CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What natural hair products are YOU using???

+25
gettinback2myroots
kekesmum
Lynnieluve
Divinebeauty87
MrsSunshinz
Neems
alove15
FalconTress
Alanija
saramachara
gemofacurlgirl
Naturally Esq
raslade808
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
ciara89
sonance
MelMelBee
raina
Priss Pot
krazy coils
ChrsLvsBks
WhosThatRedHead
freckledmom4
kimjunebug
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What natural hair products are YOU using??? Empty What natural hair products are YOU using???

Post by kimjunebug 4th August 2010, 8:05 pm

Hello fellow curlies,

I was just wondering what kinds of natural hair products you're using. Everytime I decide I'm going to try something out I read negative comments about the produts such as Kinky Curly making the hair texture look too much like a 'jerry curl' or Miss Jessie's products having mineral oils (which I've read is a no-no) in them.

Since I began wearing my hair in its natural state 2 months ago, I've been using Cantu Shea butter as a leave in and last week I started using Curls Goddess Curls and Curl Creme Brule from Target as styling products. I shampoo and condition with AO shampoo and conditioner or HE Hello Hydration conditioner. I also did my first henna treatment with Reshma henna last week and lovvvveedd the results.

These products seem to be working ok for me, but I'm just curious as to what is working for you. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
kimjunebug
kimjunebug

Back to top Go down

What natural hair products are YOU using??? Empty Re: What natural hair products are YOU using???

Post by ... 5th August 2010, 12:14 am

Pretty much most, if not all, of the products I'm using right now are natural; drugstore brands don't usually work out too well for my hair and tend to build-up while providing no real moisture (if they're not too busy drying out my hair, that is).

I use VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying conditioner to cleanse my hair, and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner
to condition. I have a few other conditioners that I'm trying to use up right now, but once they're gone, I'm going to try the Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut to condition to see how that fairs compared to the Trader Joe's. But the Suave and VO5 are the only drugstore brands I'm using right now. I apply a whipped shea butter/castor oil/grapeseed oil mix after I've washed my hair, twist my hair with plain shea butter, and apply the shea butter mix to wet hair to moisturize daily (while in twists). When I'm donning a twist-out, I apply the shea butter mix to dry hair (to preserve the twist-out), and when I want to twist my hair again, I wash and start all over. I also clarify with an ACV rinse when needed. That's it.

Back to top Go down

What natural hair products are YOU using??? Empty Re: What natural hair products are YOU using???

Post by kimjunebug 5th August 2010, 6:49 pm

It seems like keeping it simple is the way to go. I am slowly turning into a pj and don't want to be! Thanks for your help.
kimjunebug
kimjunebug

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 5th August 2010, 9:31 pm

This is my 1st month natural and I am finding that products with more natural ingredients without things that I can't pronounce work better for my hair. I currently use TJ Tea Tree Tingle for cowashing and giovanni direct leave in. I use sheamoisture coconut hibicus curl line for styling. The only product that I use that isn't mostly natural is my gel. I love henna too.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 6th August 2010, 12:54 am

Yes to Cucumbers Conditioner for my co washes
Giovanni 50:50 shampoo or the Smooth as Silk Shampoo
Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner
Kimmaytube Leave In conditioner mix
Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Vatika Oil
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th August 2010, 1:58 pm

Right now Blended Beauty products. If you like nice and thick products, this is a good line IMO. I have their shampoo, curl quenching conditioner, herbal reconditioner (DC), curl frizz pudding (to control frizz) and kick for curls (refresher).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 6th August 2010, 2:46 pm

Giovanni SAS Conditioner
Giovanni TTT Shampoo
Trader Joes TTT Shampoo and Conditioner
Afroveda Shea Amla Butter and Pur Whipped Gelly
Qhemets AOHC (currently out but love this)
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Priss Pot 6th August 2010, 3:42 pm

Natural products that work for me are:

Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
Shea Butter
Castor Oil
EVOO

Those are the natural products currently in my arsenal right now, but there are others I've used that I love such as Jessicurl's Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner. I plan on buying the gallon in that stuff soon.
Priss Pot
Priss Pot

