CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

curl definition-what to use

+13
whatgetsonmytits
Electrum
ChrsLvsBks
besona
curl_Gurl
Raytay
Cnicoles6
blondie
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
Naturalin2010
WhosThatRedHead
jaylin20032003
C.
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

curl definition-what to use Empty curl definition-what to use

Post by C. 26th July 2010, 9:45 am

How do you define your curls and coils? Do you use gels, butters, mousse, or foam? I'm trying to define my little pen spring coils without adding too much product. I've tried a wash-n-go a while back (forgot to take pics) and it was beautiful. I got a lot of compliments and my cousin who has "good hair" asked me why her hair wont do that..probably because she gets her hair straightened faithfully every week or so with a smoking hot flat iron and refuses to listen when i tell her that her ends have heat damage-they are straight/no curl.

Anywhoo: I was just wondering if it is technique that gives good definition or products or a balanced combo of both. Please share your trials and what you found works for you. I'm more interested in definition thatn hold at the moment.

thanx yall [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

C.

Back to top Go down

curl definition-what to use Empty Re: curl definition-what to use

Post by jaylin20032003 26th July 2010, 9:50 am

i shingled for the first time last week with hello hydration, and my curls were SO DEFINED!!! i though wash n go's got them poppin...NOPE!!! shingling is it for me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 26th July 2010, 10:03 am

okay Jaylin-beautiful name by the way. shingling is just raking the product through your hair in sections, correct? I forgot to mention that my wash-n-go was achieved throught the use of olive oil ecostyler. it was pretty and all but i used too much gel and it never dried-in all the 2/3 days i wore it. the ends were , but not the roots.

i have tried HEHH, but only with a small section of hair and it worked, then i ran out and never bought anymore. I then tried Suave rosemary mint condish with a tad of gel and it also worked really well, but then it disappeared-i think my nieces got me,lol

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 26th July 2010, 10:26 am

I use Kinky Curly Curling Custard in my hair and I shingle as well. KCCC is tricky cuz you have to figure out the right amount to use in your hair to define your curls without putting too much in and making your hair white..... But KCCC doesn't make my hair hard. I've heard that other ladies use Afroveda Whipped Hair Jelly and love it. I seem to recommend this to everyone but this is how I've learned about stuff.... Have you tried Youtube? There are a lot of product reviews on there alonf with demonstrations.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 26th July 2010, 11:27 am

jaylin20032003 wrote:i shingled for the first time last week with hello hydration, and my curls were SO DEFINED!!! i though wash n go's got them poppin...NOPE!!! shingling is it for me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Did you use anything else other than the HEHH? What was your regimine, what did you co-wash with and did you use any oils? By the way, I like your name also. Very unique!
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 26th July 2010, 6:08 pm

I just co wash w/hehh and leave some in and seal with coconut oil. Then i shake and plop w/ a t-shirt and fluff w/ moisturizer (elasta qp mango butter) and a lil more oil on my fingertips when it dries enough. Works for me!

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 26th July 2010, 7:21 pm

Kinda_Curly_Cassie09 wrote:How do you define your curls and coils? Do you use gels, butters, mousse, or foam? I'm trying to define my little pen spring coils without adding too much product. I've tried a wash-n-go a while back (forgot to take pics) and it was beautiful. I got a lot of compliments and my cousin who has "good hair" asked me why her hair wont do that..probably because she gets her hair straightened faithfully every week or so with a smoking hot flat iron and refuses to listen when i tell her that her ends have heat damage-they are straight/no curl.

