CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why preserve shea mixes?

+2
labon10
tweedledee
6 posters

Go down

Why preserve shea mixes?  Empty Why preserve shea mixes?

Post by tweedledee 28th July 2010, 12:08 pm

More specifically, what ingredient in shea mixes needs preservation? I have a shea mix that I would like to try that has aloe vera gel, oils, and vegetable glycerin in it. I understand that will have to preserve that. But what if I want to make a mix with just shea butter and olive oil or coconut oil? Would I have to preserve that?
tweedledee
tweedledee

Back to top Go down

Why preserve shea mixes?  Empty Re: Why preserve shea mixes?

Post by labon10 28th July 2010, 12:35 pm

I add a little tea tree oil and/or rosemary oil to all of my mixes, to be on the safe side. But I usually mix enough to last a couple of weeks. If your mix is a small batch, say enough to last one week, a preservative may not be necessary.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by LCnewjourney 28th July 2010, 6:53 pm

Ummm...yeah, learn something new everyday! I'm supposed to preserve my shea mixes, huh? How long do they typically last and do they stop working if not preserved??

My hair has been dry lately and I'm trying to figure out the cause--I had been thinking that it was salt in my hair from exercising, but could my sealant no longer be working?

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 29th July 2010, 12:07 am

The only thing that needs to be preserved is the aloe vera.

But if you store the mixture in the fridges it does not need a preservative provided you use it soon I think

Aloe vera is best used fresh anyway so as it sits the less good it does for you. Dont store anything longer than 3 months with aloe vera. They say it is not really effective when mixed in with other things. it is best on its own and not diluted into creams, etc. On its own in the fridge aloe's properties lasts about a week (no preservative). Freezer is really good for it.

Things to preserve

• Rosemary EXTRACT (preserves oils, but not something with water like aloe vera)
  • Vitamin E oil
  • Vitamin C (you can open up a vitamin tablet and use it in the mixture)
  • Tea Tree Oil
  • Lavender EO; keeps it a few months
  • High proof vodka (like everclear, but I doubt you want that on your head); keeps aloe for a year
  • Potassium Sorbate; 6 months to a year (probably best preservative used in tons of food and hair products, but I dont know where you would get that)

I personally would use 2 different preservatives (for each serving of cream only need like 2 drops or so of each). I would choose from the tea tree oil and the vitamin E...then choose from the vitamin c and the lavender oil.

My top choices would be lavender for scent and vitamin e. I hate the smell of tea tree oil.
As for the mix with just shea butter and olive oil or coconut oil, not that does not need to be preserved, but keep it in a nice cool place or refridgerator so the shea butter and coconut oil doesnt liquify. i hear shea butter has a low melting point

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 29th July 2010, 10:39 am

interesting, I didnt think that shea mixes needed to be preserved becaue shea can last up to 18 months. But I guess if you were to add something to your shea butter that has a shorter shelf-life that the shea then it would need to be preserved.

One question: If I mix shea butter with olive oil, do I have to use a preservative. I dont have any preservatives and the olive oil doesnt expire til next year, and the shea lasts 18 months..

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 29th July 2010, 12:38 pm

Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 wrote:interesting, I didnt think that shea mixes needed to be preserved becaue shea can last up to 18 months. But I guess if you were to add something to your shea butter that has a shorter shelf-life that the shea then it would need to be preserved.

One question: If I mix shea butter with olive oil, do I have to use a preservative. I dont have any preservatives and the olive oil doesnt expire til next year, and the shea lasts 18 months..

I make a mix of shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil. All of these ingredients have a long shelf like when separate so I figured they wouldn't need a preservative. I've had it for a couple months and it still seems the same. It still moisturizes, the texture is the same and the smell hasn't changed.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by LCnewjourney 29th July 2010, 3:31 pm

Thanks for the input ladies! I will contine with my shea mixes as is!

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down