CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

products to help define curl, discouraged :(

+4
Renny
Gado-Gado Gal
rayray19
NaturallyDee*
8 posters

Go down

products to help define curl, discouraged :( Empty products to help define curl, discouraged :(

Post by NaturallyDee* 5th September 2010, 5:49 pm

My curl really isnt defined . its wavey some places, and some places it doesnt to anything . i was wondering if there were any products that help defined a curl which really isnt that defined . i have 4b hair .

thanks pros

NaturallyDee*

Back to top Go down

products to help define curl, discouraged :( Empty Re: products to help define curl, discouraged :(

Post by rayray19 5th September 2010, 9:20 pm

have you tried any gels like ecostyler, KCCC, or one of my favorites Curls Goddess Curl ( I love the Curls gel because it never give me that white ball effect and stays soft)
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

products to help define curl, discouraged :( Empty Re: products to help define curl, discouraged :(

Post by NaturallyDee* 5th September 2010, 9:46 pm

i have olive oil ecostyler . no kccc and i have that curls goddess gel i believe

NaturallyDee*

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 6th September 2010, 12:50 am

and none of them work???
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 6th September 2010, 1:22 am

NaturallyDee*,
It would be helpful for us to know, also, what your routine is when you style your hair with the EcoStyler. For example, do you use it after shampooing and conditioning, on damp hair? Do you comb it through? Let us know, and then people might be able to suggest an additional step in your routine, or recommend you not do something.

It seems that in general less manipulation of the hair (e.g. less combing), and applying the gel when your hair is wet (not damp, but wet and tending to clump into natural locks of curled hair) can help with curl defining.

Smile
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 6th September 2010, 9:48 am

Also are you towel drying or plopping with a teeshirt? That really helps to define my curls. But I agree Gado, your regimen is key.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 6th September 2010, 3:36 pm

well y dont u try nikki's infamous twist and curl or bantu knot outs to try to create a curl patter rather than define one that might not be there. Not only is the style beautiful but the benefits of stetching ure hair using these styles are numerous.

good luck Very Happy
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 6th September 2010, 5:29 pm

I dont know if this will help but, ... I use Olive Oil Eco styler gel mixed with shea butter and a little bit of coconut oil ( I already had a sheabutter/ coconut oil mixture then I mixed it with the Eco Styler) I only mix up about 1.5-2 spoonfuls. I use the white platic spoons to "measure." It's about 1.5 spoonfuls of gel to 1/2 spoonful sheabutter/coconut oil mixture.

I figured this out last night while micro twisting my hair. My hair was feeling dry and tangled so i misted it with water and combed it out (wasnt defined after combing) then I added the Eco Styler concoction (to seal in the moisture and to help the twists stay in) as I applied it I noticed my hair clumped together really well, so I tried it on a few more sections and the same thing happened. And that's how I found out what defines my curls.

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyDee* 6th September 2010, 9:31 pm

thanks beauties .

firstly i dont have too much of a regimen , today i had a twist out, i took it out, i sprayed my hair w a water . olive and castor oil and lavender mix . then i applied the olive oil , from the tip up . it left a great curl in my hair , small lil coily curl, but pretty . and i kept that spray in and added shea butter, but when it dries it looks like a big poof w a small amount of stupid looking coils, i let it air dry . i am currently in the army in afghan . i go home for two weeks in dec and i have set a personal goal , of acheiving some length and hairstyles for myself . thank you everyone for your comments

Dee Very Happy

NaturallyDee*

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 6th September 2010, 10:54 pm

Take care out there, Dee!

It looks like you don't have a moisturizer separately or in your spray (other than the water). Moisture is important because if your hair is trying to "grab" moisture from the air, it could disrupt the set style (or curl definition). A moisturizer could be straight leave-in conditioner applied to your damp hair, or leave-in, glycerine, aloe, or honey added to your spray. I'd recommend only glycerine if the air is dry or arid where you are. Why don't you try your routine after a wash and conditioning, moisturize, then seal, then add your styler (gel), and air dry? If you notice a difference then you know you may need more moisture.

You may also need a stronger holding styler, or to add more of it to your hair. Some people add their styler small sections are a time, to more evenly and thoroughly distribute the styler throughout your hair. You might try this with the EcoStyler before trying another product. Please also search the forum threads for "curl definition". I've seen some people swear by honey or aloe vera gel for their curl definition, but keep in mind that their unique hair will respond differently to these products. Ultimately you'll have to find what you hair is like, needs, and then what works best for your hair.

Please also note that your different textures may respond differently to different products. In this case, I agree with cfregis to try twists, bantu knots, braids, rollers, or some other style that you allow to air-dry until completely dry (could take overnight or a while day), thereby creating the defined curls yourself. Low manipulation, proper moisture and a strong enough styler are all still important here.

I hope this helps!
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by tiatj 29th September 2010, 3:26 pm

I went to a natural hair program last week and heard about the new keracare natural hair care line. The stylist used this defining custard on her 4a/4b hair and it was SUPER defined....so I HAD to go look online for it that night. I used it last night on my 4a/4b hair and it came out sooo defined and it doesn't take much product at all.
tiatj
tiatj

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1116420078

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalandhappy 29th September 2010, 3:51 pm

Tiatj, Wow I may have to try that myself when summer rolls back around because I could never do a was n go at all this past summer. I tried everything KCC. ECO, Uncle Funky's daughter you name I tried it. I have very thick 3C to 4A hair type my hair was doing the same thing once it dried it was a big puff & look really Dry. Do that's helpful information I'll look on line for it & start my research.
Thanks

Naturalandhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by tiatj 29th September 2010, 5:03 pm

there's very little informatin about the line because it just came out and you can't even buy it from salons or anything right now. I just had to go on what the stylist said and so far i am very satisfied.
tiatj
tiatj

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1116420078

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalandhappy 29th September 2010, 5:27 pm

It's weird that now a lot of companies are coming out with natural products & a few years ago you couldn't find anything. Now there are too many to try to pick from that will work for this type or that type. What may work for one person may not work for another. I had to stop myself this summer I was buying everything I heard that would work I have learned to do my research some of theses products are not cheap. Again thanks for the info maybe by next summer I'll have something that will work as a wash n go.

Naturalandhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down