CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vacation Hair -- to the tropics

+2
dyamonds10
dawn1980
6 posters

Go down

Vacation Hair -- to the tropics Empty Vacation Hair -- to the tropics

Post by dawn1980 21st July 2010, 11:45 am

I am 1 year natural but have been wearing kinky twists. I'd like to wear them but am afraid that swimming in the ocean etc. will have them slipping out of my head. My hair is about collar bone length when stretched. Do any of you curlies have any recommendations for how to wear your hair on vacay? Any vacay stories with natural hair would also be appreciated --such as how you took care of your hair after ocean swimming and what products you took that saved your hair. I am hair type 4a-4b i think. Help!! Am leaving on 7/30/10 for Hawaii.

dawn1980

Back to top Go down

Vacation Hair -- to the tropics Empty Re: Vacation Hair -- to the tropics

Post by dyamonds10 21st July 2010, 3:17 pm

you can still wear the kinky twists. When I vacay ( braids, cornrolls, puffs) I always wash, yes SHAMPOO, then DC everytime I get out of the water. Your hair will love you for it. I never leave beach water or pool water in my hair. I normally take ION swimmer's shampoo from sallys, several vo5 conditioners, DC, and all the oils I use! lol I normally have a hair bag but that is just me. Also before I get in the water I have already saturated my hair with conditioner as well, it gives your hair a barrier while you are in the water until you can wash it out later! Hope this helps!
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 21st July 2010, 3:19 pm

Can't offer swimming tips, as I can't swim. Have you thought about twisting your own hair? A daily spritz of some sort would be important. Any other products would depend on how your hair is styled.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by gigihaitiancurly 21st July 2010, 4:59 pm

I have lived my whole life in the Caribbean and I know some about heat, sun and sea salt.

I would advise you not putting too much product in your hair because the combination of sand, dried sea salt and chlorine from the pool mixed with conditioner/oil from your products will create a thick goo in your hair and trust me it's NOT pretty.
Whether you're planning on twisting or leaving them out (which I personally would do but it's my own opinion) I highly advise you to wash your hair with shampoo everyday because you really don't want to keep the salt from swimming in the ocean in there. You will end up with LOTS of tangles, a lot of breakage and dry dull ugly looking hair. After each wash I would add a light conditioner if the next day you plan on swimming again and your heavier oils/conditioners if you don't plan to go swimming at all.

And if could add something else, it's just my personal opinion but it's vacay! You don't wanna be fussing around with hair all day and night. Just leave it alone and enjoy your time. Buy a huge straw hat and you'll look FAB all the time Smile
gigihaitiancurly
gigihaitiancurly

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany 21st July 2010, 5:26 pm

I was just on a little vacation at Virginia beach in June.. I had two strand twist and swam in the pool and played in the ocean with them. they did shrink a lot and got dizzy esp after I shampoo'd. THIS PAst wknd I was in dc and had twist again, but after swimming, I put my hair in large twist then did an Joel for dinner. I also did two pigtails when I really didn't feel like doing my hair. The hats a great idea to. For products I took trial size shampoo and conditioner, shea butter.
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn1980 21st July 2010, 6:20 pm

Thanks guys for the hat tip. I never even thought about a cute hat or 2. Thanks dyamonds10 for the heads up about the conditioner before swimming. I had heard that a long time ago but I had forgotten. And I am hearing from all of you that I am not there to stress over my hair. I think i'm gonna relax and go with the flow. Except i'l be washing and conditioning my hair in the evening.
I love you guys!!!

dawn1980

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 22nd July 2010, 10:36 am

Have fun in Hawaii!!!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dawn1980 22nd July 2010, 11:31 am

Thanks ChrsLvsBks! I lived there for 6 years so it's kinda like going to my second home! I'm not going to stress about my hair....repeats this...

dawn1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down