CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want layers but I'm terrified, help!

5 posters

Go down

I want layers but I'm terrified, help! Empty I want layers but I'm terrified, help!

Post by jackie34r 7th March 2010, 9:02 pm

I have 3C curly hair that I've been growing out for the last 2 years and it's now down to the middle of my back. While it's been great to have it that long, I want layers (my hair is tends to be flat at the roots and poofs out toward the end) The last time I cut my hair was when I asked for a trim and ended up losing almost 3 inches of hair! Naturally, I have had a hard time trusting anyone to do my hair but I'm ready. I've read that curly hair should be cut dry but can it be cut wet as well with success? A very promising stylist in my area can only cut my hair wet but now I'm wondering if I should just find a Deva-trained stylist to cut it dry. Have any of you ladies gotten layers lately? I just need some guidance! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

jackie34r

Back to top Go down

I want layers but I'm terrified, help! Empty Re: I want layers but I'm terrified, help!

Post by Mak 8th March 2010, 12:39 am

I don't know the answer, but everything I've ever read or heard seems to indicate that layers on curly hair is not a good idea. sorry, no help I know.
Mak
Mak

Back to top Go down

I want layers but I'm terrified, help! Empty Re: I want layers but I'm terrified, help!

Post by Hollis 8th March 2010, 8:12 am

Hey Jackie,

I think I have the same hair type as you and I want to cut my hair in layers also and just as you am terrified. I have been braiding my hair wet or twisting it wet and setting the ends on rollers. I have been trying to set my sides and the top layers of my hair on rollers a little higher than the bottom layers of the back to create the effect of layers and I like it. However I don't know how it will look once I cut it. I too feel like my hair looks flat on top. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] A friend of mine recommended a natural stylist she goes to. I am going to go to her for a trim, she cuts curly hair wet and if it goes well than I will wait a little while and get some layers cut, but I think layers will look better if I keep up with a twist and curl or a braid and curl. I hope it will look good as a wash and go. I did find a deva-trained stylist in my area but she charges about $60 and up for a cut, so I think I will save my money because the other stylist charges about $10 for a trim. Hope this helps.
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 9th March 2010, 10:29 pm

I have layers, and the only thing I wish I'd done differently is got them sooner!!! Smile

My hair is a 2b/3b/3c mix, and I desperately needed some volume. It's growing out now, and the layers look good. When I get it trimmed I'm going to get it layered again.

My stylist cuts mine curly...since I've been natural I've never straightened it.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 9th March 2010, 11:04 pm

@blondi Do you have pics you can post of the layers? I would love to see them? I'm still a little scared to cut mine but I really want to get some more volume and try something different.
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 9th March 2010, 11:27 pm

When it was first done -
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

More recent -

blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by CostaKink 10th March 2010, 12:03 am

@blondie I ♥ your hair!
CostaKink
CostaKink

http://www.loudmouth269@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 10th March 2010, 1:05 am

I love it! Do you think my hair would look alright with long layers?
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 10th March 2010, 8:29 pm

CostaKink wrote:@blondie I ♥️ your hair!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thank you! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hollis wrote:I love it! Do you think my hair would look alright with long layers?

Thanks!
Of course! Layers would give it shape and volume.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down