CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about scab hair...HELP!

4 posters

Go down

Question about scab hair...HELP! Empty Question about scab hair...HELP!

Post by LCnewjourney 22nd July 2010, 6:07 pm

Really in need of some assistance here! Is it possible to have scab hair in sections, but not all, of your hair? Some of my new growth feels and looks dry while some other parts look okay. I've only been transitioning for almost 3 months, so I know about the possibility of scab hair, but I'm confused about what mine is doing (especially in the front area and in the nape of my neck).

Also, I'm not sure if I'm moisturizing properly because of the way my hair feels. Some of the new growth feels dry and sometimes my hair looks frizzy, but when I touch it and look at my fingers, I can see product. Not crazy, dripping oil mess, but still, there's a shine on my fingers! Does this mean my hair is moisturized and that the dryness is scab hair??

So confused, somebody help! I'm trying not to become a product junky but I feel like I want to try new moisturizers or something to see what helps. Here's what I've been using:

Giovanni Direct for daily moisture, and sealing with shea butter/coconut oil
When I style, I spritz with a mixture of water, olive oil, tea tree oil, and HEHH (I do a "main style" on Sundays, but redo my hair in 6 bantu knots using this as a light spritz everyday because I work out)

Mmkay, have at it!

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Question about scab hair...HELP! Empty Re: Question about scab hair...HELP!

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd July 2010, 8:09 am

1. Scab hair is the hair that was damaged by the chemical process of relaxing. Yes, it is possible to have scab hair in sections because sometimes only a few sections were damaged instead of the entire scalp. Here are some links with more information: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/transitioning-f7/experiences-with-scab-hair-t4467.htm?highlight=scab

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/transitioning-f7/scab-hair-t3822.htm?highlight=scab

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/general-f3/scab-hair-t3019.htm?highlight=scab

2. IMO you may have dry hair and scab hair. Giovanni Direct is a great light leave in, but you also need to deep condition (DC) with a deep conditioner and balance the moisture and protein in your products. Here is a link to a great article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

Once a week, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk (SAS) Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Direct Leave In as part of the Kimmaytube leave in, I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam. I seal with EVCO. I use the braid outs to style.
HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 23rd July 2010, 9:26 am

I agree with Naturally Esq...it is possible to have scab hair. The areas where I left the relaxer on the longest has scab/dry hair. I have a few photos on my fotki. Be patient and increase moisture to those dry areas and they should slowly change. Giovanni Direct is a great leave in, however, you might consider another leave in if you are protein sensitive.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by LCnewjourney 23rd July 2010, 1:15 pm

Thank you both! I don't think I'm protein sensitive, as my hair has handled protein pretty well, but I do find that the Giovanni direct leaves my hair kind of dull looking. I don't know if I should switch to a new leave-in (my God, another product search?!?) or what.

Yesterday, though, I co-washed and tried kimmaytube's mixture with the Giovanni as the cream base and my hair LOVED it! It feels so soft right now and those dry patches are less so. However, the front still looks frizzy, even though it feels a little better, so I'm guessing that's the scab hair. I remember how much I and my hairdresser used to concentrate on my hairline to get it looking smooth, and now I suppose I'm paying for that.

I'm gonna do a search on here to see if there's a better leave-in that I could also use as a daily moisturizer. Thanks again! BTW, Pinkpearls, your hair is on point!!

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 23rd July 2010, 11:41 pm

Thanks for the compliment LC!

I'm also searching for a good leave-in...one that's moisturizing with excellent slip. For now, I'm using Kinky Curly Knot today mixed with a creamy leave in. KCKT is great at detangling my hair, but not as moisturizing.

Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 25th July 2010, 5:07 am

Scab hair is basically just "texurized/texlaxed" hair.

It is places where the relaxer seeped into your scalp (leaving relaxer too long on areas) and it relaxed your hair inside your scalp a little before it got to grow out.

It is nothing HORRIBLE< but since you want to go natural I doubt you want texturized ends. Just try to keep them moisturized

As for the coconut oil, mines is a drippy mess as well. use less. I was way too heavy handed with it

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down