CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conditioner Attack!!

+4
Erica5417
jamaicacurl
NikG20
snappynappy
8 posters

Go down

Conditioner Attack!! Empty Conditioner Attack!!

Post by snappynappy 17th November 2009, 9:16 pm

I seriously want to bumrush my younger sisters with bottles of conditioner, satin scarfs and sulfate free shampoo. Is that so wrong? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They are 13(barely) and 15 (in 2 weeks) and dont really know how to do hair, then again I didnt know how to at that age either. They are currently wearing protective styles. I dont want to force "going natural" on them but the more I think about it I sorta kinda do. What are styles that you would consider age appropriate and not so hard for a novice to learn? I like a lot of the styles NikG20 has on her site but I dont think a high school freshman would want to rock a minnie mouse style [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . If neccessary I will pay to keep them in PS but I would like to give them options beyond that. I would settle for them staying relaxed if they so choose, but I would like to help them retain length and develop a HHR.
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Conditioner Attack!! Empty Re: Conditioner Attack!!

Post by NikG20 17th November 2009, 9:34 pm

lol...No That's not wrong! Those are your little sisters!

"NikG20 has on her site but I dont think a high school freshman would want to rock a minnie mouse style"

lol!!! Awww why not? Just kidding. Smile

I think two strand twists look great on both transitioning hair and natural hair. I have seen on various websites, including this one where women will kind of jazz up the twists with a flexi-8 or a rhinestone clip or something like that. It's really pretty.

I think twist outs/braid outs would be great for them also. Buns...etc...
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 17th November 2009, 9:37 pm

NikG20 wrote:lol...No That's not wrong! Those are your little sisters!

"NikG20 has on her site but I dont think a high school freshman would want to rock a minnie mouse style"

lol!!! Awww why not? Just kidding. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I think two strand twists look great on both transitioning hair and natural hair. I have seen on various websites, including this one where women will kind of jazz up the twists with a flexi-8 or a rhinestone clip or something like that. It's really pretty.

I think twist outs/braid outs would be great for them also. Buns...etc...

They hated my twists and they dont have enough for a bun so I am seriously confused as to what they could do.
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 17th November 2009, 9:40 pm

Aww, why didn't they like the twists? Did they like the twist out look? I just did some 3 strands on A's hair yesterday so I'll be posting what the twist out looks like on Thursday. Hopefully it looks cute & you can show your sisters. Maybe they will like it.

What about coils? Or can you do bantu knots and do a knot out?

I'm trying to think of stuff a 13 & 15 year old would like....
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 17th November 2009, 9:51 pm

They didnt like the appearance. They dont know a thing about hair so my twists were foreign to them. Bantu knots...i think that would be a good idea!

Last edited by snappynappy on 17th November 2009, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 17th November 2009, 11:42 pm

Girl I have a co-worker (Indian girl) who always wears her hair curly (yay!) but it's dry and busy all the time! You can tell she would have great curls if she would just condition condition condition! Me and another co-worker want to give her an anonymous gift basket with conditioners and a CG book!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 18th November 2009, 12:35 am

It's hard at that age. My daughter went natural at 15 (did her BC herself) over the summer. She rocked her 'fro and then when she got back to school, it seems she felt pressured to straighten. She doesn't have a relaxer so I'm happy about that but she doesn't like the styles I like. That's probably the most difficult age to rock natural styles. I'm in the same boat as you, trying to find healthy styles that she will like.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 18th November 2009, 2:52 pm

Im so confused as to what to do...I don't want to lead them halfway and then leave them stranded!
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 18th November 2009, 4:28 pm

Try sitting with them and asking them some of the styles they like. Then mention the styles that would work best for their hair length and texture, out of the ones they have chosen. This would be a good time to talk to them about proper haircare. I would then send them to a stylist (one time) for a good styling and ask for further suggestions.

I stumped on what PS means.

My daughter, who is also natural, has started a hair scrapbook. I try to mimic the styles as much as possible without heat. She has also been informed that some styles are not possible on natural hair without heat being applied. We agreed that pressing would be reserved for special occasions, but no more than 3 times a year.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 7th December 2009, 1:17 pm

I dont think they are ready for it, at least not yet. However when my sister(now 15) took her microbraids out i basically attacked her head, whether she wanted me to or not.. she hadnt washed it in forever so I did teh whole shebang on her head. She needed it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]- Shampoo,wash, DC over night (with YTC pampering mud conditioner, castor oil and coconut oil), cowash. It looked a heck of a lot better. Even though she went and got a relaxer anyway she did end up with a lot more length because she had the braids in for so long.

I guess all I can do at the moment is encourage them to stretch in between relaxers and when they are ready to come around I will be there.
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by missmoni4x4 7th December 2009, 6:17 pm

Maybe you can pick up some hair books, with diff. braided styles & twists... I think a zig zag or neat small conrow design in the front & maybe a twist out or straw rods in the back would be nice!

but if they are dead set on trying to keep their hair "flowing" straight, you might just have to wait. I guess their primary concern is probably on their peers & what's attractive to boys they like. At that age there was no fear that one day my hair might fall out or stop growing b/c of anything I did to it or my body.
missmoni4x4
missmoni4x4

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 7th December 2009, 7:44 pm

Off topic:

@missmoni4x4 - I love your avatar pic!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by missmoni4x4 7th December 2009, 9:58 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Off topic:

WOW!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. You just don't know how much that really lifted my spirit!
missmoni4x4
missmoni4x4

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 7th December 2009, 10:10 pm

missmoni4x4 wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:Off topic:

WOW!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. You just don't know how much that really lifted my spirit!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] your avator is nice!
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down