hey ladies,
Im pretty new to this site and need some tips pls!
Im in the UK so not sure if I will be able to get all the products, but some ideas would be great.
I have natural hair, thats been saldy a bit abused in the past, at present it has a standard alkaline perm on the ends, used as a relaxer (not as harsh thankfully), so my roots are curlier than end still, but i have the frizz and thickness still of when its all natural.
Sooooo, I have done Braids out which dropped the following day and two strand twist Bantu Knots which are still curly 2days on :-) - I used Oil Oil Hair Polish (works like a serum), then Dark and Lovely Moisture Cream, (this was all after wash and condition with Hello Hydration HE and a new 97% natural dep mositure conditioning product i found, seems good so far!), then I applied Boots Curl Creme, to each section I braided/twiste, then a little hair spray and left over night to dry - though before twisting and braiding I let dry with towel for 15mins, air dry maybe 10, then hairdried for couple mins once braids/tiwsts-knots were in.
As I say Bantu Twists are still going strong but Braids not - any suggestions as to what I could change as clearly my braids need something the twists dont???
My hair is so thick, I have read people saying they do 15ish Knots, I had 21 and some still were really thick, braids I had the same i think, and again sooo thick which doesnt help, so I will also make them EVEN thinner but i do think product is also an issue.
I have frizzy hair and it is prone to frizzing in humidity!
Thanks for listening to me waffle.
Lots of Curls and Love from here in the UK :-) xx afro
Hi Kez!

Perhaps with the braid outs, you can skip the hairspray after braiding as well as drying with the towel (may help with frizzies also) and hairdrying after the braids are in. If your hair is not fully dry when you need it to be, you can get under a hooded dryer or hairdry the roots until less wet.

You may also need something with a little hold. I’ve heard of the Boots Curl Crème but not familiar with it. Does it provide a soft or firm hold? If it provides a soft hold, see if they offer a product that has more hold.

Also, how do you take your braids apart from the bottom up or from the top down? What do you use on hair before undoing?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Starter Products for Tiwst outs and Braid outs..? Empty Re: Starter Products for Tiwst outs and Braid outs..?

Post by Kez 14th September 2010, 11:41 am

Hey Chrslvsbks,

Thanks for replying to me...!

When I take them out, I dont put anything on them, after I add a little more Dark and Lovely Moisturiser..more for sheen than anything...

When i take them out, as you said, bottom to top and i take them out gently, one bit at a time, rather than rushing and pulling a chunk at a time. I then seperate with fingers too then give a little shake and fluff up!

So would you suggest doing on wet hair rather than damp, literally squeeze as much out after washing then go in for the braids?

I dont have a Bonet and cant find one, but i have just recieved my inflatable one, so will try that! Ha ha - should be interesting, basically just attach end of my hairdryer to it and the air inflates and circulates through vents - has to worth a try.

I'll also laye off Spray and check curl creme. I was going to order Curly pudding by Miss Jessie, but seen really mixed reviews and its really expensive in UK, up for £45 for 16oz jar - worth it if it works though!

Thanks again,

Kez xxx
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 14th September 2010, 12:05 pm

Hi Kez,

I noticed that you mentioned you still have relaxed ends which could contribute to the braidouts not lasting. I did braidouts while I was transitioning and I had to redo them at night more frequently with the relaxed ends than I do now. I also used a heavier butter type product.

While transitioning I used Afroveda Totally Twisted Butter and Qhemet's Amla and Olive heavy cream for braidouts. You don't have to purchase these exact products but you may need something a little heavier to help them set and give them hold. I also do them on wet hair (not soaking, water has been squeezed out) which gives braidouts more definition. Also when removing try rubbing a little oil on each braid to cut down on frizz.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 14th September 2010, 12:14 pm

krazy coils wrote:Hi Kez,

I noticed that you mentioned you still have relaxed ends which could contribute to the braidouts not lasting. I did braidouts while I was transitioning and I had to redo them at night more frequently with the relaxed ends than I do now. I also used a heavier butter type product.

While transitioning I used Afroveda Totally Twisted Butter and Qhemet's Amla and Olive heavy cream for braidouts. You don't have to purchase these exact products but you may need something a little heavier to help them set and give them hold. I also do them on wet hair (not soaking, water has been squeezed out) which gives braidouts more definition. Also when removing try rubbing a little oil on each braid to cut down on frizz.

Thanks Krazy Coils - appreciate the help, I will look up some of those products, just not sure if we have the same here in the UK, found this website that sells the Miss Jessies Puddings etc - will see if they do of whst you suggested. Definately the permed striahgt ends could certainly contribute to this, in fact it will, its just Bantu KNots, didnt drop using same products, just found it strange! And i prefer the effect of Braids at the moment - think im gonna have to have a big spend up intially and just keep playing with ptoducts.
Here is the website i found, if you do get couple spare mins and a chance to look, any suggestions would be great, I will also look for what you recommended above, thank for your help Smile

http://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/store/
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 14th September 2010, 1:44 pm

I am a bit of a product junkie so I have tried some of these products (lol). I've used the Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana Honey Butta Leave-in for twists and braids and I also used the CJ Curl Rehab under this as a leave-in. My hair felt moisturized with this combo. I've also used the Komaza Coconut hair pudding for braidouts. It looks more like a gel than a pudding but it leaves your hair soft, just make sure to use a good leave-in conditioner underneath.

Miss Jessies is really expensive so I think you can find other products with better ingredients to try for your braidouts.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by kinkycurlyhair 15th September 2010, 1:01 am

Kez,

I am currently in my sixth month of transitioning. I have been doing twist-outs once a week. I believe my twist-out lasts for seven days because of the products I am using. I feel like my hair hit the jack pot when I began doing my hair with the Knot Today leave-in condish and the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I love my twist-outs!

I know product reacts diffently on the hair type. But I hope this information helps. Best wishes.
kinkycurlyhair
kinkycurlyhair

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 15th September 2010, 1:11 am

I used Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist for twist outs and braids outs when I was transitioning. It held like a champ. With permed ends I had to twist and braid with wet hair and I used perm rods to curl the ends.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 15th September 2010, 9:08 am

Thanks ladies for all the tips, i appreciate it, I will get searching for some of these - i will have to troll the internet as here in Portsmouth, there is about 2 Black/Afro Hairdressers I know of but the tend to sell all the really really thick slimey greasey products that add too much weight, the lady is very set in her ways and has dusty items on her shelf that have been there years bless her - so i gave up - so net it is.
I dont live in an area where there is much demand and most the black ladies i know, get weaves or realx...! I should point them in this direction!
xxxx
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 15th September 2010, 9:08 am

Thanks ladies for all the tips, i appreciate it, I will get searching for some of these - i will have to troll the internet as here in Portsmouth, there is about 2 Black/Afro Hairdressers I know of but the tend to sell all the really really thick slimey greasey products that add too much weight, the lady is very set in her ways and has dusty items on her shelf that have been there years bless her - so i gave up - so net it is.
I dont live in an area where there is much demand and most the black ladies i know, get weaves or realx...! I should point them in this direction!
xxxx
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down