CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking Out Cornrows, Braids, Kinky Twists

4 posters

Go down

Taking Out Cornrows, Braids, Kinky Twists Empty Taking Out Cornrows, Braids, Kinky Twists

Post by DivineFavor 21st July 2010, 9:39 am

Good Morning!

I have had my cornrows (with added hair) in for 3 weeks now. So, I will be taking them out very soon! The last time I had them (which was last summer) I took them out and thought I combed it out really well. Well, the next day I went to a stylist for shampoo and treatment and after she washed it my hair was a knotted messed. In order to save my relaxed strands (I was between APL and BSL at that time) she spent 3 hours detangling the matted mess so that she wouldn't have to cut all my hair off. Needless to say I don't want to go through that experience again or maybe I should because then I won't have a choice but to BC! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've said all of this to say what's the proper way to take out the cornrows. What are the steps to take to ensure that the moment I step in the shower to shampoo that I won't be dealing with a matted fiasco? Do I take down all the braids at once and then use a wide tooth comb to comb through and make sure I get all of the shed hair out? Do I add conditioner after that and deep condition the hair before shampooing? Please advise. TIA for your help!
DivineFavor
DivineFavor

Back to top Go down

Taking Out Cornrows, Braids, Kinky Twists Empty Re: Taking Out Cornrows, Braids, Kinky Twists

Post by labon10 21st July 2010, 10:05 am

I saturate the braids with conditioner or olive oil as they are taken down. Comb each braid out separately, to ensure that all the shed is removed. When you get a nice section of unbraided hair, braid it so it does get tangled with the other hair.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Taking Out Cornrows, Braids, Kinky Twists Empty Re: Taking Out Cornrows, Braids, Kinky Twists

Post by krys419 21st July 2010, 3:34 pm

If your really think you did the right thing then yes okay first take each braid down and remove any shed hair with your hands or any matte. I do this and take out all braids. then I go section by section and put conditioner, then comb anything else out along with detangling and then braid it up, then I go on to another section until I'm done.

Then I add coocnut (or olive) oil on with the conditioner and comb it all through. Then I shampoo, then I condition and comb it all through, then let my hair alone. then I rinse it all out while combing under water. Then I Squeeze and towel dry a little and add leave in and comb it in, then I section it off and add some heat protectant and some drops of oil and blow dry in sections

Your experience happened to me as well. My hair was combed through and everything (not braids, just 6 months new growth) and I wanted my hair washed, blown out and straightened. The beautician was SO rough with my hair andwas combing my hair tangling it up.

i just think most salons are not familiar with transitioning hair. I suggest you wash and comb out your hair yourself

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by DivineFavor 21st July 2010, 3:57 pm

Thanks everyone! I will try these suggestions.

krys315 - I think you're right...I'm sure my experience was due a stylist not really knowing how to shampoo and rinse my hair.
DivineFavor
DivineFavor

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 22nd July 2010, 6:57 pm

labon10 wrote:I saturate the braids with conditioner or olive oil as they are taken down. Comb each braid out separately, to ensure that all the shed is removed. When you get a nice section of unbraided hair, braid it so it does get tangled with the other hair.

I agree
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down