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 6th August 2010, 11:59 pm

I use aubrey organics glycogen protein balancing conditioner twice a month, or when I feel I need it . Otherwise I use yes to cucumbers to detangle and also as a leave in if I need it. I have been using the shea moisture line for moisturizing and styling.I really like it alot! I also like the komaza hair care line especially the olive oil moisture deep conditioner and the cocconut hair lotion.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 7th August 2010, 12:26 am

I'm experimenting...YAY! NOT! Ok, so I'm using:

Phytospecific intense moisturizing shampoo
Phytospecific Intense nutrition mask (protein packed)
Homemade leave-In (lavender, coconut oil, water) for wet hair
Phyto7 cream-for dry hair
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for deep moisture
Henna (extra protein)...my hair is protein hungry
100% Aloe Vera Gel mixed with Coconut Oil for styling and Phyto curl energizing creme (leaves some flakes...which I'm not liking)

Gees, I use alot of stuff...not all at once though! Smile

MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 10th August 2010, 10:51 pm

I've bounced around and love the all natural lines. I am loving the Kinky Curly Line. I co-wash with Knot Today and add Curly Custard to my dripping wet hair after the shower. I use pure virgin Coconut oil after the Curly Custard and weekly use Rapid Recovery from Miss Jessie's line for deep conditioning.
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th August 2010, 10:10 am

MelMelBee wrote:I'm experimenting...YAY! NOT! Ok, so I'm using:

Phytospecific Intense nutrition mask (protein packed)
Phyto7 cream-for dry hair
100% Aloe Vera Gel mixed with Coconut Oil for styling and Phyto curl energizing creme (leaves some flakes...which I'm not liking)

I looked up the ingredients for Phytospecific products. They are not listed on the site. One source mentioned there are cones in the Vital Bath Creme. Are there cones in the products you use?

Does the Phyto Curl Energizing Creme used alone leave flakes or is it the creme plus the aloe vera gel & coconut oil? TIA
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th August 2010, 10:36 am

MelMelBee wrote:I'm experimenting...YAY! NOT! Ok, so I'm using:

Phytospecific Intense nutrition mask (protein packed) - Phyto PhytoSpecific Intense Nutrition Mask Ingredients: Hibiscus Sabdariffa, Sambucus Nigra, Euphrasia Officinalis, Horsetail (Equisetum arvense), Plantain (Plantago Major) Extracts, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Water, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Acetamide MEA, Shorea Stenoptera Butter, Trimethylsilyamodimethicone, Mango (Mangifera Indica) Seed Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Extract, Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus) Seed Oil (Plant Marrow), Quinoa (Chenopodium Quinoa) Extract, Polyquaternium 10, Keratin Amino Acid, Fragrance, Paridol Butyl, Diazolidinyl Urea, Tocopherol

Phyto7 cream-for dry hair (Is this the PhytoSpecific Moisturizing Styling Cream?)

In case others were intersested in the ingredients in the Phyto products listed.

Phyto Phyto PhytoSpecific Moisturizing Styling Cream Ingredients: Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Hydrogenated Microcrystalline Wax, Glyceryl Stearate, Ceteth-20, Phenyl Trimethicone, Castor (Ricinus Communis) Wax, Quinoa (Chenopodium Quinoa) Oil, Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus) Extract, Glycerin, Althea Officinalis Extract, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Rice (Oryza Sativa) Wax, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Parabens (Ethyl, Butyl), Hexamidine Diisethionate, FD&C Yellow #5.

I'm still interested in finding the ingredients in the shampoo. Please note not all their products contain 'cones, sulfates and mineral oil. As a PJ, I love hearing about products I have not tried.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 11th August 2010, 10:43 am

Hi Chrslvsbks!

Yeah...Phyto was prescribed by my stylist!!! I'm not really feeling it yet! Some of the products have cones, but the products that I have been using have water soluble cones. I've been checking all of them out, because I'm suspicious. How can something without all natural ingredients be natural? The Phytospecific Intense Nutrition Mask was CG approved for a conditioner.