Anywhoo: I was just wondering if it is technique that gives good definition or products or a balanced combo of both. Please share your trials and what you found works for you. I'm more interested in definition thatn hold at the moment.

thanx yall [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just wanted to add....no such thing! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 27th July 2010, 12:12 am

@blondie- lol, i know, just trying to be facetious. she swears she has what some call "good hair" and that makes her better than other females.. i mean she is conceited anyway but that just makes her feel even better about herself

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cnicoles6 27th July 2010, 1:13 am

I used Uncle Funky's daughter Curly Magic for my wash and go and it turned out great. I used the shingling method and my hair isn't crunchy at all.
Cnicoles6
Cnicoles6

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 27th July 2010, 9:36 am

Naturalin2010 wrote:
jaylin20032003 wrote:i shingled for the first time last week with hello hydration, and my curls were SO DEFINED!!! i though wash n go's got them poppin...NOPE!!! shingling is it for me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Did you use anything else other than the HEHH? What was your regimine, what did you co-wash with and did you use any oils? By the way, I like your name also. Very unique!

i cowashed with hehh, applied cantu shea butter leave in (about a half dollar size), applied a little bit of olive oil, then shingled with the hehh. and many thanks about the name!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Raytay 27th July 2010, 4:19 pm

My curls are much more defined when I leave them the heck alone and let them drip dry (though I hate drippies). I "rake" coconut oil and ecosyler gel through wet hair and let it drip dry. Works every time.
Raytay
Raytay

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 27th July 2010, 6:02 pm

@ Raytay I love your hair...just absolutely gorgeous!
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 27th July 2010, 6:07 pm

@ Raytay I'm just curious how long have you been natural and did you do a BC?
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by besona 28th July 2010, 2:35 am

@RAytay when u apply the oil n eco styler gel on your hair,the gel doesn't clump up n leave little white balls...that's the experience i've had anytime i mix that gel with any other products
besona
besona

Back to top Go down

Post by Raytay 28th July 2010, 5:04 pm

@curl_gurl thanks! I've been completely natural for about 5 years. I never did a bc, I just pressed my hair and let it grow out. My hair is fine, so its always straightened easily. It took about a year and a half.

@besona no, I never get little white balls, but I've heard other people say that about that gel. Again, I use it with soaking wet hair- maybe that makes a difference???
Raytay
Raytay

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 29th July 2010, 3:28 pm

@raytay--cute hair. My hair isnt as long as yours or the same curl pattern. my hair has tight 4a coils and I'm not sure if I could drip dry my hair. Hmmm, I may just try that next week when I dont have to work. Thanx for the idea.

oh yeah almost forgot to ask, do you put the oil on before or after the ecostyler?-- maybe the order helps with the presence or lack of the little white balls

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raytay 29th July 2010, 4:26 pm

@KCC- I use the coconut oil first.
Raytay
Raytay

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th July 2010, 11:30 am

The key to definition (if it is evident when hair is soaking wet or nearly soaking wet) is moisture and keeping it in. Water-based, aloe vera-based products and for some shea butter work. The key with the process is using a product that provides optimum moisture. For me, after months of trial and error, aloe vera works best. I mix it with a leave in conditioner or conditioner or oils and water. The mix is good after cleansing and for second and subsequent days.

As for keeping the moisture in, I like using oils. I've used castor, coconut, EVOO and/or jojoba.

Another thing I noticed works for me lately is twisting hair after cleansing and applying conditioner. When I rinse out the conditioner, I do so in the twists. I undo twists to apply moisturizer and/or hold, depending on style. This way, the curls clump. I'm loving!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Electrum 31st July 2010, 1:29 pm

I just wanted to add that if these products or techniques don't turn out successful for you, it might have something to do with your basic routine. For instance, when I gave up shampoo and started co-washing each day (even in my protective styles) it promoted clumping when I thought that certain areas didn't clump without gel, I just had to encourage them over a long period of time.
Make sure your foundation is solid, before you go making additions. Early in my transition I spent more money and time on a good gel than a good conditioner so I don't wan't you to make the same mistake I did. Wink
Electrum
Electrum

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 1st August 2010, 10:19 am

thanks Chrs and Electrum. That makes a lot of sense. Before when I "tested" my hair to see if I could do a wash-n-go I used HEHH and a fingertip of gel on the back of my hair and clipped the roots(tip from anoth CN reader to help with shrinkage). It turned out wonderfully,but then I ran out of HH and bought Aussie Moist. AM conditions my hair better than HEHH, but doesnt work well with the gel.

