CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I AM TERRIFIED AND NEED HELP

5 posters

Go down

I AM TERRIFIED AND NEED HELP Empty I AM TERRIFIED AND NEED HELP

Post by jaylin20032003 2nd September 2010, 10:05 am

Hello fellow curlies, I have decided to get some flat twists (done with fake hair and pulled back into a bun) on saturday and I'm scared of the blowdryer. I am 4 months post bc, and have yet to blowdry my own hair, and we all know the smoke and flames that come from a cosmetologists blowdryer!!! Shocked I do know the lady very well, and she will use my own products to wash my hair, etc, but I'm still afraid of heat damage. I have purchased some heat protectant spray that I can ask her to use. Is there anything I can do myself before I go to protect my curls? I think I read somewhere that some ladies pre-poo or deep condition before blowdrying? Any tips, links or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!! Many thanks in advance I love you
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

I AM TERRIFIED AND NEED HELP Empty Re: I AM TERRIFIED AND NEED HELP

Post by BajanPrincess82 2nd September 2010, 11:42 am

I think you should wash, condition, deep condition, and blow dry your own hair. Can't you go to the salon with it ready to be styled? That way you can make sure you take care of the 'heat' part yourself.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 2nd September 2010, 11:49 am

i can, but i just feel like if im gonna pay her, then she should do everything thats included in the price, y'know? i could ask her if the price is cheaper if she just twists it, and i come ready to be styled...but i might have to do that, just to be sure i dont get any heat damage. thx!
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 2nd September 2010, 12:38 pm

Yeah, you should at least ask about if it will be any cheaper. Last time I got my hair done (just flat-ironed and trimmed) I washed, conditioned, deep conditioned, and blow dried my hair at home. I also made sure to oil my scalp so she wouldn't be tempted to use any "grease" for dry areas.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 2nd September 2010, 2:20 pm

I talked to her, and it will be the same price Sad but I'm just gonna do everything myself, and have her twist it. Thanks so much for your help!!!
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 2nd September 2010, 4:08 pm

that sounds like a rip-off.. With natural hair, the washing, conditioning, and detangling and straightening are the most time and labor-intensive parts! That's wrong to charge the same price for half the work.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 2nd September 2010, 4:14 pm

I KNOW RIGHT!!! i was thinking the same thing...i was actually debating if i should still get them or not...i work hard for my money, and if im doing all the work... Mad
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Mai 3rd September 2010, 2:42 am

Yea I agree. That sounds like a rip-off. (Scratch that, take out the words 'sounds like') that IS a rip-off.

Couple of options or advice. First think about it some more. Locate and research another salon. Or better yet, learn how to do flat twist for yourself so that you won't have to depend on other people. Whatever you do, I hope it is successful
Ms.Mai
Ms.Mai

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 3rd September 2010, 1:33 pm

Hi Jaylin,

If she truly wants you for a client, she should discuss her reason for charging the full price. I know economic times are hard, and as a business person, she must calculate her bottom line/profit margins for each labor transaction.

If you are afraid of heat damage - be frank with her. No one is a better advocate for your hair than you are. Let her know that you will go back to TWAs and DO NOT WANT FRIZZLY STRAIGHT ENDS.

If I were in your shoes, I would ask her if she's ever seen heat damage on 4a-b-c hair. Ask her to describe it. Articles state that the water content of the hair (10-13%) actually BOILS and damages the cortex/cuticle from within, resulting in bubble-breakage along the length of the hair shaft. Water boils at 212 degrees F, and all hair dryers and flat irons exceed that temperature.

Pre-conditioning and heat protectants surely help, but caution with heated appliances is paramount.

If it were me, and I couldn't get a firm commitment from her to not heat damage my hair, then I'd take my business elsewhere.

Be Blessed!

Last edited by Thetruthisoutthere on 3rd September 2010, 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 3rd September 2010, 3:33 pm

thanks ladies for all your help, i didn't go to her; went to someone else and got the twists done last night, and they look great!!! they hurt, but its ok lol. i really appreciate all your advice run
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down