The curl energizer made it flake. I used aloe and coconut oil on twist-outs before and no flakes.

I'm trying to use up what I have, but I'm such a PJ...I sooooooooo want to buy/try some other stuff!

PS-Whenever I want to see ingredients for a product, I search for it on Sephora.
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by ciara89 11th August 2010, 12:50 pm

Right now I'm using the whole SheaMoisture line. But I'm looking for a good leave- in conditioner to do WnG's and to co-wash with..any suggestions?? But I love the SheaMoisture products, it leaves my hair soft and curly but I feel that I could use a little bit more moisture in my hair.
ciara89
ciara89

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 11th August 2010, 1:56 pm

Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus shampoo
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter DT
Shea Moisture Hold n Shine Mist
extra virgin coconut oil
extra virgin olive oil
Vatika oil

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th August 2010, 4:27 pm

ciara89 wrote:Right now I'm using the whole SheaMoisture line. But I'm looking for a good leave- in conditioner to do WnG's and to co-wash with..any suggestions?? But I love the SheaMoisture products, it leaves my hair soft and curly but I feel that I could use a little bit more moisture in my hair.
Many like Yes to Cucumbers and Giovanni Direct Leave In. I have and like the YTC. I have not used the GDLI in a long time so I cannot recall if I liked it or not.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ciara89 11th August 2010, 4:49 pm

@ChrsLvsBks- I did see the YTC line at Target when i was getting my Shea Moisture stuff, but I wasnt surea bout it. Also have you tried the Yes to Tomatoes or Carrots one as well, also I'm having a hard time finding the Giovanni conditioner.
ciara89
ciara89

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 11th August 2010, 5:03 pm

ciara89 wrote:@ChrsLvsBks- I did see the YTC line at Target when i was getting my Shea Moisture stuff, but I wasnt surea bout it. Also have you tried the Yes to Tomatoes or Carrots one as well, also I'm having a hard time finding the Giovanni conditioner.
I have used the YTCarrots in the past. It did nothing for me. Target, Walmart, Ulta, RiteAid and The Vitamin Shoppe and other drugstores carry Giovanni brand products. In drugstores, the line is usually with the Burt's Bees products.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by raslade808 14th August 2010, 2:53 pm

i am using tresemme naturals conditioner with no silicone for co washing, miss jessie's super sudsy for shampoo. I use Qhemet AOHC for a hair butter, i also use the jessicurl too shea! for deep conditioner.

raslade808

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 14th August 2010, 3:17 pm

I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk (SAS) Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Giovanni Direct Leave In as my leave in, I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam. I seal with Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie or EVCO or castor oil.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by gemofacurlgirl 17th August 2010, 11:28 pm

Right now I'm using
trader joes nourish spa for co washes and as a leave in
dr. woods peppermint soap to clarify
sweet almond oil
JBCO
grape seed oil
mixture of tea tree oil ,TJ's NS , profectiv leave in and water for moisture
henna
alma
gemofacurlgirl
gemofacurlgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 27th August 2010, 11:57 pm

Has anyone heard anything about Kimble Hair Care Systems???? They have it at Target (from what I can see online)...Any feedback???
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by saramachara 28th August 2010, 2:06 am

I use:

Avalon Organic Tea Tree Mint Shampoo about once or twice a month
Yes to Cucumbers conditioner for co-washes
Tresemme Naturals conditioner as a leave-in (in love with this!!)
Extra virgin Coconut oil
Extra virgin Olive oil
Shea moisture Shea Butter Hair Masque for DC's
Shea moisture Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
saramachara
saramachara

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 28th August 2010, 2:24 am

The children and I use Qhemet Biologics and Oyin Handmade for styling and maintenance. We use Giovanni Shampoo and Leave in Conditioner. Kinky Kurly Knot Today to detangle before wash. Our conditioners are a bit more than just about everything, don't have a favorite yet. To deep conditon I'll concoct something in the kitchen. We also use evoo or evco to seal after our leave-in before the Qhemet's AOHC. JBCO on our scalp 2xwkly. JBCO, EVOO, or Lil Better Butter on our ends daily after a refresher spritz from OYH.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next