Electrum- how did you transition from using shampoo to co-washing? I'd love to give it a try.

Chrs- where can I find aloe vera gel/juice?

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Electrum 1st August 2010, 7:40 pm

Well I'm in the middle of my transition now (6 months), nonetheless my curl definition has been amped up by the co-wash practice even with naked hair. (this probably has a lot to do with Chrs' assertion that it's moisture that is the key clumper of curls) It's been two weeks now since starting so I just want to mention that I am in no way a connoisseur on this thing, do follow up research!
I clarified my hair with Giovanni Triple Treat Shampoo (it has coco-betaine which is able to remove most silicones) before starting. It's one of my favorite shampoos.
During the week as a co-wash I use a concoction of half a bottle of Kinky Curly Knot today mixed with four tablespoons of coconut oil and five tablespoons of aloe vera gel. It softens well in the shower and helps the detangling process begin. I would suggest you buy a cheap conditioner such as V05 instead though because it doesn't cost as much money and if it isn't successful there isn't too much money wasted. I used my KnotToday because I've started using regular conditioner as a leave-in, it's light, and it was under my sink going to waste.
After my hair wash I apply one of two things: TiGI Bedhead Moisture Maniac Conditioner and coconut oil, or Oyin Honey hemp conditioner with the Burnt Sugar Pomade. I apply the conditioner section by section detangling as I go, and then the oil or pomade to my edges, nape and end of my hair before pulling it back into a wet bun. (I never rinse my major conditioner out). On friday nights I use one of my conditioner/sealer combos to braid n' curl my hair and don't co-wash again until monday morning unless I want to (and I usually want to.)

A few tips:
- Make sure you really scrub your scalp to resist buildup
- More is definitely more with conditioner, never be scared to be heavy handed during your wash or leave in
-cones and sulfates go together. Co-washing isn't always a great option for someone who loves cones since they build up on the hair and need to be washed off the hair regularly with some type of shampoo. If you love the HEHH one medium that can be considered is using conditioners w/ cones on the last few days before poo-washing.

Good Luck!
Electrum
Electrum

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 2nd August 2010, 11:31 pm

I purchase aloe Vera juice and gel from either a local health food store or The Vitamin Shoppe. I have also seen them in drugstores and stores like Target and WalMart in the medicine aisles.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by whatgetsonmytits 3rd August 2010, 9:52 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:The key to definition (if it is evident when hair is soaking wet or nearly soaking wet) is moisture and keeping it in. Water-based, aloe vera-based products and for some shea butter work. The key with the process is using a product that provides optimum moisture. For me, after months of trial and error, aloe vera works best. I mix it with a leave in conditioner or conditioner or oils and water. The mix is good after cleansing and for second and subsequent days.

As for keeping the moisture in, I like using oils. I've used castor, coconut, EVOO and/or jojoba.

Another thing I noticed works for me lately is twisting hair after cleansing and applying conditioner. When I rinse out the conditioner, I do so in the twists. I undo twists to apply moisturizer and/or hold, depending on style. This way, the curls clump. I'm loving!

bounce Wow, you're doing pretty much what I"ve been doing lately. I'm still experimenting with the right leave-in conditioner base right now.
whatgetsonmytits
whatgetsonmytits

https://www.youtube.com/whatgetsonmytits

Back to top Go down

Post by whatgetsonmytits 3rd August 2010, 9:55 am

Great advise, @Elektrum!
whatgetsonmytits
whatgetsonmytits

https://www.youtube.com/whatgetsonmytits

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 3rd August 2010, 10:25 am

whatgetsonmytits wrote:Great advise, @Elektrum!

Your hair is so cute!!! How is it styled???
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next